Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Original Project Discussion Thread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 46 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Original Project Discussion Thread Initial concepts, contributions, and material

#31 User is offline Skaarg 

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:03 PM

• Wiki edits:4
Forget this project. I want Varion Icaria to finish his Sonic 4.
=P

Anyways the way I see it if we start a second community project right now. People will leave S2HD for S4 and then S2HD will die off quickly, or both projects will be short staffed and both will die a slow death. Maybe hold off on this until (as someone said on IRC) a demo of S2HD is released.

#32 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:06 PM

There's no reason to hold off one project for another because they're completely separate. If people leave to work on another project, that's their choice; perhaps they just found one more interesting than the other. That's no reason for concern.

#33 User is offline Trunks 

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:15 PM

• AGAIN TRY
  • Project:The Bancast, Lone Stars, LOVE
  • Wiki edits:30

seeing how well the Sonic 2 HD project is running

Hahahahaha.

Okay.

#34 User is offline Phoebius 

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:23 PM

• Coucou
  • Project:iOS Game
QUOTE (FinalBeyond @ Jul 18 2008, 08:30 PM) [post="208035"]Posted Image
Background originally made in a great hoax from "I don't remember the name sorry".
Everything was from some games.

2:
Posted Image
What I did, in 95% from scratch. It has the same feeling, the sonic spirit, but it is totally original.

#35 User is offline GHNeko 

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:35 PM

• sega stockholm syndrome
  • Project:Competitive Smash Stagelist
But isn't that sorta like cheating?

#36 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:41 PM

View PostGHNeko, on Jul 18 2008, 03:35 PM, said:

Are you kidding? That's an excellent method of making level art! And honestly, I can't really argue with the results—it captures the feeling perfectly!

#37 User is offline FinalBeyond 

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:43 PM

• Wiki edits:1
Consider my words retracted. Don't see many background artists at spriting forums I go to, but there's some excellent stuff here. :p

That is actually a very good method for doing it, too.

#38 User is offline GHNeko 

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:49 PM

View PostTweaker, on Jul 18 2008, 03:41 PM, said:

View PostGHNeko, on Jul 18 2008, 03:35 PM, said:

Are you kidding? That's an excellent method of making level art! And honestly, I can't really argue with the results—it captures the feeling perfectly!

Well, alright. I agree, it looks something out of a Sonic game. I only asked because it seemed like taking the layout of someone else's work and then just replastering your own art. You know, like pixel dolls on dA and stuff.

#39 User is offline MKAmeX 

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:58 PM

• Project:Needlemouse, Sonic Boom, Graphic Design
  • Wiki edits:7
This sounds like a great idea! I'd be more than willing to make art for this. I don't make backgrounds very often, but I could try.

#40 User is offline PC2 

Posted 18 July 2008 - 03:03 PM

• GenMobile > 3DS
  • Project:Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
  • Wiki edits:422
I was going to state this earlier, but got kicked off the computer.

If we are going to make a Sonic 4, we need to remember how each game was progressively coming closer to 3D in terms of art, concept, and engine, as opposed to the flatness of the original game. Zones became highly detailed with more realistic texturing styles such as embedded chrome and carved wood, each with at least one noticeable 3D element, gameplay-wise. Character sprites should also reflect this, so something similar to the Sonic 3 sprites is pretty much a must. The title screens were pre-rendered, too. I think a good example to take for a Sonic 4 would be linking together Sonic 3K, Chaotix, and Sonic Xtreme, and giving them each a close examination to see what would fit correctly to give it the same feel as the classics, but how to "fill the gap" correctly without going too far, so to speak.

Now that I think of it, something inbetween the Sonic 3K and Sonic Xtreme sprites would work really well - the Xtreme sprites have almost perfect perspective, they're pre-rendered, and they have smoother animation. The only thing wrong with them is that they're too big for a Genesis resolution game, and the perspective isn't exactly the same. It could be almost like Sonic and DKC put together or something. What's also important to remember though, is that Sonic 1, 2, and 3K were Genesis/MegaDrive games, therefore it would only make sense to create a game that felt like a Genesis/Megadrive game - using the original soundset with only few higher quality instruments, if any, limiting the color palette and special effects, etc. are all necessary to do this.

We already know that Retro Sonic XG is supposed to be a continuation of the 16-bit series, but if we're actually going to make a game called "Sonic the Hedgehog 4", then perhaps we may as well make it feel more like the other 3, and a bit less like something you'd find on Saturn or something.
This post has been edited by PC2: 18 July 2008 - 03:40 PM

#41 User is offline Phoebius 

Posted 18 July 2008 - 03:32 PM

• Coucou
  • Project:iOS Game
I think the best way to make some good sonic graphics are to start from something already existing, and then editing it until it's nearly totally original.

Just another example, for the bumpers I tried to make :

At first, I screenshot all the bumpers that were actually in sonic games,
Posted Image
and then I tried to make a mix of them, with the best elements.
Posted Image

Tadaaa, a new sprite, sonic spirit, and doesn't look like it has been edited from something existing. I'm pretty sure that this method was used by sonic programmers, too.

Here is another example, I tried to make a nice end pannel by editing the sonic 1's one :

Posted Image

Keeping the base, and then paint editing :p

EDIT : Another wip from dioxaz that could have fit for an aqua zone
http://steevboss.free.fr/essai_rx5.mp3
This post has been edited by Phoebius: 18 July 2008 - 04:11 PM

#42 User is offline Aesculapius Piranha 

Posted 18 July 2008 - 05:33 PM

• つづく
  • Project:Diva
  • Wiki edits:6
I'd like to say the community should do a sonic 4... but it should have a working title so it won't be put down before its too late.

If for no other reason to show there is interest in such a crazy idea by SEGA.
This post has been edited by Aesculapius Piranha: 18 July 2008 - 05:35 PM

#43 User is offline GHNeko 

Posted 18 July 2008 - 05:49 PM

You know what. I'm all +1 for this idea. But just don't call it Sonic 4. Sega has been cool with communities like us and Stadium and Cult for a while now, to my knowledge. Let's not push them to pull a Squaresoft on us. A remake of Sonic 2 in HD. Okay, but honestly. Where do we get off calling an original sonic fangame "Sonic 4"

Just call it something else, like, Sonic Retro 1 or something. Iunno. Just don't call it "Sonic 4"

We like Sega, lets not spit in their face.

#44 User is offline MKAmeX 

Posted 18 July 2008 - 06:06 PM

• Project:Needlemouse, Sonic Boom, Graphic Design
  • Wiki edits:7
QUOTE (Phoebius @ Jul 18 2008, 01:32 PM) [post="208078"]Posted Image
and then I tried to make a mix of them, with the best elements.
Posted Image

Tadaaa, a new sprite, sonic spirit, and doesn't look like it has been edited from something existing. I'm pretty sure that this method was used by sonic programmers, too.

Here is another example, I tried to make a nice end pannel by editing the sonic 1's one :

Posted Image

Keeping the base, and then paint editing :p

EDIT : Another wip from dioxaz that could have fit for an aqua zone
http://steevboss.free.fr/essai_rx5.mp3[/quote]

That could work. By mixing Sonic 3, Chaotix, and Extreme styles together (I also mixed a few colors in, like swapping some blues from Sonic 2, and other stuff.), I came up with this:
Posted Image

Though it actually came out looking more like something from an older STI game (Like Sonic spinball).

#45 User is offline DimensionWarped 

Posted 18 July 2008 - 07:33 PM

• Erinaceous!
  • Wiki edits:5
The idea of a particular community doing a Sonic 4 community project isn't a particularly new one, and it isn't a particularly likely idea to reach fruition either.

In fact, I can't think of many community projects at all that have succeeded. For the sake of not adding to that statistic, it might behoove you to not split your resources.
This post has been edited by DimensionWarped: 18 July 2008 - 07:34 PM

• 46 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users