Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Brad Buxer and the S3 Mid Boss Theme - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Jump to content

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...
 

Brad Buxer and the S3 Mid Boss Theme One step closer to the truth, or?

#31 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:47 PM

  • DYNAMIC SONIC! EXCITING SONIC! STYLISH SONIC! UNBELIEVABLE!
  • Posts: 7475
  • Joined: 21-April 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Making the world know that Lost World 3DS is terrible
  • Wiki edits:10

View PostLOst, on 23 July 2011 - 10:39 AM, said:

And S&K's theme, as fitting and glory as it seems, is a remix of the real song which is a cheesy country song that kind doesn't fit Sonic at all if you ask me.

Wait, what? What song is it based off of?

#32 User is offline ThunderPX 

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:07 PM

  • Posts: 1438
  • Joined: 17-May 05
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:The Netherlands
  • Project:Being stumped by the beginnings of ROM hacking in an attempt to translate a game
  • Wiki edits:20
I think LOst is referring to the "Sonic & Knuckles Theme" track from Virtual Sonic.

#33 User is offline XCubed 

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:57 AM

  • Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center
  • Posts: 2843
  • Joined: 23-November 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ft. Lauderdale, FL
  • Wiki edits:5
When I was originally looking for , I was expecting the more lame midi sounding version, but this doesn't sound as bad. It still has that lame 80s-90s vibe to it though and now I know where the Sonic Robo Blast 2 theme came from.....WoW. I always thought SRB2's theme was an original composition...XD

#34 User is offline E102 

Posted 11 August 2011 - 02:27 PM

  • "γ"
  • Posts: 84
  • Joined: 07-February 11
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:213
Sorry if this is old news, but apparently Drossin has been interviewed about MJ's involvement.



To any newcomers who may be reading this, I'd like to take this opportunity to state exactly what Drossin did so we can stop bugging him about it (you'll see why by the end):

Virtual Sonic was recorded back in 1993 (as stated in the 2009 Drossin interview on here), so he composed the Sonic and Knuckles theme and Knucklemania (the tracks that S&K Title, S&K 1-Up, S&K Invincibility, S&K All Clear and S&K Knuckles' Theme were derived from) back then. Those tracks were then arranged and programmed by Masaru Setsumaru some time later (which was anywhere between that point of '93 and October '94 [when S&K was released]; the exact time of that happening is unknown). The themes were intended to be used in Sonic 3, but weren't (hence the Sound Special Thanks credit) but they were put in for Sonic & Knuckles (hence the upgrade to a Music Composer credit).

The 517 S3&K beta (referenced in the 2008 Drossin interview) hints that the versions done by Setsumaru were created between then (May 1994) and the game's release (October 1994), as the credits music from the beta still used the Sonic 3 theme (for the All Clear jingle at the end).

When you look at where the themes originated, Drossin was never actually involved with the production of the game at all; he was just a guy from the Institute who made a CD of Sonic music that would be used for a game but wound up being caught in the middle of a global-scale clusterf**k of rumor, scandal and minimalistic crediting.

Oh, and Chris-chan didn't help, either. (Don't ask)
This post has been edited by E102: 21 October 2011 - 12:13 PM

#35 User is offline Yuzoboy 

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:39 PM

  • Posts: 107
  • Joined: 09-December 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK
I found Howard's comments on the way the Japanese credited the composers rather interesting. Its something thats evident in other games too.

#36 User is offline Jami393 

Posted 20 October 2011 - 01:07 PM

  • Posts: 20
  • Joined: 25-February 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:England
  • Wiki edits:1
I never saw it and I know this is bumping up and old topic, but why hasn't anyone mentioned that Smooth Criminal is also related to IceCap Zone. They are the same and can be more related than the whole IceCap and Who Is It connection as you can see in this video.

I'm not saying that Who Is It and IceCap are not related but it really more Smooth Criminal than anything.

#37 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 20 October 2011 - 01:13 PM

  • Posts: 8692
  • Joined: 11-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Spain
  • Wiki edits:18

View PostJami393, on 20 October 2011 - 01:07 PM, said:

I never saw it and I know this is bumping up and old topic, but why hasn't anyone mentioned that Smooth Criminal is also related to IceCap Zone.

It's in the wiki.

#38 User is offline Jami393 

Posted 20 October 2011 - 01:16 PM

  • Posts: 20
  • Joined: 25-February 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:England
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostICEknight, on 20 October 2011 - 01:13 PM, said:

View PostJami393, on 20 October 2011 - 01:07 PM, said:

I never saw it and I know this is bumping up and old topic, but why hasn't anyone mentioned that Smooth Criminal is also related to IceCap Zone.

It's in the wiki.


I know that but no one mentioned it on this thread that is why I shared that thread.

#39 User is offline JaxTH 

Posted 20 October 2011 - 01:35 PM

  • Pudding Deity
  • Posts: 5594
  • Joined: 29-March 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Los Angeles
  • Project:Jack shit.
  • Wiki edits:2

View PostJami393, on 20 October 2011 - 01:16 PM, said:

View PostICEknight, on 20 October 2011 - 01:13 PM, said:

View PostJami393, on 20 October 2011 - 01:07 PM, said:

I never saw it and I know this is bumping up and old topic, but why hasn't anyone mentioned that Smooth Criminal is also related to IceCap Zone.

It's in the wiki.


I know that but no one mentioned it on this thread that is why I shared that thread.

It's been discussed about for at least 5 years. :v:

Plus it's on the wiki.

#40 User is offline Jami393 

Posted 20 October 2011 - 01:42 PM

  • Posts: 20
  • Joined: 25-February 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:England
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostJaxTH, on 20 October 2011 - 01:35 PM, said:

View PostJami393, on 20 October 2011 - 01:16 PM, said:

View PostICEknight, on 20 October 2011 - 01:13 PM, said:

View PostJami393, on 20 October 2011 - 01:07 PM, said:

I never saw it and I know this is bumping up and old topic, but why hasn't anyone mentioned that Smooth Criminal is also related to IceCap Zone.

It's in the wiki.


I know that but no one mentioned it on this thread that is why I shared that thread.

It's been discussed about for at least 5 years. :v:

Plus it's on the wiki.


I know it is on the wiki.

#41 User is offline Sonicandtails 

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:15 PM

  • Posts: 240
  • Joined: 05-December 07
  • Gender:Male

View PostJami393, on 20 October 2011 - 01:42 PM, said:

View PostJaxTH, on 20 October 2011 - 01:35 PM, said:

View PostJami393, on 20 October 2011 - 01:16 PM, said:

View PostICEknight, on 20 October 2011 - 01:13 PM, said:

View PostJami393, on 20 October 2011 - 01:07 PM, said:

I never saw it and I know this is bumping up and old topic, but why hasn't anyone mentioned that Smooth Criminal is also related to IceCap Zone.

It's in the wiki.


I know that but no one mentioned it on this thread that is why I shared that thread.

It's been discussed about for at least 5 years. :v:

Plus it's on the wiki.


I know it is on the wiki.


You're basically trying to bring up information that's not new to probably anyone here, even if it doesn't appear in the thread. Thus, it's of insubstantial worth for bumping an old thread. But you're a Posted Image so I guess it's somewhat forgivable >_>

#42 User is offline XCubed 

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:13 PM

  • Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center
  • Posts: 2843
  • Joined: 23-November 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ft. Lauderdale, FL
  • Wiki edits:5
"It all sounds distinctively Japanese to me..." Bullshit. The style is COMPLETELY different from Sonic 1 and 2. No one wants to admit that MJ nor his affiliates had anything to do with the final product....then HD backpedals with "Jam!"


Something I found out recently: My partner's grandmother works for a BIG law firm (the kind that provide for celebrities/high profile people and such) that would hold annual parties, inviting their clients as well as related celebrities. One of these people was Michael Jackson. I was THIS FUCKING CLOSE.

#43 User is offline Metal Man88 

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:41 PM

  • Time Traveller
  • Posts: 2138
  • Joined: 06-March 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:46
It's old news. Completely ancient news.

There's nothing to discuss about it at the moment.

(In response to Mr. Trial Member, not the posts above)
This post has been edited by Metal Man88: 20 October 2011 - 08:42 PM

#44 User is offline LOst 

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:43 AM

  • Sonic 2 HD - Lead Programmer
  • Posts: 4877
  • Joined: 10-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:2

View PostXCubed, on 20 October 2011 - 03:13 PM, said:

One of these people was Michael Jackson. I was THIS FUCKING CLOSE.

I am sorry he is dead. He was probably someone else named the same ;)

#45 User is offline Jami393 

Posted 21 October 2011 - 03:08 PM

  • Posts: 20
  • Joined: 25-February 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:England
  • Wiki edits:1
I know we know the truth with Michael's music being in the final version of Sonic 3, but couldn't we ask those who composed the tracks that replaced them in the PC version?

  • 9 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Last ►
    Locked
    Locked Forum

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users