Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: SEGA Forever: Sonic The Hedgehog CD (iOS/Android) - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 6 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

SEGA Forever: Sonic The Hedgehog CD (iOS/Android) Sonic CD has joined the SEGA Forever brand

#31 User is offline biggestsonicfan 

Posted 08 February 2018 - 10:09 AM

• Model2wannaB
  • Project:Formerly Sonic the Fighters
Really sad to see SCD fall to Sega Forever. It was fine the way it was.

#32 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 08 February 2018 - 11:21 AM

• Wiki edits:18

View Postbiggestsonicfan, on 08 February 2018 - 10:09 AM, said:

Really sad to see SCD fall to Sega Forever. It was fine the way it was.
It was probably better...

Does this version start up with the alarming Sonic ring loss BRINGLINGLINGLINGLINGNN sound effect, then shows an animation and then plays the SEGA voice?
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 08 February 2018 - 11:23 AM

#33 User is offline .Luke 

Posted 08 February 2018 - 01:50 PM

View PostICEknight, on 08 February 2018 - 11:21 AM, said:

Does this version start up with the alarming Sonic ring loss BRINGLINGLINGLINGLINGNN sound effect, then shows an animation and then plays the SEGA voice?

It does, and I found its shrill ring sound more than a little annoying. The Sonic 1 and 2 remasters already had two splashscreens. (One of them is even skippable!) Three unskippable splashscreens on a mobile game makes me want to close it instead of play it. Nobody has time for that on the go! :argh:

And judging by reviews on Google Play, it doesn't seem like buying the game turns off the online check-in, so I'll be skipping this. This is so sad, I looked forward to Sonic CD coming back to Android for nearly 2 years, and this is it? I'm definitely keeping my APKs of the original Sonic 1 and 2 remasters, if their SEGA Forever counterparts are also this broken.

#34 User is offline Caniad Bach 

Posted 08 February 2018 - 05:10 PM

• is a peanut
Any phone game that needs a persistent online connection is functionally useless to me, since that's the only time I ever play them. Like if you can't play it on the Tube, or while you're sat in the doctors with no signal - what's the point?

#35 User is offline sonicblur 

Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:34 PM

• Wiki edits:6
Oh god, they ruined this. I bought the game when it first game out back in 2011, and now it has ads with no way to remove them. I had the same problem with the other Sega forever titles; they're activated and know that I bought them but still have ads.

Also, iPhone X has the exact problem that I warned about back in December:
http://forums.sonicr...ndpost&p=918877
It literally has that big white square on the title screen and they did nothing to try and fix the problems caused by the unlocked aspect ratio.

I guess they don't really care anymore. At least I still have the .ipa's for the older versions.

#36 User is offline Blue Blood 

Posted 09 February 2018 - 03:52 AM

Here's the game running on my iPhone X, iOS 11.2.5.

- Ads riddling the paid version of the game (this is intentional by SEGA, as they're only SEGA ads).
- Huge white box on the title screen.
- Intro movie relegated to a menu option and lazy iOS media player
- And, most obviously, the entire game is unplayable past the first checkpoint.

Whenever you progress past the first checkpoint in the very first level, the graphics become totally messed up and the game is unplayable. But hey, at least you can still check out those ads for Forces and Crazy Taxi! And the intro movie isn't just a menu option now - it's explicitly a media file on a bog standard iOS video player.

I'm sorry, but this is absolute rubbish. I paid good money to support the definitive version of CD years ago, and SEGA has actively gone out to make it worse. Ads for other SEGA were not part of the deal. This was anything but lazy when it first released, but it's incredibly obvious how little anyone other than the original developer (and the PR/social media guys) cares. There's absolutely no integrity from SEGA as a business or game developer. They treat their customers and fans horribly as a rule, and serve up whatever they can for minimal effort.
This post has been edited by Blue Blood: 09 February 2018 - 08:34 AM

#37 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 09 February 2018 - 09:54 AM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10
Wow that's disgusting. I'm glad the older version of CD still works on my android device so I don't have to upgrade to this option.

Like Sega you need to address this, your Sega Forever line has been a steaming pile of garbage so far and you're making good remakes of games worse. Want to add in ads for a free version? Fine, but the game should still run well and all of that should be gone once you pay, and you should not have to pay for a bug fixed version that's actually still broken. You also shouldn't have to be always online for a game that doesn't need it after you paid for it. Your anti-consumer policies and lack of trust for your customers is disgusting, with not only this, but the awful DRM for both Mania and Forces on the PC (less we forget that 2 week delay to implement that broken DRM in Mania) and that Super Sonic DLC that you wanted to charge $2 for but back pedaled at the last minute after fan outrage.

Seriously if Mania wasn't a thing I don't think many Sonic fans would be holding on at this point. Get your act together Sega. Aaron and the meme team can only do so much damage control.

#38 User is online LordOfSquad 

Posted 09 February 2018 - 10:43 AM

• Keep your eyes on the stars... You'll never be one!
  • Project:Tunes for Sonic Panic, among other things
  • Wiki edits:1
This thread did make me go back and see if my old install of 2011 CD is still working. Still does, thankfully.

It's pretty sad, Sonic CD used to be one of my most recommended mobile titles but I obviously can't suggest it to people in this state.

#39 User is offline makoeyes 

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:22 AM

I'm fucking dying. LMAO wow.

This is where we are, Sega? Seriously?

This is garbage. But seriously. Sega Forever mobile games have usually been crap, anyways. Isn't the best version of Sonic CD to play the one that was released for the PS3/360 that Christian Whitehead helped to create? A mobile version seems like superfluous cash grab.

#40 User is offline Blue Blood 

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:43 PM

View Postmakoeyes, on 09 February 2018 - 11:22 AM, said:

I'm fucking dying. LMAO wow.

This is where we are, Sega? Seriously?

This is garbage. But seriously. Sega Forever mobile games have usually been crap, anyways. Isn't the best version of Sonic CD to play the one that was released for the PS3/360 that Christian Whitehead helped to create? A mobile version seems like superfluous cash grab.

Taxman created the iPhone version to begin with, which was then ported to other platforms. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the mobile version before it was infected with the SEGA Forever branding. It was never superfluous or a cash-grab when it was a decent product. It's nice to have the games on mobile. I can't speak for other users, but on an iPhone X this game is totally duff.

#41 User is offline Sparks 

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:46 PM

• Project:Kyle and Lucy: Wonderworld
  • Wiki edits:21
Really glad that none of this kind of stuff is on the Steam version. Is there any way to access the older versions on mobile?

#42 User is offline makoeyes 

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:53 PM

Sorry, I'm just cynical towards most mobile games by their very nature. It sucks that an apparent good one got devolved into a crap product. Just seeing the video you made of how Sonic CD plays on an iphone X of all devices just. That's absurd. Complete and total garbage.

I just am happy I still have Sonic CD on my PS3, along with the Genesis Ultimate Collection. Relying on Sega Forever seems like nothing but heartache.

#43 User is offline Blue Blood 

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:58 PM

View Postmakoeyes, on 09 February 2018 - 12:53 PM, said:

Sorry, I'm just cynical towards most mobile games by their very nature. It sucks that an apparent good one got devolved into a crap product. Just seeing the video you made of how Sonic CD plays on an iphone X of all devices just. That's absurd. Complete and total garbage.

I just am happy I still have Sonic CD on my PS3, along with the Genesis Ultimate Collection. Relying on Sega Forever seems like nothing but heartache.

The graphics glitch is completely game-breaking, but as far as I can tell right now, it's exclusive to the iPhone X; it's not hitting Android devices and other iPhone models. With that in mind, it should be a relatively easy fix. It doesn't excuse the ad-focused setup of the game, the sound issues or the fact that the game went out with such a bug in the first place. EDIT: Also can't restore purchases in S1 without it timing out...
This post has been edited by Blue Blood: 09 February 2018 - 12:59 PM

#44 User is offline makoeyes 

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:06 PM

Essentially, Sega's forcing you to buy the game you paid for, twice. It's bizarre and insulting. Those other bugs are also just totally amateur. I have no clue why they'd handle a game release like this, other than they either don't give a crap, or they're woefully ill equipped to be programming mobile games in the first place.

The ad thing is just disgusting. You pay money and still get bombarded with ads... Like, that's just why I hate bothering with mobile/free-to-play games. I don't want to see ads. They're a bother. The fact some games don't even let you escape them even when you fork over cash is just ridiculous.

#45 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:12 PM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10
Like remember how cool it was when Sonic 1 and 2 were updated from the shitty emulated version to the taxman version, and that was for free? We need more of that and less of this.

• 6 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users