Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: In Three Years... - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 9 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

In Three Years... Who will Sonic be in three years?

#16 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 21 August 2008 - 05:07 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204

View PostmuteKi, on Aug 21 2008, 09:34 PM, said:

I think that the guys at Sega have actually wanted to stop doing Sonic since SA2 -- that's probably why there's such a big change in style with there.

Sonic was supposed to be the mascot of the Genesis the way Alex Kidd was for the Master System.

And his replacement was meant to be... who? NiGHTS? Billy Hatcher? =P

#17 User is offline muteKi 

Posted 21 August 2008 - 05:49 PM

• Fuck it
  • Wiki edits:91
Because Sonic Adventure was created with the Saturn in mind, I recall reading somwhere that they planned to replace Sonic with Nights, as the Sega mascot. I think the fact that they kept trying to make the Sonic games is why Yasuhara left. (I recall also reading he was tired of the practice of using Sonic as a marketing gimmick, and that was why he stopped working as a level designer for Sonic.)
This post has been edited by muteKi: 21 August 2008 - 05:49 PM

#18 User is offline The Shad 

Posted 21 August 2008 - 06:09 PM

• ↑ & ↓ & ↻
  • Wiki edits:83

View PostTravelsonic, on Aug 21 2008, 04:38 PM, said:

I think SEGA should take a page from Konami/DDR, and get user/fan input.

This is a horrible idea. The Sonic Community, let alone Sonic fans world wide, don't know what they want. They all say one thing "waah, S1-3k, pls" which is where we all generally agree, but after that its downhill. CD and everything else has its seperate fanbases and while some people would try and shove CD elements into the front, others would try and shove Shadow/Sonic Next elements in, and others would try Sonic Rush, resulting in nothing getting done and Sega going "god, our fanbase is fucking stupid" if they already don't think that. People say there's no way Sonic Team doesn't know we exist and thats very likely true. What they forget is we're the minority and while we say we're not gonna buy the games, a million other people do which gives Sega the profits they need to justify marketing to the people who will buy the games and not to a bunch of bitter fans who try and boycott this stuff.

#19 User is offline Hybrid Project Alpha 

Posted 21 August 2008 - 06:27 PM

• It's what's for dinner
  • Project:Getting a life
  • Wiki edits:91
Sonic will team up with Bowser and Eggman will team up with Mario.

#20 User is offline Sik 

Posted 21 August 2008 - 06:39 PM

• Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick".
  • Project:being an asshole =P
  • Wiki edits:11

View PostmuteKi, on Aug 21 2008, 06:34 PM, said:

I think that the guys at Sega have actually wanted to stop doing Sonic since SA2 -- that's probably why there's such a big change in style with there.

Sonic was supposed to be the mascot of the Genesis the way Alex Kidd was for the Master System.

Sonic was made because Alex Kidd looked a lot like Mario (in gameplay terms), that is. Otherwise we would be fans of Alex Kidd =P

View PostThe Shad, on Aug 21 2008, 09:09 PM, said:

View PostTravelsonic, on Aug 21 2008, 04:38 PM, said:

I think SEGA should take a page from Konami/DDR, and get user/fan input.

This is a horrible idea. The Sonic Community, let alone Sonic fans world wide, don't know what they want. They all say one thing "waah, S1-3k, pls" which is where we all generally agree, but after that its downhill. CD and everything else has its seperate fanbases and while some people would try and shove CD elements into the front, others would try and shove Shadow/Sonic Next elements in, and others would try Sonic Rush, resulting in nothing getting done and Sega going "god, our fanbase is fucking stupid" if they already don't think that. People say there's no way Sonic Team doesn't know we exist and thats very likely true. What they forget is we're the minority and while we say we're not gonna buy the games, a million other people do which gives Sega the profits they need to justify marketing to the people who will buy the games and not to a bunch of bitter fans who try and boycott this stuff.

Right now any idea would be a failure. Simply the two extremes are too far. If this was done back in the Adventure time, it would have been easier, because by merely fixing the engine you had most things done. But now we simply have faggots that will get angry if we try to recover anything from the past. Make Eggman more evil? They'll whine because he should be funny. Make Sonic stop saying stupidities? Hell, for them those stupidities are the lifestyle of them! Don't add new characters? Oh, how would you dare to don't add at least 3 new characters? Stop being so insistent of completely unrelated gimmicks? You just ruined the franchise.

I hope you understand. Man, look how we reached. Right now we love Sonic Adventure. Does anybody remember when we considered that Sonic Adventure was one of the worst Sonic games? Because yes, as the time passes, the worse Sonic becomes. And this is proportional to Sega directives, sadly >_>

#21 User is offline Chimpo 

Posted 21 August 2008 - 06:41 PM

View PostSik, on Aug 21 2008, 04:39 PM, said:

Does anybody remember when we considered that Sonic Adventure was one of the worst Sonic games?

What?

#22 User is offline Sik 

Posted 21 August 2008 - 06:47 PM

View PostChimpo, on Aug 21 2008, 09:41 PM, said:

Does anybody remember when we considered that Sonic Adventure was one of the worst Sonic games?

What?

Yeah, don't remember? Back, before '06. Because the engine is so crappy, the gameplay was broken up a lot when compared to the Mega Drive games, and hence nobody liked that. Pre-scripted loops, buggy slopes, going through floors (never suffered that one, but I played SADX so maybe it was fixed there). Also we didn't like the character-mania, which now is even stronger.

However, there weren't stupid gimmicks and such. Probably that's why we like Adventure now, because compared to what we have now, it's extremely good.

#23 User is offline The Shad 

Posted 21 August 2008 - 06:48 PM

• ↑ & ↓ & ↻

View PostChimpo, on Aug 21 2008, 06:41 PM, said:

What?

I thought SA1 was the best of the 3D games. I have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

#24 User is offline Ell678 

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:06 PM

• Am I Annoying You?
  • Project:Sonic Incursion
  • Wiki edits:6
Slighty on topic - After the game Silver The Hedgehog, we'l have Sonic 2010, which will introduce a familiar green and black hedgehog.

Who will go on to have his own title. Unlike STH with guns, and Silver with mental powers, the new hero will use all of Sonic's moves, with a hint of green. The pallette of this new title will be deliberatly tampered with.

And SEGA dies. Sonic dies. We die. *shot* ;)

#25 User is offline Sik 

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:16 PM

You forgotten to mention a gray and red echidna. Anyways, the one that was about to get its own game was Knuckles actually. That was before '06 though. Sega ran a poll when Shadow was released in order to see what other character would people like to have its own game.

#26 User is offline Rainer 

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:01 PM

• Wiki edits:35

View PostThe Shad, on Aug 21 2008, 06:48 PM, said:

View PostChimpo, on Aug 21 2008, 06:41 PM, said:

What?

I thought SA1 was the best of the 3D games. I have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

That's equivalent to saying:

I thought genital warts was the best compared to AIDS, cancer, ebola, and rabies. I have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

This post has been edited by Rainer: 21 August 2008 - 08:01 PM

#27 User is offline The Shad 

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:04 PM

• ↑ & ↓ & ↻
A Knuckles game would play more exploration than a sonic game. It'd be a nice change of pace as long as it wasn't SEARCHING FOR FUCKING EMERALD SHARDS

That's equivalent to saying:

I thought genital warts was the best compared to AIDS, cancer, ebola, and rabies. I have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

Maybe if you're talking about Shadow or Sonic Next. SA1 was a solid game that could've used some improvements engine wise (ftr, I never experienced half the glitches alot of people complain about).
This post has been edited by The Shad: 21 August 2008 - 08:12 PM

#28 User is offline LordOfSquad 

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:07 PM

• let's don't forget about it
  • Project:Comic drawing, game designing, working, dying.
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostOverlord, on Aug 21 2008, 04:07 PM, said:

And his replacement was meant to be... who? NiGHTS? Billy Hatcher? =P

NiGHTS, I believe. I remember reading somewhere that NiGHTS was supposed to be super popular, and eventually replace Sonic or something like that, but it never happened.

#29 User is offline Machenstein 

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:57 PM

Three years isn't really a long enough time for significent change. The Sonic series is really spontaneous and I'm sure it will continue to go in different directions and try new themes. The very nature of Sonic is continually subject to change. Technology is evolving, Sonic Team members come and go, and pop culture itself changes.

Contemplating on all those factors, is anything really final? Sonic will not stay the same as he is today just as he did not stay the same as he was on the Genesis. For example, had Super Mario 64 not ushered in the 3D revolution, Sonic would have never had to conform with it. The industry saw fit for every game franchise to go 3D because technology was evolving and the market saw 3D as a natural progression from 2D. It wasn't. That's what we thought back then, but now we know better.

Progressive 2D might usher in its own revolution. Just look at the new Wario Land game. If technology continues to evolve and the industry sees fit to accept progressive 2D as a widespread medium, Sonic will conform with it. That would be the significent change Sonic has needed for the past decade.

But all that would take more than three years. As for what will happen for the next three years, it all depends on what happens after 2008 has come and gone. Sonic Chronicles will come out next month and if that ends up well received, we can expect a new narrative template for the series instead of more Sonic Adventure hogwash. If Sonic Unleashed ends being a polished game, we can expect more Sonic games to look and play like it, minus the Werehog, plus some other gimmick. We might get another Sonic Rush game too. Anything can go, really.

#30 User is offline Sakura Courage Solo 

Posted 21 August 2008 - 10:43 PM

• I am a Woodpecker! Except in Dirt!
  • Project:A Sprite-Based Dollmaker and a Card Game
Well I think to some extent that come Sonic's 20th, so much weirdness will have happened by then that we'll start thinking that Amy is somehow Shadow and Silver's love child. *shrugs*

'Course again, I think we're being at least a LITTLE overly critical of recent games. See, we keep the spirit of the retro Sonic games alive, and that spirit may just live on into the next generation. Maybe then Sonic can go back to his roots as the next generation sees what we see.

• 9 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users