Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Maker - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 22 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Maker

#31 User is offline Solaris Paradox 

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:44 AM

• Project:I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
  • Wiki edits:2
Oh, I see.

Again, pardon my ignorance. I'm really new to design terminology and I still think of things more in terms of "pieces" and "things" than blocks, tiles, and all that.

#32 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 24 April 2010 - 05:41 PM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
I might as well say it here too...
I may be able at some point to modify the engine that I'm using for WindowsZone to be able to play levels made by this program, instead of using open windows.

Maybe.

#33 User is offline Solaris Paradox 

Posted 24 April 2010 - 05:45 PM

• Project:I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
I haven't had a chance to try WindowsZone, as it won't run on my computer. What's the engine like?

#34 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 24 April 2010 - 05:52 PM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
The engine is based on the information in the Sonic Physics Guide and is pretty much the same as the original games.

And I don't quite believe that it simply "won't run on my computer". You probably just need the DirectX stuff.

#35 User is offline Solaris Paradox 

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE (MainMemory @ Apr 24 2010, 06:52 PM)
The engine is based on the information in the Sonic Physics Guide and is pretty much the same as the original games.

And I don't quite believe that it simply "won't run on my computer". You probably just need the DirectX stuff.

That's exactly it, and unfortunately I don't speak Error Message Gibberish, and can't be arsed to learn for what is essentially a novelty. So it won't run on my computer.
This post has been edited by Solaris Paradox: 24 April 2010 - 06:14 PM

#36 User is offline Lapper 

Posted 25 April 2010 - 02:19 AM

• Project:Sonic 2 HD, Sonic Maker
  • Wiki edits:111
QUOTE (MainMemory @ Apr 24 2010, 05:41 PM)
I might as well say it here too...
I may be able at some point to modify the engine that I'm using for WindowsZone to be able to play levels made by this program, instead of using open windows.

Maybe.

WindowsZone runs fine on my computer (well, laptop), and that sounds great. In fact, you could write the loading system (well, I wouldnt be able to in your engine). (don't worry, sonic maker just saves text files like this:
Bridge1Make
Tile9Make
Tile8Make
Tile6Make
Tile5Make
Tile3Make
Tile2Make
Tile1Make
And that is just the x&y of Sonic's feet, then all the code name, x and y of all tiles and gimmicks. smile.png )

But thats only if you do it though...
This post has been edited by Sonica: 25 April 2010 - 02:21 AM

#37 User is offline Lapper 

Posted 08 May 2010 - 06:47 AM

I don't know the double posting rules, because the guidelines say nothing about it, and no one has posted on this topic for a long time
Soo...

I am developing SonicMaker's saving and loading capabilities.
I am using the GM engine at the moment, but in case any other choices come up, I've made the perfect soloution!

Multi-engine saving!

I am just getting the GM engine to construct the levels, then I shall upload a new demo.
This post has been edited by Sonica: 08 May 2010 - 06:49 AM

#38 User is offline Solaris Paradox 

Posted 08 May 2010 - 12:47 PM

QUOTE (Sonica @ May 8 2010, 07:47 AM)
I am developing SonicMaker's saving and loading capabilities.
I am using the GM engine at the moment, but in case any other choices come up, I've made the perfect soloution!

Multi-engine saving!

I am just getting the GM engine to construct the levels, then I shall upload a new demo.

Will this also solve the problem of levels made with older versions potentially being incompatible with newer versions?

#39 User is offline Lapper 

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:21 AM

Could do. Also if newer versions are not compatible with the saved levels, I could release a converter, or have it built in. It can be that hard, the saved files are simple as they are.

Funnily the hardest save/load system to do in Sonic maker is opening saved files, actually in the program... But loading in GM is fine (exept a bug where odd tiles appear).

#40 User is offline Lapper 

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:09 AM

The I've Already Done That list
-I have already (nearly) finished the GM engine to run the data files produced by Sonic Maker.
-I have already fixed the 'it wont appear at the top of the view, it appears at the top of the map instead' bug.
-I have nearly got all the gimmicks and objects done.
-I have already made enemies in the GM engne, so you can now put enemies on your levels
-I have already added a 'decoration' tab at the bottom, for waterfalls and whatnot.

The I Can't Right Now list
-I can't make an undo/redo system, but there isnt much need to right now.
-I can't make other tilesets, or other gimmicks for other levels.
This post has been edited by Sonica: 21 November 2010 - 08:48 AM

#41 User is offline Solaris Paradox 

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:28 PM

Sounds good. I'm wondering if at some point you can add some kind of functionality whereby other people can make their own custom tilesets and use them in Sonic Maker, by the way, so that it takes some of the slack off you personally to provide a vast array of level components. Of course, that's something to worry about after you get the basic design program working...

I'm wondering, though—hypothetically, suppose someone constructed a better engine that could read text files for design and it were made to be compatible with Sonic Maker, would it be especially easy or especially hard for you to provide support for that engine?

#42 User is offline RGamer2009 

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:58 PM

• True Blue
  • Wiki edits:3,086
If I post, will there be a new download?!

Wait...

Anyway, We cant help you test stuff or give improvements without being able to mess with it ourselves!

I would love a built-in text editor for title cards!

#43 User is offline Solaris Paradox 

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE (RGamer2009 @ May 17 2010, 04:58 PM)

A choice between title card styles (Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3... possibly Sonic 4 and Sonic Adventure 2...) would be an awesome feature, as well.
This post has been edited by Solaris Paradox: 17 May 2010 - 04:56 PM

#44 User is offline Ell678 

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:14 PM

• Am I Annoying You?
  • Project:Sonic Incursion
  • Wiki edits:6
QUOTE (Sonica @ May 16 2010, 01:09 PM)
-Boss maker - thats all I'm giving you!

This sounds very interesting. I look forward to hearing more about it.

#45 User is offline Lapper 

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:58 AM

Right then:
I'm wondering, though—hypothetically, suppose someone constructed a better engine that could read text files for design and it were made to be compatible with Sonic Maker, would it be especially easy or especially hard for you to provide support for that engine?
They would have to make the support, the support is in the engine, it needs to read the files and maker the level accordingly.

There is, On the level tab at the side, it says title, the title card will be set to that. :D

A choice between title card styles (Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3... possibly Sonic 4 and Sonic Adventure 2...) would be an awesome feature, as well.

Well, Sonic Maker is Sonic 1 style at the moment, but with gameplay elements of others (Tails and Knuckles).

This sounds very interesting. I look forward to hearing more about it.

=D

Nice suggestions, see, thats the way to do it! More are gladly accepted.

• 22 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users