Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Original Project Discussion Thread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 46 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Original Project Discussion Thread Initial concepts, contributions, and material

#16 User is offline Damizean 

Posted 18 July 2008 - 11:56 AM

• As classic as rock
  • Project:Various projects
  • Wiki edits:1
Phoebius, weren't you working on a Sonic 4 game? What ever happened to that?

...ProSonic.... fap fap fap...

All I can read when someone refers to ProSonic is "fap fap fap". You guys are a little too excited for an engine that hasn't been even released yet, aren't you? If I ever wanted this thing to be a reality I'd use something that's good and already exists, like Retro Sonic or the E02 engine.

Posted Image

... Oh, hai. There you are :D
This post has been edited by Damizean: 18 July 2008 - 11:59 AM

#17 User is offline PsychoSk8r 

Posted 18 July 2008 - 12:03 PM

• HighKnights
  • Project:30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
  • Wiki edits:19

View PostTweaker, on Jul 18 2008, 05:39 PM, said:

... nobody "demands" a community project.

Exactly what I thought when I read the sentance =P

#18 User is offline Jayextee 

Posted 18 July 2008 - 12:08 PM

• Comic Mischief
  • Project:I DONE MAKED GAMES.
  • Wiki edits:27

Also remember that the inevitable "art must be originally drawn, not borrowed" concept is likely to cut the available level artists down to a small fraction.

Oh yeah. I can think of so precious little artists who do stuff from scratch. Although, I can do that for zone art, I haven't tried my hand at spriting yet. I mean, ideally my hack Sonic One is going to have as much original content as I can possibly get in there, but there's already some re-used content (Such as Pyramid Pyromania's lava, for example).

And then, there's music. How many projects or hacks out there can seriously boast 100% originally-composed music?

#19 User is offline MathUser 

Posted 18 July 2008 - 12:10 PM

• 3rd top wiki contributor
  • Wiki edits:14,865
I'd like to see a teamup to create a new old school Sonic game. But as Jay says, don't call it Sonic 4. If Sega ever makes a game called Sonic 4 then the two could get confused by google searches, plus it sounds really fanish. Theres probably alot of Super Mario hacks out there called SMB4. I think a team project would be the best way to make a complete game, theres already alot of incomplete hacks out there. It would be nice to see another complete one.

#20 User is offline P.P.A. 

Posted 18 July 2008 - 12:11 PM

• SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER
  • Project:Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
  • Wiki edits:21
QUOTE (Damizean @ Jul 18 2008, 06:56 PM) [post="207999"]Posted Image

... Oh, hai. There you are :D
[/quote]
Wait.

And yeah, I also agree with JXT.
This post has been edited by P.P.A.: 18 July 2008 - 12:11 PM

#21 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 18 July 2008 - 12:20 PM

You could always call it "Sonic Reborn" or something. =P

#22 User is offline SephyUK 

Posted 18 July 2008 - 01:16 PM

• WHY SO CURIOUS?
  • Project:Some Freakishly Long Anime
  • Wiki edits:5
I think Saxman did mention in the topic about ProSonic that if it was for a good cause, he could release something for certain people early or something. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

So yeah, this could be good as promotion for ProSonic.

#23 User is offline Phoebius 

Posted 18 July 2008 - 01:17 PM

• Coucou
  • Project:iOS Game
About the music : here is some of the music that Dioxaz (french artist) composed, originaly for another fan game, but finaly given for Brunni's project. That would have been the music for cosmic city.
http://steevboss.fre...smic%20city.mp3

About my project : Brunni is having too much work, and I'm not able to make a project only by myself, because of time and lack of knowledge in programming.

About the idea of a "Sonic 4" : maybe the title is not appropriate, but you see the idea. I think the best way to take would be to take Sonic 1 as the reference. Simple levels, not too much objects, maybe only sonic playable. Titles zone à la sonic, with the same first letter thing, etc...

I'd like it to be a community project, to be sure that it will end, that a lot of people work on it. Same idea as sonic 2 HD : we are open to all suggestions, and keep the best of each member's work.

EDIT : sorry, I called Dioxaz Malan for some unknown reasons o_o
This post has been edited by Phoebius: 18 July 2008 - 02:09 PM

#24 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 18 July 2008 - 01:22 PM

That music is awesome! I heard the piano sections, and I instantly thought this was some sort of Sonic CD level I was playing in. Very cool stuff, very appropriate. :(

EDIT: FUCK, Dioxaz made that song? No wonder!

#25 User is offline saxman 

Posted 18 July 2008 - 01:23 PM

• Oldbie
  • Wiki edits:136
Whatever it is called, I like the concept. I have been talking to a couple people about doing level art that could be used to construct some levels to show off ProSonic. Perhaps those level tiles could be incorporated into this project. But either way, it'd be a huge favor to me if this potential project used my engine, and I hope I can offer something in return.

EDIT: On the note of private early releases, I did in fact say that. I would donate an early release to any promising project.
This post has been edited by saxman: 18 July 2008 - 01:26 PM

#26 User is offline FinalBeyond 

Posted 18 July 2008 - 01:30 PM

• Wiki edits:1
I think the biggest challenge in regards to level art would be getting talented background makers. Foregrounds aren't too hard to make, from my experience, but making backgrounds from scratch is one heck of a challenge.

#27 User is offline Rika Chou 

Posted 18 July 2008 - 01:40 PM

• Adopt
  • Wiki edits:4

View PostQjimbo, on Jul 18 2008, 11:33 AM, said:

It may be a surprise for you to know there was a Sonic 4 in development, involving LOst, Stealth, AJ Freda and other well known members. It was for the M86K though and has had no work done on it for the past 2 years or so.

1. Jan Abaza, not AJ Freda.
2. Wasn't it kind of sort of a secret to the general public? Just a thought.

I'm kind of thinking the same general deal here. Unless one single person handles the philosophy on what the game should be like and others simply do art and shit, this is likely not to work out. Also remember that the inevitable
"art must be originally drawn, not borrowed" concept is likely to cut the available level artists down to a small fraction.

If you think you can do it, go ahead, but nobody "demands" a community project.

I've actually stopped borrowing art lately, it's one of the reasons that my hack is progressing so slowly. While I am still using some borrowed art, a lot of my recent stuff is all mine.

#28 User is offline P.P.A. 

Posted 18 July 2008 - 01:43 PM

• SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER
  • Project:Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
  • Wiki edits:21

View PostFinalBeyond, on Jul 18 2008, 08:30 PM, said:

I think the biggest challenge in regards to level art would be getting talented background makers. Foregrounds aren't too hard to make, from my experience, but making backgrounds from scratch is one heck of a challenge.

*cough * cough*

#29 User is offline The Shad 

Posted 18 July 2008 - 01:58 PM

• ↑ & ↓ & ↻
  • Wiki edits:83
Well, its been said like 5 times or more now, but don't call it Sonic 4 :P

Now if only I had something useful I could contribute

#30 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 18 July 2008 - 01:59 PM

• Project:Sonic Lost World: Nonexistent Six/Fixed Edition; Sonic Genesis Adventure (Let's see how long this lasts :V)
  • Wiki edits:10
Well that background isn't too bad. The trees look too much like cones though.

Also why would there be a level outside a castle in a Sonic game... well never mind I guess they made that Hang Castle in Sonic Heroes.

• 46 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users