Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: HAA-2510 Japanese or Asian - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Jump to content

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
    Locked
    Locked Forum

HAA-2510 Japanese or Asian If Asian, is it PAL or NTSC?

#1 User is offline redhotsonic 

Posted 30 July 2018 - 08:10 AM

  • Also known as RHS
  • Posts: 1583
  • Joined: 31-January 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Project:Sonic Bash!
  • Wiki edits:24
Quick explanation if you care:
Spoiler


Before you suggest it, a Sega Genesis is out of the question. There seems to be none whatsoever in the UK or in Europe so I have to import it from the USA/Canada themselves. They go for like £150 and that's not even considering the shipping price and then the import tax I may have to pay.

Japanese consoles are similar, mostly from Japan, huge price, import tax, but there are a few from Europe (saves import tax) and some in the UK. However, would I really be buying a Japanese console? Or am I going to get tricked into owning another Asian console?


I was first intrigued by this console on ebay. Looks like a genuine Japanese console, until I saw that the box has "PAL-I" on top of the flap. Guh, I asked the seller to send me the back of the console, which he replied with this.

I always thought HAA-2510 were NTSC consoles but this says otherwise. So my search continued. I found many obvious Asian consoles (because the back of the MD had a different model number and literally said "PAL-I") so I disregarded them, but I found a few that people were claiming they were Japanese consoles and run in 60Hz (with the model number being HAA-2510). This one for example.

I even messaged the seller and he said he's tested it, it's un-modded, and it runs in 60Hz. Possibly PAL-60? I'm not sure?


But here's the kicker. Here's one that's also HAA-2510 but it's an NTSC model. No sign on PAL on the box or console. Too expensive though.


So, my question is, is the HAA-2510 Japanese or Asian? And if it's Asian, is it PAL or NTSC? I've heard with Asian consoles it could be either. But I'm getting a lot of mixed signals here. And Googling for an answer isn't helping.

As long as I get an actual NTSC console, I'm good to go!

Thanks for the advice, guys!

#2 User is offline SoullessSentinel 

Posted 03 August 2018 - 01:40 AM

  • Posts: 252
  • Joined: 01-October 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Grimsby, England
  • Project:Cxbx-Reloaded
I see the PAL-Asian console I sold you many years ago has finally outlived its usefulness, I hope it's been good to you so far.


If you're comfortable with modding, or know somebody who is, you can add a second oscillator to run at the proper NTSC frequency, which should solve your problem. It's usually referred to as the "Color correction mod" online.

#3 User is offline redhotsonic 

Posted 03 August 2018 - 07:44 AM

  • Also known as RHS
  • Posts: 1583
  • Joined: 31-January 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Project:Sonic Bash!
  • Wiki edits:24
Welp, after watching this video, it turns out that most of them on eBay will be the 50Hz Asian Mega Drive... craaaaaap! Looks like I either have to splash the cash or be patient for a good deal. Why is verifying versions so difficult? =P


View PostSoullessSentinel, on 03 August 2018 - 01:40 AM, said:

I see the PAL-Asian console I sold you many years ago has finally outlived its usefulness, I hope it's been good to you so far.


I wouldn't call it the end. I'll probably use it for when I want to play in PAL still. Also, I have to use it for now in 60Hz until a real deal Japanese model appears. But yes, it's been great so far. I'm even using it for my stream later tonight :D


View PostSoullessSentinel, on 03 August 2018 - 01:40 AM, said:

If you're comfortable with modding, or know somebody who is, you can add a second oscillator to run at the proper NTSC frequency, which should solve your problem. It's usually referred to as the "Color correction mod" online.


Just searched it online. That looks really really complicated. And with a lot of searching and patience and etc. Probably not worth the hassle!

#4 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 05 August 2018 - 09:57 PM

  • Posts: 10970
  • Joined: 11-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Spain
  • Wiki edits:18

View Postredhotsonic, on 03 August 2018 - 07:44 AM, said:

Welp, after watching this video, it turns out that most of them on eBay will be the 50Hz Asian Mega Drive... craaaaaap!

Waiiit, so all "Japanese" Mega Drives with that hole in the back are actually converted PAL Asian consoles?

#5 User is offline redhotsonic 

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:42 AM

  • Also known as RHS
  • Posts: 1583
  • Joined: 31-January 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Project:Sonic Bash!
  • Wiki edits:24
I'm not entirely sure. But another Mega Drive I found here has all the signs of it being the Japanese console, but the seller has confirmed it's the 50Hz version. There's a few more like this so I either risk buying one and hoping for the best, or stick with my modded Asian console.

#6 User is offline The Claw 

Posted 06 August 2018 - 09:34 PM

  • Posts: 41
  • Joined: 24-February 08
It's my understanding the Japanese Mega Drive never had an RF modulator installed, or an opening in the case to add it.
Conversely the modem hole and connector should always be present.

If I'm not mistaken...

#7 User is offline Hivebrain 

Posted 07 August 2018 - 10:25 AM

  • Posts: 2724
  • Joined: 15-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:53.4N, 1.5W
  • Project:HivePal 2.0
  • Wiki edits:6,176

View PostICEknight, on 05 August 2018 - 09:57 PM, said:

View Postredhotsonic, on 03 August 2018 - 07:44 AM, said:

Welp, after watching this video, it turns out that most of them on eBay will be the 50Hz Asian Mega Drive... craaaaaap!

Waiiit, so all "Japanese" Mega Drives with that hole in the back are actually converted PAL Asian consoles?

I think it's part of the standard mould. I have a Japanese MD with no RF module on the motherboard and it still has the hole.

#8 User is offline The Claw 

Posted 07 August 2018 - 10:44 AM

  • Posts: 41
  • Joined: 24-February 08

View PostHivebrain, on 07 August 2018 - 10:25 AM, said:

View PostICEknight, on 05 August 2018 - 09:57 PM, said:

View Postredhotsonic, on 03 August 2018 - 07:44 AM, said:

Welp, after watching this video, it turns out that most of them on eBay will be the 50Hz Asian Mega Drive... craaaaaap!

Waiiit, so all "Japanese" Mega Drives with that hole in the back are actually converted PAL Asian consoles?

I think it's part of the standard mould. I have a Japanese MD with no RF module on the motherboard and it still has the hole.


That might be the case for the Asian mould, I don't know.

Later non-Asian revisions lack the modem hole.

#9 User is offline Hivebrain 

Posted 07 August 2018 - 11:23 AM

  • Posts: 2724
  • Joined: 15-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:53.4N, 1.5W
  • Project:HivePal 2.0
  • Wiki edits:6,176

View PostThe Claw, on 07 August 2018 - 10:44 AM, said:

View PostHivebrain, on 07 August 2018 - 10:25 AM, said:

View PostICEknight, on 05 August 2018 - 09:57 PM, said:

View Postredhotsonic, on 03 August 2018 - 07:44 AM, said:

Welp, after watching this video, it turns out that most of them on eBay will be the 50Hz Asian Mega Drive... craaaaaap!

Waiiit, so all "Japanese" Mega Drives with that hole in the back are actually converted PAL Asian consoles?

I think it's part of the standard mould. I have a Japanese MD with no RF module on the motherboard and it still has the hole.


That might be the case for the Asian mould, I don't know.

Later non-Asian revisions lack the modem hole.

I'd like to see a photo of one.

#10 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 07 August 2018 - 11:27 AM

  • Posts: 10970
  • Joined: 11-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Spain
  • Wiki edits:18

View PostHivebrain, on 07 August 2018 - 10:25 AM, said:

View PostICEknight, on 05 August 2018 - 09:57 PM, said:

View Postredhotsonic, on 03 August 2018 - 07:44 AM, said:

Welp, after watching this video, it turns out that most of them on eBay will be the 50Hz Asian Mega Drive... craaaaaap!

Waiiit, so all "Japanese" Mega Drives with that hole in the back are actually converted PAL Asian consoles?

I think it's part of the standard mould. I have a Japanese MD with no RF module on the motherboard and it still has the hole.

Oh ok then, I was worried for a second that I had been scammed.

#11 User is offline The Claw 

Posted 07 August 2018 - 01:00 PM

  • Posts: 41
  • Joined: 24-February 08

View PostHivebrain, on 07 August 2018 - 11:23 AM, said:

View PostThe Claw, on 07 August 2018 - 10:44 AM, said:

View PostHivebrain, on 07 August 2018 - 10:25 AM, said:

View PostICEknight, on 05 August 2018 - 09:57 PM, said:

View Postredhotsonic, on 03 August 2018 - 07:44 AM, said:

Welp, after watching this video, it turns out that most of them on eBay will be the 50Hz Asian Mega Drive... craaaaaap!

Waiiit, so all "Japanese" Mega Drives with that hole in the back are actually converted PAL Asian consoles?

I think it's part of the standard mould. I have a Japanese MD with no RF module on the motherboard and it still has the hole.


That might be the case for the Asian mould, I don't know.

Later non-Asian revisions lack the modem hole.

I'd like to see a photo of one.



Like this Genesis.

The modem hole is rectangular, the RF hole is round, they're not at all mistakable for one another.
(that smaller square hole is for RF channel selection)
This post has been edited by The Claw: 07 August 2018 - 01:06 PM

#12 User is offline Hivebrain 

Posted 07 August 2018 - 01:06 PM

  • Posts: 2724
  • Joined: 15-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:53.4N, 1.5W
  • Project:HivePal 2.0
  • Wiki edits:6,176
Sorry, we got our wires crossed (pun intended). I was talking about the small hole in the middle where the RF cable comes out. That Genesis has one.

#13 User is offline The Claw 

Posted 07 August 2018 - 02:54 PM

  • Posts: 41
  • Joined: 24-February 08

View PostHivebrain, on 07 August 2018 - 01:06 PM, said:

Sorry, we got our wires crossed (pun intended). I was talking about the small hole in the middle where the RF cable comes out. That Genesis has one.


I covered that in an earlier post.
The original Mega Drive as released in Japan, does not have the RF module or a hole for it.

All revisions of the model 1 that were named Genesis support RF.
This post has been edited by The Claw: 07 August 2018 - 02:59 PM

#14 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 08 August 2018 - 05:27 AM

  • Posts: 10970
  • Joined: 11-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Spain
  • Wiki edits:18
Are you completely sure? My (presumed) Japanese Mega Drive has the very first box design without any "PAL" markings and has the small round hole in the back.

EDIT: Also, wasn't it used to keep the Master System Converter in place? (Mine came without all the pieces, so I'm not sure on that one)
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 08 August 2018 - 05:48 AM

#15 User is offline The Claw 

Posted 08 August 2018 - 06:43 AM

  • Posts: 41
  • Joined: 24-February 08

View PostICEknight, on 08 August 2018 - 05:27 AM, said:

Are you completely sure? My (presumed) Japanese Mega Drive has the very first box design without any "PAL" markings and has the small round hole in the back.

EDIT: Also, wasn't it used to keep the Master System Converter in place? (Mine came without all the pieces, so I'm not sure on that one)


Wrong hole. That one is behind the cartridge slot, and smaller.


This is a Japanese MD1.
Look at the empty spot next to the AV DIN. There's no RF output capability.

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
    Locked
    Locked Forum

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users