Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Recommend me some headphones - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Recommend me some headphones

#16 User is offline GeneHF 

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:21 PM

• SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be.
  • Project:Complete Global Conquest
  • Wiki edits:381
I'll just throw the pair I use in here. They're some cheap basic Sony street style around the neck headphones. They're comfy, have good sound quality... they're my workhorse for music editing as well (pause for slight gasps), though they're not very good at blocking loud external sounds, which makes them not very good for train rides when the cars go fast or the plane without making the music louder.

#17 User is offline Oerg866 

Posted 08 October 2014 - 11:37 AM

• Wiki edits:3
For 20 quid you're going to end up with crap either way. In that price range I've had Philips SHP-1600 all my life, and they're great value. If you're looking for something that can actually accurately reproduce sound, you need to up that budget, yo :P

#18 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:15 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
Frankly I'd be happy enough with something that sounds like a pair of earbuds that isn't going to kill itself and cost more than 3p to make. =P I'm thinking a £30 or so set would do it.

#19 User is offline Falk 

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:18 PM

Dunno how useful this is to you but I've used AKG K702s for a decade now. Because I grew up in an environment where the only time I could tinker with audio stuff free of noise was in the dead of the night and the fact that I'm 30% deaf in my right ear (flipping phones is easy) I typically do all my work with headphones and eventually stuck with these. I always have a spare pair in case one breaks, at which point I get another spare pair immediately.

Crisp, transparent, has just the right amount of isolation for my day-to-day use. While for a pure musical listening experience I might have preferred something more isolated, it's something I can live with.

#20 User is offline Scarred Sun 

Posted 09 October 2014 - 09:51 AM

• In Defense of Lost Causes
  • Project:Staying woke
  • Wiki edits:36,091
I actually use the Sony street style headphones for listening to music when I ride my motorbike, 'cause I'm a rebel and you can't see them under a helmet. :v:

So, a few recommendations here:

- If you're looking to stay with earbud style, I'd recommend the Sennheiser MX 365 (or their newer version, the MX 375): they avoid the nubs you complain about and for a tenner you can't go wrong.
- For over-the-ear style headphones, one of the best sub-$100 picks is also one of the cheapest: the Sennheiser HD 201. Personally I've only ever had the HD 202/203, but I've read great reviews from people who give a shit about headphones like The Wirecutter, Head-Fi and HeadRoom.
- The Sony MDR lines that people keep recommending here are showing up for a reason: they're a pretty good bang for your buck. I have a pair of MDRXB400s that I got on the cheap because they're a ridiculous colorway and they're super-comfortable if you're the type of person who finds over-the-ear phones hard to wear for more than an hour or two.
- Holy shit avoid Beats like the plague. Someone gave me a free Solo HD pair (free!) and I still prefer every other pair of headphones I've ever had.

#21 User is offline Falk 

Posted 09 October 2014 - 10:00 AM

Telling someone to avoid beats is like telling someone to avoid kissing an ebola patient. I know you mean well but it's kinda 'duuuuuh'.

#22 User is offline Scarred Sun 

Posted 09 October 2014 - 11:33 AM

• In Defense of Lost Causes
  • Project:Staying woke
  • Wiki edits:36,091

View PostFalk, on 09 October 2014 - 10:00 AM, said:

Telling someone to avoid beats is like telling someone to avoid kissing an ebola patient. I know you mean well but it's kinda 'duuuuuh'.

Well yes, but I was expecting them to be, I don't know, at least on par with $50 headphones and they're not even that. :/

#23 User is offline Covarr 

Posted 09 October 2014 - 12:03 PM

• Sentient Cash Register
  • Wiki edits:1
No joke, even the most expensive beats are actively worse than cheap $15 bargain shit.

I don't know the Sennheiser HD201, but I can totally vouch for HD202. If the HD201s are even half as good, then you're getting a damn good product for the money. The cabling on Sennheiser's cheaper products isn't the most reliable, though, so make sure to be careful with 'em, but other than that they're definitely more than satisfactory at that price range.

Personally I use Audio-Technica's ATH-M50 headphones. I know it's more expensive than you're looking for right now, but if you ever find yourself looking to upgrade even further, they're frequently agreed to be the best under $200.

#24 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 09 October 2014 - 12:53 PM

Yeah, I'm aware that Beats are just overpriced tat that sell purely on a brand name. Just what you'd expect Apple to pay $3 billion for. =P

Sennheiser has come up a few times in the thread, so I've just thrown an order into Amazon for the earbuds and the headset SS linked - both in the sort of price range I was looking at and both having solid reviews. Thanks for the assistance, guys!

#25 User is offline Infiniti 

Posted 10 October 2014 - 05:35 AM

• ↑ & ↓ & ↻
Got 93 quid to spare?

#26 User is offline TmEE 

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:11 AM

• Master of OPL3-SA2/3
  • Project:T-04YBSC-A !
  • Wiki edits:11
Been using pair of Philips HP250 for about a decade now. Excellent freq range, actually can play higher end, longass cable so I can freely move around.
Long phased out stuff though...
I am now considering replacing them, but I won't buy anything without hearing them first.

I'm in same boat with those earbuds, they don't stay in and they are also incredibly uncomfortable... plus they get so dirty from the ear gunk.....

#27 User is offline Nova 

Posted 11 October 2014 - 05:57 AM

• オ カ エ リ ナ サ λ
  • Wiki edits:17
Rather than specific models, you'll be on your way to happy listening with any of the following brands 90% of the time:

• Sennheiser
  • Bose
  • Sony
  • Philips
  • Shure

And if you want to avoid shitty, overpriced 'form over function' crap, ignore the following brands:

• Skullcandy
  • Beats
  • Apple
  • JVC (Some are good, some are awful - too hit and miss by far)

#28 User is offline Covarr 

Posted 11 October 2014 - 01:44 PM

• Sentient Cash Register

View PostNova, on 11 October 2014 - 05:57 AM, said:

• Bose

While Bose isn't a bad brand by any means, they're not really a good value. If you need noise cancellation, Bose is best-in-class, but if you don't, pretty much any other brand in this list will give better bang for your buck.

#29 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 11 October 2014 - 03:31 PM

They've arrived. The earbuds are great - a little more bass-y than I'm used to, but they're fine. As for the headphones, I like the ear-seal thing but they're noticibly more bass-y than the buds - I'm sure I'll adjust to it, just something of a shock.

#30 User is offline Miles Prower 

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:23 PM

• Renard
I'm getting some Senal SMH-1000 soon, might take a few weeks to arrive. Basically a clone of Sony's MDR6, but with a removable jack. I don't have much experience with "studio" grade headphones, wonder how it'll go!

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users