Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: So, you want to start hacking Sonic? - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

So, you want to start hacking Sonic? PART 1: Newbie starting guide.

#16 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 08 June 2009 - 01:44 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
Unless specifically said, no. Your best bet is to use something like Parallels.

#17 User is offline Graxer 

Posted 08 June 2009 - 03:15 PM

• Wiki edits:71
Sorry for the noob question, but is it possible to split and fully edit a hack that has already been edited in SonED1? I have made a layout hack of EHZ1 and am interested to know whether I can.

I have decided that my hack shouldn't have it's own thread, (At the moment at least) as projects that never got anywhere clutter the forums. In a way it is just me experimenting with SonED1 anyway. If anyone wants to check it out, here is my first attempt at editing S2. Its a SonED1 EHZ1 layout hack, with ChaoSaX used to edit palettes.

Sonic 2 EHZ1 Layout Hack

I am aware the waterfall in the background scrolls in a wierd way; I haven't changed any code yet. I'd be interested to know what people think though.
This post has been edited by Graxer: 08 June 2009 - 03:16 PM

#18 User is offline Mikel 

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:28 PM

• Jack-O is her name-o!
  • Project:MUGEN Stuff
  • Wiki edits:2,699
QUOTE (Graxer @ Jun 8 2009, 12:15 PM)
Sorry for the noob question, but is it possible to split and fully edit a hack that has already been edited in SonED1? I have made a layout hack of EHZ1 and am interested to know whether I can.

I have decided that my hack shouldn't have it's own thread, (At the moment at least) as projects that never got anywhere clutter the forums. In a way it is just me experimenting with SonED1 anyway. If anyone wants to check it out, here is my first attempt at editing S2. Its a SonED1 EHZ1 layout hack, with ChaoSaX used to edit palettes.

Sonic 2 EHZ1 Layout Hack

I am aware the waterfall in the background scrolls in a wierd way; I haven't changed any code yet. I'd be interested to know what people think though.

Well, not really, because if you split a rom that has been already edited in SonED1 (I know that you only edited EHZ Act 1), you would end up with the original EHZ Act 1 layout and Start Position, if you want the layout of EHZ Act 1 you edited with SonED1, this screenshot will tell you what to click:

And after you click Level Layout in the "Write Data->File" Menu, you will find a file named "S2lev.dat" (Without the Apostrophes), if the level you save that file as is EHZ1, you will need to rename it to "EHZ_1.bin" (Again, without the Apostrophes), and place it in the layout folder that is inside your level folder in your Sonic 2 Disassembly (It only works after you split S2.bin).

Then, you will have to edit the Start Locations in the ASM File, to do that, open up s2.asm and search for "WrdArr_StartLoc:" (Yet again, without the Apostrophes), and when you are at that label, change the following line:

Syntax Highlighted Code: ASM
	dc.w	$60,	$28F	; $00

To:

dc.w	$1B,	$41	; $00 ; EHZ1

That will be your start location (I used SonED2 to check where you put the start location, and I had to include the "; EHZ1" in that line because that will tell you what Zone and Act it is).

And for the EHZ Background in your hack, do you want it to scroll, or not?

Well, I hope you can understand, and I hope to see updates to your hack in the near future.
This post has been edited by Mikel: 23 October 2010 - 11:19 PM

#19 User is offline Graxer 

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:53 AM

Thanks for the help! I will try the ASM alterations at some point later.

I don't think I want the background to scroll, no. What would I do to fix that?

Thanks again for your help! smile.png

#20 User is offline Alriightyman 

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:43 AM

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Project:0101001101101111011011100110100101100011 00000010: 0101001100000011 01000101011001000110100101110100011010010110111101101110
  • Wiki edits:5
You could also rip the level data out of the rom via hex editor. Iirc all the level data is moved to the end of the rom.

#21 User is offline Mikel 

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:11 AM

• Jack-O is her name-o!
QUOTE (Graxer @ Jun 9 2009, 02:53 AM)
Thanks for the help! I will try the ASM alterations at some point later.

I don't think I want the background to scroll, no. What would I do to fix that?

Thanks again for your help! smile.png

You're Welcome, and if you want a background that doesn't scroll, use Sky Chase Zone's background (Even though it doesn't move with you wherever you go).

So, go to "JmpTbl_SwScrlMgr:" (Without the Apostrophes), and change the following line:

dc.w SwScrl_EHZ-JmpTbl_SwScrlMgr	; $00

To:

dc.w SwScrl_SCZ-JmpTbl_SwScrlMgr	; $00 ; EHZ

I hope this can work.

#22 User is offline Graxer 

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:11 AM

QUOTE (Mikel @ Jun 9 2009, 02:28 AM)
And after you click Level Layout in the "Write Data->File" Menu, you will find a file named "S2lev.dat" (Without the Apostrophes), if the level you save that file as is EHZ1, you will need to rename it to "EHZ_1.bin" (Again, without the Apostrophes), and place it in the layout folder that is inside your level folder in your Sonic 2 Disassembly (It only works after you split S2.bin).

I have done as you said and sucessfully imported my layout and start point into my disassembly. I also sucessfully imported the palette the same way. However, when I imported the object layout by replacing EHZ_1.BIN in the objects folder with the SonED's S2Obj.dat, (re-naming it too of course) it not only has my layout of objects, but also the original layout too. Can this be fixed? (I assume it's due to the difference between object positions in the assembly code and EHZ_1.BIN, but I may be wrong)

Also my disassembly doesn't work with SonED 2 due to the lack of project files. Can I create project files so it works as it should?

EDIT: Also, thanks for the help! The scrolling issue is fixed now.
This post has been edited by Graxer: 09 June 2009 - 09:27 AM

#23 User is offline Mikel 

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:21 AM

• Jack-O is her name-o!
QUOTE (Graxer @ Jun 9 2009, 06:11 AM)
QUOTE (Mikel @ Jun 9 2009, 02:28 AM)

I have done as you said and sucessfully imported my layout and start point into my disassembly. I also sucessfully imported the palette the same way. However, when I imported the object layout by replacing EHZ_1.BIN in the objects folder with the SonED's S2Obj.dat, (re-naming it too of course) it not only has my layout of objects, but also the original layout too. Can this be fixed?

Also my disassembly doesn't work with SonED 2 due to the lack of project files. Can I create project files so it works as it should?

Well, when I decided to split your rom with the Sonic 2 2007 Disassembly, it keeps the object layout and the palette it had, but it doesn't keep the level layout, and right now, are you splitting a clean Sonic 2 rom or your rom? Because that might be what's wrong.

Also, the disassembly comes with it's own project files located in the file "soned2proj.rar", which is located in your disassemblies root folder. So you don't need to make your own project files.

#24 User is offline Graxer 

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:30 AM

I split a clean rom, not mine. I take it that it was meant to be mine?

EDIT: Never mind. I fixed it. I had to copy the rings EHZ_1.BIN from a disassembly of my rom to the disassembly I am working on.
This post has been edited by Graxer: 09 June 2009 - 09:52 AM

#25 User is offline Mikel 

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:52 AM

• Jack-O is her name-o!
QUOTE (Graxer @ Jun 9 2009, 06:30 AM)

Well, your rom did have the filename of "S2.bin", and sorry for the inconvenience.

And as for the Object file, it probably is due to the way you saved it, so when you save the objects to the file in SonED1, you will end up with two files, "S2Obj.dat" for objects, and "S2Rng.dat" for rings.

What you may need to do is rename "S2Obj.dat" to "EHZ_1.bin" first, then place it in the objects folder that is inside the level folder, then after you did that, rename "S2Rng.dat" to "EHZ_1.bin", and place it in the rings folder that is inside the level folder.

If you did this way, tell me the results you get, so I can see what's wrong.

#26 User is offline Graxer 

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:18 AM

QUOTE (Mikel @ Jun 9 2009, 03:52 PM)
QUOTE (Graxer @ Jun 9 2009, 06:30 AM)

Well, your rom did have the filename of "S2.bin", and sorry for the inconvenience.

And as for the Object file, it probably is due to the way you saved it, so when you save the objects to the file in SonED1, you will end up with two files, "S2Obj.dat" for objects, and "S2Rng.dat" for rings.

What you may need to do is rename "S2Obj.dat" to "EHZ_1.bin" first, then place it in the objects folder that is inside the level folder, then after you did that, rename "S2Rng.dat" to "EHZ_1.bin", and place it in the rings folder that is inside the level folder.

If you did this way, tell me the results you get, so I can see what's wrong.

Don't worry about it. I actually managed to fix it (and updated my last post) just before you replied.

All it turned out to be was that the EHZ_1.BIN rings file hadn't been altered from its original state. (It still had the ring layout from the clean rom, but for some reason my layout also loaded when the rom was played. Presumably from the objects file.) I managed to fix it by disassembling my rom and copying the EHZ_1.BIN rings file from that.

#27 User is offline PencilTips 

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:47 AM

Hi, I'm new to hacking, and I need help.

First off, I tried reading the guide to help me get some editing programs like SonEd2 (Is that good to start with?).

And then, it starts talking about splitting files (Split disassembly hacking) , which I'm pretty confused about and it suggested using hivebrain's disassembly. Do I use quickman's hivebrain disassembly project files for SonED2? Also I'm looking for a Sonic 1 Rom, I found the site where all the roms are located, but there are multiple Roms of the first game. Which do I choose?

#28 User is offline kinzic 

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:54 AM

This is good stuff. I'm totally new to "hacking" sonic games, but I want to get more into it. As I get more free time, I'll dive into this stuff. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Pretty soon, I'll be an expert code reader.

#29 User is offline LightXIII 

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:32 PM

• SPARKING!!!
This guide is indeed great for us Newbies, but even thou I followed the instructions (I think) I ended up with a lot of files that I can't do anything with. I didn't download that program to extract that RAW file stuff. I don't trust that stuff all it does is give bad virus's. Now I just got a whole lot of nothing. (I gotta go through my computer and delete this junk now and I'm not sure what I'm deleting. Oh well another dream down the drain. *Crosses off creating Sonic hack from list of goals and dreams* Man this list gets longer and longer every minute, how sad.... *Frowns* Oh well such is life. Your guide was good, I'm just way to stupid to fix this stuff out. I lived and Learned. *Smiles*

#30 User is offline flamewing 

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:42 PM

• Emerald Hunter
  • Project:Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
  • Wiki edits:12
If your anti-virus is saying that it has a virus, ditch your anti-virus -- or hammer its developers until it stops giving false positives.

• 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users