Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Basic Questions & Answers thread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 390 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Basic Questions & Answers thread NEWBIES: Start here!

#5821 User is offline biggestsonicfan 

Posted 23 February 2017 - 08:44 PM

• Model2B Junkie
  • Project:Sonic the Fighters ... Always
Is it wrong to disassemble an emulator and manipulate it's code for your own purposes if the emulator itself is not an open source project? What is the community's take on this for possibility to gain further knowledge and insight from closed source engineering from fellow reverse engineers who withhold code which could be valuable to others?

#5822 User is offline kazblox 

Posted 23 February 2017 - 08:52 PM

• Project:Sonic 3?

View Postbiggestsonicfan, on 23 February 2017 - 08:44 PM, said:

Is it wrong to disassemble an emulator and manipulate it's code for your own purposes if the emulator itself is not an open source project? What is the community's take on this for possibility to gain further knowledge and insight from closed source engineering from fellow reverse engineers who withhold code which could be valuable to others?

This is entirely a moral ethics and law, but most importantly an ethics question. The answer for me is obvious: If the emulator is old or the author doesn't give a crap about it anymore, I say go for it.

#5823 User is offline DigitalDuck 

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:42 PM

• Arriving four years late.
  • Project:TurBoa, S1RL
If all you're doing is gaining insight and knowledge, go ahead and disassemble every program ever made; I don't see there being any problem (at least as far as morals/ethics go; some countries do restrict it legally, though).

It's only really an issue when you're taking the code and using it in your own projects, because then it's theft.

#5824 User is offline Neo 

Posted 24 February 2017 - 04:30 AM

• Clackerjack
  • Wiki edits:1
Do you intend on ever sharing your modification with other people? If not, go ahead.

Contact the author. If they're okay with your modification, go ahead.

If the author is unreachable and the project is dead, go ahead.

Otherwise, you're pissing on someone whose work you clearly value enough to start yours from, so respect their wishes.

#5825 User is offline biggestsonicfan 

Posted 24 February 2017 - 07:58 AM

• Model2B Junkie
  • Project:Sonic the Fighters ... Always

View PostNeo, on 24 February 2017 - 04:30 AM, said:

Do you intend on ever sharing your modification with other people? If not, go ahead.

Contact the author. If they're okay with your modification, go ahead.

If the author is unreachable and the project is dead, go ahead.

Otherwise, you're pissing on someone whose work you clearly value enough to start yours from, so respect their wishes.

I do not intend to release the modified version.

I have been trying to contact the author for at least 10 years.

The project is always in limbo because the author comes and goes for whatever reason.

I just want to learn more about a game which has huge hidden potential, but the format is mostly unexplored.

#5826 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 24 February 2017 - 08:26 AM

• NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev
  • Wiki edits:9

View Postbiggestsonicfan, on 23 February 2017 - 08:44 PM, said:

I'd at least try hitting up the emulator author, maybe explain your intentions. People can be surprisingly open in the name of education.

I have been trying to contact the author for at least 10 years.

Edit: Eh, in that case, given the nature of this entire hacking scene, I think it'd be pretty hypocritical for anyone to throw shade on you for not having permission, especially since you actually tried to contact the author.
This post has been edited by Cooljerk: 24 February 2017 - 08:27 AM

#5827 User is offline Irixion 

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:31 PM

• Project:Life
  • Wiki edits:152
So, small question. Since I've been out of the scene for a while, (read: life), I'm just wondering if there are any rom hacks out there that add Tails into vanilla Sonic 1 and Sonic 2, with all of his abilities from S3K. I'm not so keen on changes to the vanilla experience, except this addition would allow for some much wanted co op. I'm sure there are, but from my quick search I'm unable to find anything.

Help is much appreciated. :)

#5828 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:35 PM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
So you're asking for hacks that have a Sonic & Tails mode like S3K, but are otherwise unchanged?

#5829 User is offline Irixion 

Posted 06 March 2017 - 04:00 PM

View PostMainMemory, on 06 March 2017 - 03:35 PM, said:

So you're asking for hacks that have a Sonic & Tails mode like S3K, but are otherwise unchanged?

Yes. I'm getting my little sister into Sonic (spending money out the booty buying all the 360 games for her), and we've picked up S3K, and I fly her past parts she can't do. I'd like to get her to play Sonic 1 and 2, but they're not forgivable, and I really would like to play with her :u

#5830 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 06 March 2017 - 05:04 PM

Sonic Classic Heroes might be what you want, I think most/all of the extras can be turned off, allowing you to play just S1 or just S2 with Sonic & Tails.
This post has been edited by MainMemory: 06 March 2017 - 05:53 PM

#5831 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:35 PM

• NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev
  • Wiki edits:9

View PostMainMemory, on 06 March 2017 - 05:04 PM, said:

Sonic Classic Heroes might be what you want, I think most/all of the extras can be turned off, allowing you to play just S1 or just S2 with Sonic & Tails.

There is also the official Taxman port of Sonic 1, as well.

#5832 User is offline Irixion 

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:14 AM

View PostCooljerk, on 06 March 2017 - 07:35 PM, said:

View PostMainMemory, on 06 March 2017 - 05:04 PM, said:

There is also the official Taxman port of Sonic 1, as well.

Care to elaborate?

I looked at SCH, and I'll probably have to go with that if I can't find anything resembling what I'm looking for. (The top speed adjustment is a compromise I'm not a fan of) If I had time, I would just go and make it myself :v:

#5833 User is offline Ralakimus 

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:03 PM

• Hang the DJ
  • Project:Sekrit stuff and Sega Virtua Processor research
I would like to know some really good optimization tricks I could use when it comes to MegaDrive tile manipulation. I'm making some rather basic code that allows you to scroll art via animated tiles, which is generated by code, and have a static image overlaying it, to allow for artificial layering without taking up a ton of ROM space.

Currently, it pretty much does it similarly to how Marble Zone handles scrolling its lava, in which the original data is like a bitmap that gets scrolled and then converted to tiles. Difference being is that it allows for custom sizes and an overlay image. Currently it doesn't make the game lag, but it does take a lot of CPU usage.

#5834 User is offline Gameboiadvance 

Posted 27 March 2017 - 12:05 AM

I was going to ask (and I didn't know just where to ask) how to open uncompressed PRS files. .pvm files are normally what comes out, and I can't seem to figure out how to open them, and some I don't even think are images. I can upload a few for testing in case anyone wants to know, and yes, I did use the prsdec tool, more specifically, prsdec auto.

#5835 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:11 AM

The prsdec tool is unreliable, I wouldn't use it. Puyo Tools has support for PRS compression/decompression.

The data inside a PRS file can be anything. The Sonic Adventure games on Dreamcast use PRS compression for textures, models, and even code. Sonic Adventure DX uses PRS compression for the Game Gear ROM files.

• 390 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users