Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sega Saturn Battery Backup Question... - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

Sega Saturn Battery Backup Question... I know it's a watch battery, but...

#1 User is offline Mendinso 

Posted 15 July 2016 - 02:39 PM

• I'm Who I Am.
  • Wiki edits:22
I recently ordered a Saturn from Ebay. Knowing my luck, there's probably a chance the battery in the internal memory is probably dead, so I was wondering what exact battery would be recommended for me to get? As stated in the description, I am aware it's a watch battery, but beyond that, not sure if there's a specific one I should be looking for. Not sure if it'd make much of a difference, but I have a NTSC-J model Saturn.

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 User is offline Mecha Sally 

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:45 PM

The exact battery type is CR2032. I'm assuming it's the same regardless of the console's region.

However, I do suggest investing in a memory cart of some kind so you have a more permanent storage option. Those internal batteries don't last very long, and it sucks to lose save data.

#3 User is offline Mendinso 

Posted 15 July 2016 - 08:37 PM

• I'm Who I Am.
  • Wiki edits:22

View PostMecha Sally, on 15 July 2016 - 06:45 PM, said:

The exact battery type is CR2032. I'm assuming it's the same regardless of the console's region.

However, I do suggest investing in a memory cart of some kind so you have a more permanent storage option. Those internal batteries don't last very long, and it sucks to lose save data.

Alright, thanks. That's everything I was seeing saying, but I wasn't sure about that. So thanks for the response. (Also, is there any special way I have to take out and replace the battery? Was kinda worried about that)

As for the memory cart, those wouldn't have any region limitations for them at all, would they? Kinda couldn't find anything on that online when I did some searching, but I would assume no.

#4 User is offline Mecha Sally 

Posted 15 July 2016 - 10:31 PM

View PostMendinso, on 15 July 2016 - 08:37 PM, said:

Alright, thanks. That's everything I was seeing saying, but I wasn't sure about that. So thanks for the response. (Also, is there any special way I have to take out and replace the battery? Was kinda worried about that)

As for the memory cart, those wouldn't have any region limitations for them at all, would they? Kinda couldn't find anything on that online when I did some searching, but I would assume no.

No problem! Changing the battery isn't too daunting; there's a small removable door on the back left side of the console. Pop that off, and you'll see the battery on the bottom. Gently pry it off and pop the new one in.

From what I'm seeing memory carts are region free. There's different kinds to choose from, but I definitely recommend an Action Replay 4-in-1 since it lets you play imports. I would recommend an official Sega cart for the sake of having an official first-party memory cart, but they're ridiculously expensive now. X_X

#5 User is offline Flygon 

Posted 15 July 2016 - 10:54 PM

• Dem Melons
  • Project:SMS RPG script
  • Wiki edits:10

Those internal batteries don't last very long, and it sucks to lose save data.

To be even more precise, I had a brand new CR2032 die after just a month of the Saturn being unplugged. Apparently it keeps the RTC up. :psyduck:

#6 User is offline GerbilSoft 

Posted 15 July 2016 - 11:12 PM

• RickRotate'd.
  • Project:Gens/GS
  • Wiki edits:5,000 + one spin
I have a 4-in-1 cart, but it doesn't seem to show up in the Saturn's main menu for copying save files. I have to use the cart's built-in menu. Not sure if I'm not doing something right or what.

Sidenote: While Saturn uses CR2032, both Mega CD and Dreamcast (and also GameCube) use a rechargeable battery. On those systems, do NOT replace it with a CR2032, because the circuitry attempts to recharge the battery when the system is plugged in. (Wii and Wii U use CR2032, same as Saturn.)

#7 User is offline Shadow Hog 

Posted 16 July 2016 - 12:49 PM

• "I'm a superdog!"
  • Wiki edits:10

View PostGerbilSoft, on 15 July 2016 - 11:12 PM, said:

I have a 4-in-1 cart, but it doesn't seem to show up in the Saturn's main menu for copying save files. I have to use the cart's built-in menu. Not sure if I'm not doing something right or what.
You're doing everything exactly right; the AR4-in-1 does not support direct-to-cart saving. Nothing but the official carts do, frustratingly.

Fortunately, I have an official cart, but like hell I'm swapping back and forth between them for imports.

#8 User is offline GeneHF 

Posted 17 July 2016 - 05:04 PM

• SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be.
  • Project:Complete Global Conquest
  • Wiki edits:381
I use this:

http://www.play-asia...o-plus/13/701b2

Hasn't lead me astray yet, and a decent price (though you can likely find it cheaper elsewhere)

#9 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 18 July 2016 - 02:21 PM

• Wiki edits:18

View PostGeneHF, on 17 July 2016 - 05:04 PM, said:

I use this:

http://www.play-asia...o-plus/13/701b2

Hasn't lead me astray yet, and a decent price (though you can likely find it cheaper elsewhere)
Out of curiosity, what's the missing function in that 3-in-1?

Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users