Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Archie Sonic Comic Megathread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 209 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Archie Sonic Comic Megathread IDW will start publishing in 2018

#2971 User is offline runde 

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:42 PM

• Project:What was I was supposed to do again?
Yeah. All this was pretty inevitable after a while.

I feel bad for the staff who lost their contracts or their positions from this.

If the licence is had by someone, hopefully that outfit can do it better than most of the Archie series.

#2972 User is offline Boxer Hockey 

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:30 PM

nuts

#2973 User is offline Lanzer 

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:34 PM

• The saber calls for its master...
  • Project:Doing Stuff.
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostBoxer Hockey, on 19 July 2017 - 10:30 PM, said:

nuts

Sounds like most of you who did work on the comics were sideslapped like we were, huh?

I'm sorry for Overdrive, we were all looking forward to it.

#2974 User is offline Glaber 

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:04 PM

• Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA
  • Project:Gmod Ragdolls and Props, Pony maps
  • Wiki edits:10
on the bright side, it's going to be years before any other licensed property can break Sonic's recored for longest lasting licensed comic series, and total number of comics for a licensed series.

#2975 User is offline rebelcheese 

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:15 PM

Hopefully Sonic will get to break his own records in those categories.

#2976 User is online Burezu 

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:35 PM

• Butt.
  • Project:http://bit.ly/2qKLOPW
I just love that Archie still hasn't said anything about it. Not even a "Thanks for following us all these years," to the fans. It seems like Sega wanted things to continue (and I guess in some fashion they will?), but Archie could care less.

#2977 User is offline TheKazeblade 

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:44 PM

• "Our Life is More than a Side-Effect"

View PostBurezu, on 19 July 2017 - 11:35 PM, said:

I just love that Archie still hasn't said anything about it. Not even a "Thanks for following us all these years," to the fans. It seems like Sega wanted things to continue (and I guess in some fashion they will?), but Archie could care less.

Doubtful; based on the wording of the press release, it sounds like it was Sega's choice to part ways, which isn't surprising in the least considering the Penders debacle and the looming threat of other ex-writers wanting in on the action. Sega wouldn't want to unnecessarily embroil themselves in a scenario like that.

That said, I also wouldn't be shocked if Archie didn't put up much of a fight. Rumors circulating around have hinted towards the idea that Archie wants to push their primary stable of characters and the Riverdale tv show first and foremost. Still, Sonic was a cash cow and with Riverdale's ratings being decidedly in the "meh" category, the shift to an all-Archie and friends future may backfire.

Though the trade-off is not having the likes of Penders and friends knocking on their door every year or so cutting into their bottom line due to poorly implemented contracts, so hey, maybe they'll break even.

#2978 User is offline LMaster562 

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:46 PM

I'm sad to see the comic go. I was with it since the original miniseries and followed it since. I've been to virtually any forum that discussed it and I knew Ian Flynn back in the Other M days. Hell, a bunch of us fans posted on Penders forums before he was off the deep end too. I really hope wherever sonic goes he and many of the old team get another chance.

I've been seeing so much blame for Penders, but Scott Fulup who may have been the one mishandling paperwork back then had his own lawsuit more recently too. I remember when they started doing the digests that the old filing system was just heaps of papers and art, let alone stories of flood damage destroying things. They found designs and concepts no one employed even knew existed. Even more recently I learned Archie did treat their creatives like dirt until pretty much the end. It was some of their love for the property that kept them going.

Also, not long before the Bumbleking forum was shut down I learned Jon Gray and many of the creatives who left over the last couple of years had filed suits for their treatment. It was less Sonic but I believe more a general Archie thing. Maybe it was covered on the fan comic Archie Sonic's forum. Some of the same userbase so hard to remember for sure. If Archie was that bad, I kind of hope Sega finds a company that will treat its employees well.

I hope Ian just releases his Lost Hedgehog Tales with his unused storylines too, so we can have a bit more of a conclusion to all the new and old ideas that never saw the light. I'll miss it, but I have hopes for the future.

#2979 User is online Okamikurainya 

Posted 20 July 2017 - 12:31 AM

• Project:Sonic: Time Attacked - MAX
Thank goodness for a final answer! Being kept in the dark for months like that was worse than a straight cut cancellation.

I remember my first introduction to the American Sonic Comics... I must have been 8 or 9 when I found a big hamper of them for £1 in They Walk Among Us, back when I was staying in England. I have to admit I really didn't like the comics back then. The paper was rough and prone to tearing, unlike my good ol' StC magazine pages and the artwork and stories were just so different from what I was used to. I remember the first issue I opened up having Antoine go hunting for a Chaos Emerald to make a ring for Bunnie and I facepalmed so hard. Sigh...

But I picked it up again on Ian's Sonic Birthday issue, I think #160, once I'd moved over here to South Africa and had been following it ever since.
I always felt Ian "got" Sonic, and his background as a fan always made me feel happy for some reason. I really hope he can continue to work on Sonic if it does go to a new publisher and I hope his last few years of worldbuilding don't go to waste.
This post has been edited by Okamikurainya: 20 July 2017 - 12:35 AM

#2980 User is offline KingOfBunnies 

Posted 20 July 2017 - 01:10 AM

This is bad for Archie in the long run. Sonic was always selling well for them, better than Archie was. Once this whole Riverdale hype and the reboot comics lose popularity, they're gonna lose money. I mean, they payed Adam Hughes to do covers for fucking Betty and Veronica. Honestly, there's no way that comic is doing well enough to justify the amount of money Hughes asks for. Archie is gonna go down the drain.

#2981 User is offline Casshern 

Posted 20 July 2017 - 01:44 AM

I wouldn't say Sonic was doing so hot for them. After the reboot, comics were doing 8,000-10,000 sales with some arcs dropping into 6,000 (I think it was spark of life that didn't sold well.)

I even remember last year Jughead was outselling Sonic for a couple of months. Maybe in the long it wasn't worth it for Archie to keep paying for the license and for Sega to keep dealing with them.

This way Archie can focus on Archie and Riverdale (which btw guys it's actually doing good contrary to popular belief) and Sega can find a better home for Sonic.

Sucks that the 300 milestone wasn't reached and that Mega Drive wasn't concluded though but life's a bitch I guess.
This post has been edited by Casshern: 20 July 2017 - 02:24 AM

#2982 User is offline Rockman Zero 

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:10 AM

• Hello there, my little friend.
  • Project:Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
  • Wiki edits:6
Sonic Overdrive must be published as a swan song for the Archie comics. I really want to see it published.

#2983 User is offline Boxer Hockey 

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:14 AM

View PostLanzer, on 19 July 2017 - 10:34 PM, said:

View PostBoxer Hockey, on 19 July 2017 - 10:30 PM, said:

nuts

Sounds like most of you who did work on the comics were sideslapped like we were, huh?

I'm sorry for Overdrive, we were all looking forward to it.

We would hear little things here and there, but considering the level these talks were being had at, it would have been very strange for a bunch of contractors to be looped in on it all. I wasn't very optimistic, but I tend to hope for the best in most situations. It's a shame to think of all the work that was completed but never released. Both mine, and others. I'd say the biggest disappointment is just how much a fizzle this whole situation wound up being. I was hoping a best case scenario would have been a short term contract extension to at least send the comic to a respectful end. But to just drop out in the middle of several storylines is such a thud of an ending to a series being made by people who cared so much. Until the whole story behind this whole thing inevitably spills though, I would just say please don't be too hasty to blame one party or the other. This whole thing is likely a very complicated situation.
For now though, thanks for reading the books all these years and the entire crew is grateful for the support.

#2984 User is offline Sir_mihael 

Posted 20 July 2017 - 06:10 AM

• DON'T TRUST THIS MAN
Ouch. Nothing's worst than having a story arc get axed mid-flow.

I find it funny that the UK Sonic the Comic (a comic that quite nicely tied up it's story and loose ends with a nice finale before being cancelled) got a fan continuation in the form of StC Online despite not really needing it.

I wonder what the odds are of a similar thing happening now? Of course miniscule to non-existent. Fleetway's staff were always chill and weren't exactly too fussed about what fans on the Internet did, but to expect that from current year Archie, SEGA and even the lurking Penders? Impossible.

In a perfect world, it would be great to see the story arcs (both pre and post-genesis wave) concluded some day, even unofficially.

Anyway, I ain't really going anywhere with this. The whole thing just fucking sucks and as a UK boy who never grew up with Archie, I feel the most for the fans who grew up with it.

So to all of us, and all the Archie crew who wanted to keep this going POUR A DRINK OUT, PEOPLE. WE'RE ALL GONNA NEED IT.
This post has been edited by Sir_mihael: 20 July 2017 - 06:13 AM

#2985 User is offline Volphied 

Posted 20 July 2017 - 06:15 AM

View PostBoxer Hockey, on 20 July 2017 - 02:14 AM, said:

It's a shame to think of all the work that was completed but never released. Both mine, and others.

What's will now happen to all of the unreleased stuff? Will Archie shred it or will they just lock it away forever?

Right now I'm just hoping for another continuation of Lost Hedgehog Tales.

• 209 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users