I can cite several reasons why I personally love 2 more...
- Sonic 2's music completely and utterly rapes 3s. Sonic 2 music makes me smile like a fucking bulldog! 3s is simply nowhere as memorable, and it has a feeling of sounding more like Michael Jackson music (duh!) and James Bond music rather than say... fucking Sonic music. Mega props for the act 2 boss music, Lava Reef 1 and Sky Sanctuary though, and the competition mode music which to me sounds so much better than any zone music from the main game.
- Sonic 2 leaves me wanting more. Sonic 3 and Knuckles leaves me wanting considerably less. Which leads me onto my next point...
- Sonic 3 alone was a fantastic game in its own right, the Sonic and Knuckles half though was very dreary, drab, claustrophobic and in many places too fucking long and for me the worst of the 4 stand-alone games - which is why playing the whole Sonic 3 experience is quite jarring. I love the first half, but get rather bored in the Sonic and Knuckles half.
- Sonic 3s sprite rubs me the wrong way. With the clown feet and big foam fists, he looks too fucking silly.
- The whole going into space thing again which from then became a tired tradition. A little sick of it as a child, VERY sick of it now. I always thought as a child that Death Egg should have looked like a more detailed version of Sonic 2s - to satisfy the curiosity of fans wondering what a full DEZ would've looked like. From a story standpoint, I found it would've been better too "remember this place folks? you're back again, now it's time to destroy it for good!". Because they opted for a different Death Egg, it made the whole arc seem rather pointless.
- Bonus stages, when 20 something rings can potentially yield you multiple lives, when it's harder to lose lives than it is to gain them. Then we have a big fucking problem!
- A huge, epic adventure 3k may be... but it's just too fucking easy! I can't put my finger on why exactly, but I will say this. I got Sonic 1 and 2 for Christmas of 93, by May of 94 (when I got Sonic 3) I had yet to complete the first 2, despite playing them non stop since Christmas. With Sonic 3, I completed it one day after I got it for my birthday, and Sonic and Knuckles was completed when I got it on Christmas Day 94... before my parents had even got up!!! If a kid who sucked at Sonic 1 and 2 can nail it's sequel in a matter of days... imagine how boring it must be for him when he grows up to be a seasoned pro.
- Takashi Iizuka. Hate on Sonic 4 all you want - god knows I certainly do! - but the fucking malignant dick cancer of his influence that infected 2d Sonic started here. The slides and twisting waterways of hydrocity, the candy spirals and wind tunnels of carnival night and the snowboarding sequence of icecap. There's too many times in this game where you can sit back and watch things happen, luckily Iizuka wasn't in sole control of the game or it would have probably all been like this. In Sonic 1 and 2 you're in control of almost 100% of what happens on screen, which is how it fucking should be.
After reading all this, you could be forgiven for thinking that I hate Sonic 3 and Knuckles. I really don't, I love it to bits! It brought so much awesomeness to the table with Knuckles, the elemental shields, act 1 bosses and transitions and epic story scope, you can't fuck with that! It's just that there was just too many elements that worked better in the previous titles for me to consider 3k better.
This post has been edited by jasonchrist: 16 February 2013 - 07:01 PM