don't click here

Music

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Canned Karma, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dummeh

dummeh

Thanks, glad you liked it.

The boss theme was annoying me so I've put up a new version some levels tweaked - Sonic 2 - Robotnik Theme.mp3. Hopefully that sounds a little better.

2. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Ah, yes, you take criticism well. The drums are certainly toned down. Something about the track still doesn't feel quite right though, but the bad part is, I can't place a finger on what.

3. Andeed

Andeed

Holy pug in a pizza box... Member
    Wales, UK
    Sonic 1 AS3 Engine
    That sounds much better!
    I'm not sure why but the horns still seem a little out of tune at times - probably to do with the amount off attack on the notes, although the level changes do seem to make a difference.
    Nicely done.

4. sbeast64

sbeast64

Sbeast Member
    UK
    Hello people. I am a newcomer to the Sonic 2 HD project and would love to contribute towards some of the music. I'm really impressed with some of the songs you've come up with so far, so I thought I would give it a shot. I'll let you know when I have a finished track.

5. sbeast64

sbeast64

Sbeast Member
    UK
  6. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    Fort Worth, Texas, USA
    Making a Full-Sized Egg Carrier in Minecraft.
    Sounds very not bad!

Initial criticism is that the "organish" stabs near the end of the track loop sound like they're not the correct notes.

7. That's sounding pretty good so far. What stands out the most to me is, and forgive me if I lack the terminology, the percussion sounds really, echoey and splashy. I would tone that down. Also, when I hear it I wish it had some "claps", but that's just me. Good work so far!

8. The overall vibe is nice, but a few points-
    -The organ parts aren't prominent enough. I can barely hear them and they're not playing the full chords in the first section, and playing straight chords in the B section instead of the melodic chord line.
    -I've never been a fan of brass in these fan remixes, but most importantly the brass backup parts are missing the harmonies. In the first section, there's an octave doubling it that you're missing. In the B section, it's supposed to be playing the major third harmony, not doubling the bass.
    -A few incorrect notes here and there. In think your first bend is wrong. It's supposed to be a bend from the D to the Eb, but it sounds like Eb to E in yours.

Aside from that, I think the overall vibe is great. The bass and drums fit together very nicely, and the main melody instrumentation sounds right, so you've captured the character of the original. There's a lot of potential for this to be one of the better Sonic remixes I've heard once it's been fixed up a bit.

9. ancara

ancara

10. sbeast64

sbeast64

Sbeast Member
    UK
    Revision 2 http://soundcloud.com/sbeast64/hilltop-zone-rev2

@Mcguirk I changed some of the organ notes, I think they are right now.
    @subsubstantive I think your referring to the reverb, in which case I toned it down on some of the percussion. Hopefully its enough.
    @BlobVanDam You have a very good ear. I took the bend down a semi-tone, the organ is more prominent now and the brass harmonies should now be right.

Thanks for the comments people, it helped.

11. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    That's pretty good what you have done there. The horns are really the only thing that kinda ruins the mood for me personally. I think it's the overall sound of them. You may need to use a different sample set. The other thing is did you put compression on the percussion? If you have it's sounds as if you've side chained it. If you need a hand to get the whole track sounding like it's glued together and as loud as possible without clipping. Ask ScubaSteve for a hand as he's a music expert and I'm sure he will be glad to help.

12. RadicalGarbage

RadicalGarbage

13. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    ancara, you really need to kill off the tremolo on the flute for your latest ARZ submission. It just does not work. The trumpet in the CPZ 2P suffers from the same thing early on. Something about that horn in particular just doesn't mesh with the rest of the piece, but I'm not certain how to describe it. The single player CPZ... I can't say I'm a fan of anything in it. Whatever plugin or add-on you went with to give your samples tremolo needs to be killed off, because it's ruining things left and right. Your last couple takes on ARZ have been really good, but this last batch isn't your greatest.

sbeast64, I'll echo what steveswede said about the horns. Your reverb is awful on it. I'd PM scuba, or even Tweaker for in-depth advice on making the necessary changes. They both have a very solid musical background.

RadicalGarbage, that's a very... unique take on ARZ compared to anything I've heard. That said, it sounds very disorganized at the moment. Quite a few of the little additions you've made, like the periodic rattle, are completely out of place. Your melody goes in and out of sync with the harmony by half a beat at some points for no apparent reason, only to lock back to where it should be after a few seconds. This is much more remix than remaster in its current incarnation, and it's not what we're looking for in a piece that will be used for gameplay.

14. RadicalGarbage

RadicalGarbage

Gah it's late again tonight. I removed all that extra embellishment and stuck to trying to make it more like the original this time.

Actually, I started from scratch but used a few of the same base instruments anyway. The mixing is less "disorganized" and sounds much more uniform. I also fixed the issue with the melody falling out of sync by using another instrument that wasn't as slow on the attack (went from a woodwind lead to a flugelhorn-that-doesn't-sound-anything-like-one-but-is-still-pleasant kind of lead).

Can be heard here

15. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I'm a big fan of your latest ARZ ancara, but I agree with the tremelo being unnecessary. Kill that and let us hear it.

16. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

RadicalGarbage, that take was much better synced. But that was about the only real improvement. All the samples you've used with the possible exception of the flute sound incredibly bland. It's getting supremely difficult to post up suggestions on pieces because we already have at least two very good submissions for everything but the staff credits now. I don't want to sound like a jerk, but people contributing music now have to submit truly fantastic pieces to be considered for inclusion in the final release. This means the piece has to have character, be fitting for gameplay music, and be well mixed and mastered. It's a tall bill, but we've seen a lot of really half-assed submissions in this thread over the past few months. If you're not confident about your submission, I guarantee you are wasting your time by putting it up here.

17. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Canned Karma

Mastering should be left with the likes of Scuba. I Agree with all other points but that one. Mastering is an art form and even well known music artists leave that job to people with expertise in that field. In fact I'm surprised Scuba hasn't asked for bounced down multi-track project files. If my accepted submission is still being put into S2HD. Let me know and I'll bounce it down and upload it so Scuba can master it.

18. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

Please upload the latest version you've done on HTZ steveswede. We'll see if there's any extra polish that can be applied before scuba looks at it.

19. RadicalGarbage

RadicalGarbage

You're not being a jerk at all. I completely understand and this certainly isn't an attempt to half-ass anything. I honestly do these for fun and do take these seriously. I've probably done at least a few takes or attempts on almost every sonic 2 and 3 song. If you say that it sounds bland, it's really just an honest critique and a much appreciated one too. It's all for the sake of a game that I'm sure we'd all love to see get done to perfection.

But, in all honesty, I seriously doubt anyone feels that any of the art or music has come close enough to what we all envisioned when we first thought of "Sonic 2 in HD". There's still a long road ahead... at least unless you guys decide to just say F*** it and go with what has been done. If that's what's going to happen, you might as well just close the thread. I'm not bitter and I'm not trying to stir anything up with the powers that be. Of course, you are free to do what you wish. I'm just being objective here. Expect to see many more attempts from a lot of different people as long as this thread stays open.

That said, I will take your critique and try to make it sound "less bland".

20. ancara

ancara

Well guys, I went and did two versions without the Tremolo, trying to see if I can get the Pan Flute to sound just right. They may sound a bit similar, but each one's Pan Flute is different....somewhat.

Should I go with this one: http://www.sendspace.com/file/0b0ies

Or this one: http://www.sendspace.com/file/u8czed

Tell me which one you guys think I should use, so I can finally get it all nice and finish up, ok? :3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.