Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Basic Questions & Answers thread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 379 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Basic Questions & Answers thread NEWBIES: Start here!

#5596 User is offline celebi23 

Posted 23 July 2016 - 06:36 PM

• Project:Researching some Dinosaur Planet stuff
So, I was wondering if it were possible to extract the textures/sprites from Sonic Dash? I tried the java app disunity but, only the 0.4 release kinda worked and it only extracted some of the audio files. I'm mainly trying to extract the various genesis cart textures used for the Classic Sonic promotion going on. They've got a great version of the lock-on Sonic 3 & Knuckles and I really would love to look at that texture closer if possible.

Posted Image

edit: crap. Sorry. I hit submit by accident. Was just going to post this question in the Basic Questions & Answers thread instead.
This post has been edited by celebi23: 23 July 2016 - 06:41 PM

#5597 User is offline MrMaestro 

Posted 23 July 2016 - 10:10 PM

• Not your average member of a forum
  • Project:Solving a Rubik's cube
I might be a bit late asking this question but is there a "COMPLETE" guide to adding Knuckles into Sonic 2

#5598 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 23 July 2016 - 10:36 PM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
Not until someone makes it complete.

#5599 User is offline KingofHarts 

Posted 23 July 2016 - 10:38 PM

• WHY CANT I EDIT THE WIKIIII????
  • Project:Sonic 1 Complete (SHC 2016 Entry)
  • Wiki edits:1
Right from our very own SCHG which you can find at info.sonicretro.org.

PS Hey MODS WHY CANT I STILL EDIT THE WIKI?????

EDIT: Got ninja'd by the creator of said guide... well, really... try his guide out anyway and just work from there... we all can help you out if you get stuck anywhere anyhow...
This post has been edited by KingofHarts: 23 July 2016 - 10:40 PM

#5600 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 24 July 2016 - 06:06 AM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
You may need your wiki password resetting. Speak to an admin or Gerbil.

#5601 User is offline Chaos Rush 

Posted 25 July 2016 - 11:57 AM

I'm wondering:

1. Are there any hacks of Sonic 1 that adds a spindash and nothing else?

2. Are there any hacks of Sonic 1 that adds SRAM saving and nothing else?

3. Are there any hacks of Sonic 2 that adds SRAM saving and nothing else?

Yes, I'm aware that Sonic Classic Heroes effectively accomplishes both of this but the S3&K-style sprites and other added stuff makes it no longer feel like Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 to me, and I just want to play vanilla Sonic 1 and vanilla Sonic 2. If there aren't any 'simple' hacks like this, then I guess I'll just do it myself, but unfortunately I'm quite busy with another project at the moment.

#5602 User is offline Green Snake 

Posted 25 July 2016 - 12:09 PM

• Don't look! Its the Sonic community!
  • Project:hax0r pr0j3kt
You are unlikely to find anything like this aside from a tutorial perspective. These things usually just get added as a part of the hack, rather than the sole purpose of it.

#5603 User is offline Caverns 4 

Posted 25 July 2016 - 02:04 PM

• Project:Sanik Quest: Journey To The Right
Though, now that you mention it, the guide for adding the spindash to Sonic 1 is rather... Out of date. It wouldn't be inappropriate if I updated it even though I didn't write it, would it?

And though Sonic 1 has it on another site, I've never seen a guide on adding SRAM to Sonic 2. Best of done is tried adapting a Sonic 1 guide into the Sonic 2 disassembly.

edit: Also, to be fair, a hack of Sonic 1 with SRAM would be kind of pointless, the game can be beaten with all emeralds pretty quickly without too much fuss.
This post has been edited by Caverns 4: 25 July 2016 - 02:09 PM

#5604 User is offline Violet 

Posted 25 July 2016 - 02:43 PM

• Project:The GMate Engine

View PostChaos Rush, on 25 July 2016 - 11:57 AM, said:

I'm wondering:

1. Are there any hacks of Sonic 1 that adds a spindash and nothing else?

2. Are there any hacks of Sonic 1 that adds SRAM saving and nothing else?

3. Are there any hacks of Sonic 2 that adds SRAM saving and nothing else?

Yes, I'm aware that Sonic Classic Heroes effectively accomplishes both of this but the S3&K-style sprites and other added stuff makes it no longer feel like Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 to me, and I just want to play vanilla Sonic 1 and vanilla Sonic 2. If there aren't any 'simple' hacks like this, then I guess I'll just do it myself, but unfortunately I'm quite busy with another project at the moment.

There's a hack that only adds the Spindash to STH1. (I think it's just called Sonic 1 with Spindash)

#5605 User is offline KingofHarts 

Posted 25 July 2016 - 04:54 PM

• WHY CANT I EDIT THE WIKIIII????
  • Project:Sonic 1 Complete (SHC 2016 Entry)

View PostCaverns 4, on 25 July 2016 - 02:04 PM, said:

edit: Also, to be fair, a hack of Sonic 1 with SRAM would be kind of pointless, the game can be beaten with all emeralds pretty quickly without too much fuss.

Unless you were adding it to a Sonic 1 hack with more... eh, substance... shall we say?

#5606 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 25 July 2016 - 05:35 PM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
Adding SRAM to a game isn't as straightforward as, say, adding the Spin Dash into Sonic 1. The actual process of adding and using SRAM support is fairly simple, but there are several points to consider: Do you want to save progress per-act or per-zone? Should the score be saved? Are you going to add a "New Game"/"Continue" selection to the title screen? Maybe you want multiple save slots?

#5607 User is offline Caverns 4 

Posted 25 July 2016 - 06:06 PM

• Project:Sanik Quest: Journey To The Right
Not that any of those would be particularly hard to work out - That's just about simple game design choice.

I'd think that allowing for multiple save slots would only be as hard as coming up with a good structure to store whatever data is desired, and of course, coding the game to read it as needed. That said though, my thoughts aren't worth much, I haven't really dabbled in SRAM yet, after all.

#5608 User is offline Chaos Rush 

Posted 25 July 2016 - 07:50 PM

I found a hack of Sonic 1 that just adds spindash and several bugfixes, it'll do for now. It still feels like Sonic 1 and that's what I want. (I'll also just stick to vanilla Sonic 2 as well) I mean, love Sonic Classic Heroes, but right now I'm in the mood for something that feels more 'official' and not a bombastic ROM hack, ya know? (Also I know there's that "Sonic 1 and 2" hack but the SRAM for that hack in particular doesn't work on Genesis Plus GX on Wii, and tbh I prefer to keep them as separate games)

View PostMainMemory, on 25 July 2016 - 05:35 PM, said:

Adding SRAM to a game isn't as straightforward as, say, adding the Spin Dash into Sonic 1. The actual process of adding and using SRAM support is fairly simple, but there are several points to consider: Do you want to save progress per-act or per-zone? Should the score be saved? Are you going to add a "New Game"/"Continue" selection to the title screen? Maybe you want multiple save slots?
As for doing it myself, I'm not worried about how hard it is at all, because I've done plenty of ASM stuff on GBA and NES. I'll get around to it eventually, but right now I'm busy working on a NES game translation. When I get around to it though, I think I'll have progress saved per-zone like S3&K does. The Sonic Mania announcement suddenly made me think "gosh I gotta play through the classic games again".

#5609 User is offline cokyen 

Posted 25 July 2016 - 10:06 PM

We write to the Control Port to initialize the VDP registers.

move.l #VDPRegisters, a0
move.l #0x18, d0    
move.l #0x00008000, d1

@CopyVDP:
	move.b (a0)+, d1
	move.w d1, 0x00C00004
	add.w #0x0100, d1       
	dbra d0, @CopyVDP

The line move.w d1, 0x00C00004 essentials here is move.w 8 + register number + value , 0x00C0004 ...What does the first Niblet ( in this case 8) do? I read through Sonic2.doc and VDP docs. Does it have ton don with bits 15 and 14 in the VDP DOC Section: Programming VDP Register
This post has been edited by cokyen: 25 July 2016 - 10:09 PM

#5610 User is offline MarkeyJester 

Posted 25 July 2016 - 10:29 PM

• There's cracks in the floor!
  • Wiki edits:16
http://forums.sonicr...ndpost&p=864819

View Postflamewing, on 24 July 2016 - 06:26 AM, said:

When the VDP receives a word with the higher two bits being %10, it interprets the word as being a command to write a register. The format of such a command word is $8000 + [register number]<<8 + [data byte].

• 379 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users