Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Jam commentaries tell all~ - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 17 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Jam commentaries tell all~ tl;wr: Early GHZ proven, FBZ+ICZ, GCZ = MZ3. Craziness!

#16 User is offline Quexinos 

Posted 23 May 2008 - 03:17 AM

• Since 1997
  • Wiki edits:11
Okay I think I get it. These were theories before but we never had the 100% evidence and now we do. Got it... still, god when Tweaker IMed me, the way he was acting I thought we found a Sonic 1 beta =P

#17 User is offline Shade 

Posted 23 May 2008 - 03:30 AM

• Wiki edits:137
More food for thought:

<@JTE> Do you think Cyber City would only be accessable with all the emeralds? o.o Which is why it "only appears once"?
<Shade> nah
<Shade> it's probably the same deal as say, sky chase
<Shade> or wing fortress
<Shade> one zone
<Shade> etc
<Shade> the final stretch of epic one-zone sequences
<Shade> leading to death egg

Makes sense, what with MZ3 being Cyber/Genocide City and all, which would thusly be a single act, and presumably the act preceeding sky chase > Wing Fortress etc etc

#18 User is offline Quexinos 

Posted 23 May 2008 - 03:31 AM

• Since 1997
  • Wiki edits:11
Well one thing I'm glad about is this'll put an end to all those ridiculous Genocide City Zone theories about things blowing up, ghosts, people dying and Tails getting shot in the face and all that.

I wonder if anyone is going to put The Machine's graphics in Metropolis Zone act 3.
This post has been edited by Quexinos: 23 May 2008 - 03:34 AM

#19 User is offline Vaiz 

Posted 23 May 2008 - 04:10 AM

• these beats are too strict.
  • Project:Internet.
  • Wiki edits:92
Wow. I always had a theory thanks to similarities that Sonic CD more or less existed because of the shit cut from Sonic 2, but since stuff like that has always been disregarded as retardation, I dropped the idea when I was like 13 years old in favour of keeping my mouth shut. These are some pretty amazing revelations up in here.

#20 User is offline STHX 

Posted 23 May 2008 - 04:18 AM

• SEGAAAAAAAAA?!?
  • Project:Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
  • Wiki edits:31
When I played Sonic 2, I always felt something was not right. Apart from the incoplete feel he had (And now I know why), the thing that bugged me more was how some subsequent Zones were amazingly different (Take Sonic 1, even if the Zone order was changed during the making, Zones had still some sort of continuity). Sonic 2 it's the first game in the Sonic series that was rushed, and I'm so sad with the fact that, if completed, it may have truly been the greatest Sonic game, if not the greatest game of all time.

I'm happy to hear that, maybe, the old Sonic 2 concept was used for Sonic CD, because now I know why that game is special.

But nothing will change the truth; Sonic The Hedgehog 2 will allways be an incomplete game.
But today, we have the ability to RomHack, and I'm sure that one day someone will finally complete it, right how the game should truly have been.

#21 User is offline Vangar 

Posted 23 May 2008 - 04:55 AM

• Wiki edits:2
What the hell is going on here? We all had this information before... why is everyone so shocked to re-read this? I'm not going to bother searching topics but by all means go ahead and find that we already knew all of this. We already had strong indication that there were time zones and we already had a discussion about the Sonic Jam information, and led to the same conclusion. Did everyone get amnesia?

#22 User is offline Uberham 

Posted 23 May 2008 - 05:43 AM

• King Of Oblivion
Wildass fuckoff theory here, but there's no solid explanation of why Sonic & Tails even decide to get on the fucking plane in the first place, SO, with GCZ being one act, and you think "I know this from Sonic 1, one last level". Except, no, Robotnik does a runner (possible reason for metal sonic/Robotnik running animation) into his Wing Fortress and away.

THEN you get on the plane, Robotnik is chucking Badniks galore at you, so you slow down, finall, after an epic "sky chase" you get to wing fortress, only to have the fat fucker PULL THE SAME SHIT AGAIN.

Chase to death egg, possible short "no rings" zone, leading to the final boss be all know and love.

[/wildass theory]

#23 User is offline Nemesis 

Posted 23 May 2008 - 06:51 AM

• Wiki edits:6

View PostVangar, on May 23 2008, 07:55 PM, said:

What the hell is going on here? We all had this information before... why is everyone so shocked to re-read this? I'm not going to bother searching topics but by all means go ahead and find that we already knew all of this. We already had strong indication that there were time zones and we already had a discussion about the Sonic Jam information, and led to the same conclusion. Did everyone get amnesia?

Well I for one had never put all those peices together before. A lot of those points only gain credibility when you can link them to something else.

I found this interesting:
[00:46] <Tweaker> so I think it's pretty much needless to say that his words hold credibility over others re:HPZ for example
[00:46] <Tweaker> so HPZ was indeed where Super Sonic would get his powers
[00:47] <Tweaker> See
[00:47] <Shade> someone make a topic
[00:47] <Tweaker> THAT'S why HPZ was scrapped
[00:47] <Tweaker> It was too ambitious
[00:47] <Tweaker> and they didn't have enough time to do what they wanted
[00:47] <Tweaker> it all fits together

I don't know how many of you know, but do you realise that if you play S2 through to the end, then start a new game, you keep your emeralds? IE, if you've got all the emeralds on one playthrough, you can start a new game after the credits roll, and as soon as you grab 50 rings in your new game you're SuperSonic again. I always figured this was unintentional; just a memory address they forgot to clear when starting a new game. Maybe in reality it was intentional though, like an easter egg. If you couldn't turn into SuperSonic until after HPZ, which obviously has to be a fair way into the game, that would mean you couldn't play the first levels as SuperSonic. Unless of course, you knew about this easter egg. If you get all the emeralds and unlock SuperSonic, then finish the game and start a new one, you get to keep your emeralds and your "enable SuperSonic" flag, allowing you to play through those first levels as SuperSonic too. It's not nearly as significant when you can get SuperSonic in EHZ act 2, but if you couldn't normally get SuperSonic until the end of the game, it's a lot more interesting, and the kind of thing I could imagine being deliberately added.

#24 User is offline nineko 

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:17 AM

• I am the Holy Cat
  • Project:I... don't even know anymore :U
  • Wiki edits:5,251

View PostBadCopNoDonut, on May 23 2008, 10:12 AM, said:

along the same lines, could Hill Top Zone/Emerald Hill Zone be evidence of some sort of time travel?
My exact same thought. The only problem I see with that is that HTZ is located in mountain, and EHZ has an island in the background.

#25 User is offline Flygon 

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:41 AM

• Dem Melons
  • Project:SMS RPG script
  • Wiki edits:10

View Postnineko, on May 23 2008, 04:17 AM, said:

View PostBadCopNoDonut, on May 23 2008, 10:12 AM, said:

along the same lines, could Hill Top Zone/Emerald Hill Zone be evidence of some sort of time travel?
My exact same thought. The only problem I see with that is that HTZ is located in mountain, and EHZ has an island in the background.

that's a good observation there :P, the only argument I can come up for any sort of time travel stuff there is that earthquakes forced mountains up very rapidly.

#26 User is offline Adamis 

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:43 AM

• Gimme waffles!
  • Project:Lammy and "Fafnir"
  • Wiki edits:53
I've thought of something, but I may be wrong.
Some weeks ago, someone said the music of Hidden Palace sounds similar to the music of Sonic 1's Special Stages. Well, maybe it's not a coïncidence, both places are connected to the emeralds (the special stages let you get them; HPZ was supposed to grant you the Super Sonic form)...

#27 User is offline Flygon 

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:48 AM

• Dem Melons
  • Project:SMS RPG script
  • Wiki edits:10
I have to say that is a nice observation and it pretty much adds more proof to backing this up.

I just have one more question, what are the remaining mystery's of Sonic 2 because I think this event has pretty much cleared the remaining...

Edit: I need to learn to type.
This post has been edited by flygon: 23 May 2008 - 08:01 AM

#28 User is offline STHX 

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:55 AM

• SEGAAAAAAAAA?!?
  • Project:Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
  • Wiki edits:31

View Postflygon, on May 23 2008, 02:48 PM, said:

I just have one more question, what are the remaining mystery's of Sonic 2 because I think this event has pretty much clear the remaining...

Even if it is very likely true, there are still no proof that different timelines were supposed to be in the game.
However this definately cleared every doubt on the scrapped Zones.

#29 User is offline MathUser 

Posted 23 May 2008 - 09:00 AM

• 3rd top wiki contributor
  • Wiki edits:14,865
I don't know about this time travel malarkey. Hill top and emerald hill zone were in the game since the nick arcade beta. They look quite different and have a totally different layout from one another, not to mention the different backgrounds. I say this is proof Time travel was abandoned at least by the nick arcade prototype.

#30 User is offline Puto 

Posted 23 May 2008 - 09:38 AM

• Shin'ichi Kudō, detective.
  • Project:Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
  • Wiki edits:51

View PostTweaker, on May 23 2008, 08:27 AM, said:

Hidden Palace was a level which had a significant purpose in the storyline. Which ties into our next myth--

Myth: Hidden Palace was meant to be a normal level without any specific purpose.
Truth: Hidden Palace was the level in which Sonic was originally meant to gain his Super Sonic powers.

Yuji Naka himself stated in an interview that this was the purpose behind Hidden Palace Zone. The team had full intentions of including this level within the roster, and it was definitely scrapped for different reasons (and reluctantly, mind you) than the other zones. I mean, Hidden Palace had nothing to do with the time travel concept—why get rid of it? :)

That might explain why they only implemented the super sonic transformation routine at the very last minute...

• 17 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users