Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: In Three Years... - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 9 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

In Three Years... Who will Sonic be in three years?

#31 User is offline Metal Man88 

Posted 21 August 2008 - 10:59 PM

• Time Traveller
  • Wiki edits:46
Yes, back in the day SA1 was hailed as an underwhelming glitchfest.

Guess what? Downhill from there! Hahaahaha... HAAAhaahahahahahahaaaaa!!!!

S1-K with some CD elements is where it's at. But they'll never do that, so Sonic's just screwed.

#32 User is offline Phos 

Posted 21 August 2008 - 11:21 PM

• Going for the high score on whatever that little bar is
My stance: Sega will either get it right, or go bankrupt trying and be bought out by someone who can.

New Challenger is Approaching:
Wall of Text

Truly though, Sega can probably stay afloat on what they have going on right now. But to really answer this question, we have to look at the whole company, because Sonic Team is now a nebulous brand label stuck on to anything remotely relating to anything Sonic Team did in the past. Even Journey of Dreams, which was made by Sega Studio USA got the Sonic Team label. The real problem comes to light: Outside of AM2, Sega kind of sucks right now. Sammy's pachinco machine sales are floundering right now, so instead of cutting development in those areas, they've been cutting R&D departments within Sega. Damit, Sammy, Sega is MAKING MONEY, not losing it. This worries me, Sammy seems to be acting independently of reality, making it seem that they'e problem goes way past stupid, they are insane. Basically, I'm woried that Sammy might cut their good development studios, they have sort of already done this with Amusement Vision. Is AM2 next? Sammy also doesn't seem to realize that the pachinco market is saturated, and there's no point in making very many new machines at this time.

The point is, there might not be any good developers left at Sega to make a good Sonic game.

Another problem is that no one, neither at sega nor in the fanbase, really knows how Sonic should work in 3D. Sonic Adventure got very close, but was let down by some questionable level design. As corny as this might sound, the biggest problem with the newer games is the prevalence of bottomless pits. Sure, if the camera was a team player and let you see the pits, it would be better, but that's more of a band-aid fix, one that is strangely more difficult to apply than the real one, but they keep soldering on. I am also beginning to doubt that anyone at Sega even knows how Sonic should work in 2D any more. It seems they've been misguided by the very marketing strategy the company made in the 90's, it's come back and has actually screwed up games rather than sales this time, though. But with Damizean's engine, we might know soon how Sonic can work in 3D.

Sonic Adventure 2 was where they REALLY screwed up, that is to say, it was the first game that emphasized speed and totally radical anime moves over the traditional physics toy platformer. Sure, you might say that Sonic Adventure 1 had it's share of Hot-Wheels-tracks-in-the-sky levels, but those were in the minority, and typically came before or after a segment of actual platforming. In Sonic Adventure 2, ALL the levels (worth mentioning) are like that. I'm not saying that speed is bad, it's just there's no flinging yourself into the sky off a ramp action, or regular platform to platform jumping, just a twelve foot wide track suspended above a giant pit.

At this point, I could go either way on Sonic Unleashed. But what I fear the most is Sonic Unleashed merely being good. I would rather it be terrible than just good, or else the problem will never really be fixed. All the Sonic X tards, are already guaranteed sales, and if a Sonic game is even technologically sound, it will get good enough reviews that it will sell (Sonic 06 has a 43 on Metacritic, I think it deserves a zero). I'm also worried by the Werehog sections, not because it's "Totally not Sonic", or because of the stretch Armstrong arms, but the possibility that it is being used as a "dump" for regular platforming. Sonic games (including the 2D and 3D ones) can be ranked based on how many quarter pipes there are in them, and that ranking will roughly match how they are held in general regard within the Sonic Scene. The problem here is that is Where Sonic cannot go fast enough to shoot himself straight up off a quarter pipe (and there aren't any in the night levels, afaik), creating that this Sonic game will have no Sonic gameplay. I haven't seen enough daytime to tell whether what I'm looking for is there, I have seen a few quarter pipes though.

I hope they can figure something out. I don't mind waiting. Maybe when the Sonic X tards stop buying the games, they'll be forced to re evaluate the franchise.

E: Metal Man, Sonic Adventure 1 is my favorite Sonic game, in spite of it's underwhelming bosses and occasional glitches. It came SO CLOSE to a perfect 3D Sonic game...
This post has been edited by Phos: 21 August 2008 - 11:25 PM

#33 User is offline Sik 

Posted 21 August 2008 - 11:25 PM

• Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick".
  • Project:being an asshole =P
  • Wiki edits:11

View PostSakura Courage Solo, on Aug 22 2008, 01:43 AM, said:

Well I think to some extent that come Sonic's 20th, so much weirdness will have happened by then that we'll start thinking that Amy is somehow Shadow and Silver's love child. *shrugs*

You just made the newest fanfic ;P

View PostSakura Courage Solo, on Aug 22 2008, 01:43 AM, said:

'Course again, I think we're being at least a LITTLE overly critical of recent games. See, we keep the spirit of the retro Sonic games alive, and that spirit may just live on into the next generation. Maybe then Sonic can go back to his roots as the next generation sees what we see.

I don't think so. Considering all the things I constantly hear from the Daily GDNet, gaming in general is going this way, and people support it...

View PostMetal Man88, on Aug 22 2008, 01:59 AM, said:

Finally somebody who got it straight =P But at least it was mainly because it was a glitchfest (then again, it could have done like SRB2 that despite lacking slopes could retain the flow by taking advantage of the extra dimension). Now the games really suck, and extremely badly =/

#34 User is offline muteKi 

Posted 21 August 2008 - 11:33 PM

• Fuck it
  • Wiki edits:91
SA1, I remember, got very good marks in EGM. Averaged around a 9.0 I think out of 10. I wasn't aware that there were a lot of people at the time that didn't like it.

#35 User is offline The Shad 

Posted 21 August 2008 - 11:42 PM

• ↑ & ↓ & ↻
  • Wiki edits:83
What are you people talking about? I never got these fucking glitches. You're doing it wrong.

#36 User is offline Sik 

Posted 21 August 2008 - 11:53 PM

The bug is more prone to happen on SA2 actually. You have to move very fast so that the game skips the collision with the level. SA1 doesn't have many high falls so it isn't very easy to trigger it, SA2 does. However it's also true that Sonic does wrong in a lot of slopes, falling about always with total momentum loss, and often you either get stuck or fall into a pit. Now that's annoying.

#37 User is offline PC2 

Posted 22 August 2008 - 10:51 AM

• GenMobile > 3DS
  • Project:Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
  • Wiki edits:422

View PostMetal Man88, on Aug 21 2008, 11:59 PM, said:

Guess what? Downhill from there! Hahaahaha... HAAAhaahahahahahahaaaaa!!!!

S1-K with some CD elements is where it's at. But they'll never do that, so Sonic's just screwed.
Maybe to our generation, but not the millenias, who've never truly experienced the classic Sonic. We already know Sonic will never go back to that kind of gameplay. The older gaming community sees Sonic as "what the heck happened to him, why is he trying something new for a change and not running around smashing badniks", but what about those who are just getting to know Sonic? When you're a kid, you don't care about a game's framerate or how stupid the character looks with unnecessary added-on peripherals.

If there was a modern day Sonic 1, we would all be complaining about how slow the game is with its oh-so-annoying spike bug and what not. If there was a modern day Sonic 2, we would all be complaining about why is Tails there and why are there randomly-placed spike pits (Mystic Cave). If there was a modern-day Sonic 3K, Knuckles would be the center of controversy and that Carnival Night drum would probably warrant the game some automatic suckage factor - and a modern day Sonic CD? Forget about it.

But to a kid, all it takes is one good lasting impression - and with games the way they are these days, that could mean anything. When I was a kid, anything with Sonic's name on it seemed cool to me, regardless of how sucky it actually was. The question is moreso, does Sonic still have his appeal to young gamers, and how will they think of him? I don't really see why not. He's colorful, cartoony, and easily likeable to a kid. There's still got to be some appeal, or else Sonic probably wouldn't be around anymore. You kind of have to think about all the fans who aren't running around on the internet and what not.

Try not to confuse this thread with the regular "why does Sonic suck" threads, there's a little more to it than just that.
This post has been edited by PC2: 22 August 2008 - 10:54 AM

#38 User is offline Vincent 

Posted 23 August 2008 - 04:47 AM

• Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Character Artist
  • Project:Sonic 2 HD
  • Wiki edits:6

View PostSik, on Aug 21 2008, 03:51 PM, said:

I think there will be more party and sports games, among other seemingly-ludicrous concepts. At this point, I'm not sure I'd be all that suprised if we saw Sonic running around with a buster or having different elemental superforms (and no I do not mean shields) in the near future.

Definitely, at least until the sales will be brain dead.

#39 User is offline Sazpaimon 

Posted 23 August 2008 - 05:20 AM

• Wiki edits:26
EA will buy Sega, Sega dissolves into nothingness, and Madden NFL 2011 featuring Shitglove the Hedgehog will top the charts.

#40 User is offline Ell678 

Posted 23 August 2008 - 05:44 AM

• Am I Annoying You?
  • Project:Sonic Incursion
  • Wiki edits:6

View PostSazpaimon, on Aug 23 2008, 11:20 AM, said:

EA will buy Sega, Sega dissolves into nothingness, and Madden NFL 2011 featuring Shitglove the Hedgehog will top the charts.

It's almost as though EA bought every other developer out there, so they might as well go ahead and buy SEGA.

#41 User is offline GameNerd Advance 

Posted 23 August 2008 - 08:56 AM

• Wiki edits:1
In three years? Sega will release a shittyfied old-school Sonic title for a Nintendo handheld. Don't deny it, you all saw it coming.

#42 User is offline Lobotomy 

Posted 23 August 2008 - 10:21 AM

• Meme War I Veteran
  • Project:Project: Matter/Energy
  • Wiki edits:94
Simon Jeffrey is trying to go Alex Kidd on Sonic's ass, so we might not see him then.

#43 User is offline OKei 

Posted 23 August 2008 - 02:44 PM

• OKeijiDragon
  • Project:The Game Informant

View PostGameNerd Advance, on Aug 23 2008, 06:56 AM, said:

Sega will release a shittyfied old-school Sonic title for a Nintendo handheld. Don't deny it, you all saw it coming.
I saw it coming with Sonic Advance, personally. :P But that was just me.
This post has been edited by Rockman Dasher: 23 August 2008 - 02:44 PM

#44 User is offline XCubed 

Posted 23 August 2008 - 05:41 PM

• Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center
  • Wiki edits:5
I really disliked Adventure when it first came out. Adventure fields were not "Sonic". The music style was not "Sonic". But years later I grew to appriciate both. I never owned the game until SADX. I think Sonic will be in the same state, we will just have a newer Sonic Rush and maybe a sequel to Unleased and Chronicles.

#45 User is offline Sik 

Posted 23 August 2008 - 06:56 PM

View PostVincent, on Aug 23 2008, 07:47 AM, said:

View PostSik, on Aug 21 2008, 03:51 PM, said:

I think there will be more party and sports games, among other seemingly-ludicrous concepts. At this point, I'm not sure I'd be all that suprised if we saw Sonic running around with a buster or having different elemental superforms (and no I do not mean shields) in the near future.

Definitely, at least until the sales will be brain dead.

I didn't write that, misquoting issue again o_o'

• 9 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users