Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic the Comic Fanmade Graphic Novel - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Sonic the Comic Fanmade Graphic Novel I finally got around to it!

#31 User is offline Ravenfreak 

Posted 25 July 2016 - 12:58 PM

• Project:Hacking some 8-bit Sonic game
  • Wiki edits:112
That's a shame. :( Even though I live in the US, I really dig Sonic the Comic and I would love to buy a graphic novel someday in the future. Hopefully they will get around to contacting you. :\

#32 User is offline Jen 

Posted 26 July 2016 - 03:27 PM

• Lapidot Queen
  • Project:Various drawings
  • Wiki edits:2
This is a really awesome idea! I'd totally buy something like this :) Sonic the Comic was my childhood, but sadly I barely have any of my old comics anymore - they got thrown out by mistake when I was still living with my parents.

Don't be disheartened by the fact that you've not heard back from SEGA yet. As others have said, these things take time. I mean, it's only been a couple of weeks - if you think about how much post and how many emails such a big company has to go through every single day, three weeks is not really an awful lot of time. I mean, your letter might only just be reaching the correct department now; and even then, there are a lot of legal/copyright implications with something like this. I should think it's going to take them quite a long time to do some research and/or dig through old paperwork before they can even think about saying yes or no to this.

I don't mean to sound patronising or anything, but I would maybe reconsider sending them anymore follow-up correspondence for a while. Give them adequate time to do what they need to do and then get back to you when they can - the last thing you want to do is come across as pushy. If I were you, I'd wait at least a month before you send them any more follow-up emails.

#33 User is offline Twimfy 

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:04 AM

• Project:Sonic the Comic stuff

View PostJen, on 26 July 2016 - 03:27 PM, said:

This is a really awesome idea! I'd totally buy something like this //forums.sonicretro.org/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png Sonic the Comic was my childhood, but sadly I barely have any of my old comics anymore - they got thrown out by mistake when I was still living with my parents.

Don't be disheartened by the fact that you've not heard back from SEGA yet. As others have said, these things take time. I mean, it's only been a couple of weeks - if you think about how much post and how many emails such a big company has to go through every single day, three weeks is not really an awful lot of time. I mean, your letter might only just be reaching the correct department now; and even then, there are a lot of legal/copyright implications with something like this. I should think it's going to take them quite a long time to do some research and/or dig through old paperwork before they can even think about saying yes or no to this.

I don't mean to sound patronising or anything, but I would maybe reconsider sending them anymore follow-up correspondence for a while. Give them adequate time to do what they need to do and then get back to you when they can - the last thing you want to do is come across as pushy. If I were you, I'd wait at least a month before you send them any more follow-up emails.

You're absolutely right. I'm just going to sit on it and wait for now. Besides I have a lot of other stuff to be getting on with at the moment so this can take a back seat for the time being. Whatever will be will be.

#34 User is offline Jayextee 

Posted 25 August 2016 - 06:46 AM

• Comic Mischief
  • Project:I DONE MAKED GAMES.
  • Wiki edits:27
I don't know how relevant this is, but Rebellion acquired Egmont/Fleetway just in case you need to clear anything on that end.

#35 User is offline Twimfy 

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:48 PM

• Project:Sonic the Comic stuff
Well it's been a year and a half and I got absolutely nowhere with this, no answers or responses from anyone I contacted which is incredibly sad. Even a 'not interested' would have been better than total silence. Takes nothing to reply to an email.

Perhaps worst of all Sega still have my A4 copy. It may not be legit but the physical book is my property and it was damn expensive.

At this point I'm almost prepared to Kickstart it, see what happens, I can get it printed way less overseas and make it cheap enough for most people to buy.

Even if it gets struck down at least it'll be in the eyes of those who need to see it and really make it happen.

Thoughts?
This post has been edited by Twimfy: 12 February 2018 - 06:55 PM

#36 User is offline Roller 

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:16 AM

...you expected them to return the book? I know a little bit about pitching, and that's definitely not something any company generally expects. It's treated as a gift at best or a temporary, disposable medium at worst.

The company that would've been considering this is Archie, and they spent 2017 flailing and losing the license. IDW are just about to start; in the best case scenario they'll find it in a drawer and think about it for a bit.

Sorry. It looks beautiful, either way.
This post has been edited by Roller: 13 February 2018 - 05:22 AM

#37 User is offline Sir_mihael 

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:24 PM

• DON'T TRUST THIS MAN
Hmm. Any thoughts on maybe just doing it privately for Fleetway fans? Do a few batches, charge a bit more than you would normally but if the quality's good you'll definitely make the sales. Heck, I'd be more than happy to throw money at you for that kind of printing/binding.

#38 User is offline 360 

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:33 PM

• Light Vision Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon
Hmm. That's disappointing dude. I remember posting with enthusiasm when you first announced this, as a massive fan of Fleetway Sonic back in the day as a child - so it's disheartening to hear you're not making progress through official channels. That said I've seen Sega hand out official licences for the simplest of things with various Sega-related projects on Kickstarter for example that had official licences - so it is possible. Are you contacting the right people? Perhaps you could reach out to an ex-Fleetway editor or something if Sega themselves are frustratingly silent?

Either way I'm still very interested in this and would back/purchase it if it were to hit Kickstarter or you made it available somehow. Best of luck.

#39 User is online Adamis 

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:43 PM

• Gimme waffles!
  • Project:Lammy and "Fafnir"
  • Wiki edits:53
I know Mike (current editor of STCO) got in touch with Sega over the last two years and they were at least interested, but they recently turned the idea down to their new contract with IDW.

• 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users