Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: A Generic Sonic 1 ROMhack - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

A Generic Sonic 1 ROMhack

#1 User is offline CHRdutch 

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:18 AM

• There's no dog food in it, I swear.
  • Project:A generic Sonic 1 ROMhack
A generic Sonic 1 ROMhack is a ROMhack which mainly focuses on level design. It's goal it to make the levels feel fresh, even though you're playing through the same zones again.

The hack currently is WIP and still has a quite a few bugs, but they'll be ironed out in the SHC 2017 build (if there is a SHC 2017 build). The main reason why I'm releasing it a bit early is because I don't have any testers and I'd like critisism on the level design, since it's the main focus.

The current levels include: GHZ1, GHZ2 and GHZ3.

Crush Dr. Eggman!

After Dr. Eggman's defeat in Sonic 4: Episode II, the Death Egg MK II has crash landed on South Island.
Eggman, who's still recovering from the crash landing, immediately recognises where he landed.
"Wow, the graphics really are a lot worse here", Eggman said upon looking at the pixelated trees.

So, using his knowledge of South Island, and improving on his plan from last time, Eggman builds his new and improved base on South Island.
It's up to Sonic to stop him (again)!

Screenshots

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Credits

Tools used

Sonic 1 GitHub disassembly: Hivebrain, Stealth, drx & Esreal (& Sonic Team)
SonLVL: MainMemory
SonED2: Stealth
Tilemolester: SnowBro
Sonic One Music Editor: fuzzbuzz
Sonic 2 GitHub disassembly: Nemesis, Aurochs & Xenowhirl
NewNeko Palette Editor: nineko
XVI32

Guides used

Spindash Guide Part 1: Lightning & kram1024
Spindash Guide Part 2: Puto
Different songs per Act: nineko
Dynamic Palettes: PsychoSk8r
PAL Music Tempo Guide: Crash
Walk Jump Bug fix: Cinossu & Mercury
Spike Bug fix: FraGag
Fix the SEGA sound: Puto
Display Press Start Button Text: Quickman & Egor305
Water Guide: Tornado
How to make a good custom palette: Mr. Cat
SMPS Guide: Markeyjester

Music

Green Hill Zone Act 2 - Sylvania Castle Act 1: Jubbalub (Original by Jun Senoue)
Green Hill Zone Act 3 - Splash Hill Zone Act 3: Jubbalub (Original by Jun Senoue)

The rest of the music is the original in-game music.

Help with fixing bugs

Markeyjester
Natsumi
MainMemory
LuigiXhero(I think?)

Download

NOTE: if you want to record footage of this WIP hack, you're free from doing so, but it would be appreciated if you'd wait for the SHC 2017 build (or if I don't fix the bugs by then, a later build in this thread).

#2 User is offline Techokami 

Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:14 PM

• For use only on NTSC Genesis systems
  • Project:Sonic Edge
  • Wiki edits:63
ACT 1: I do not like how GHZ1 opens. It is too dangerous and too difficult for the very first action a player takes in the game. At least you added the spindash.

Also, the area below the broken bridge? That is too mean for the first level! You need to ease players into the game and ramp up difficulty appropriately.

Everything else in that level seems alright, though I had quite a bit of sprite flickering when breaking down walls leading to lots of items, objects, and enemies.

ACT 2: The underwater stuff was a nice change of pace! But some of the spike placement was a bit dickish. Also, having Chopper jump out from an area that is not a bridge felt very wrong.

On top of needing to fix the graphical issues with the water graphics, you should look into having a different background for the underwater areas. It doesn't look right the way it currently is. This can be achieved pretty easily with clever use of the chunks to obscure the main background.

Also, that platform you land on after that big automated sequence at the start shouldn't fall out under the player's feet into a pit of spikes. That's just mean.

ACT 3: Aside from a sequence involving jumping across moving platforms above a spike pit, I've got no real issues with this stage.
This post has been edited by Techokami: 08 September 2017 - 12:32 PM

#3 User is offline Epsilonsama 

Posted 17 September 2017 - 04:50 AM

• THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE!
  • Wiki edits:7
Liked what you did with Act 2 and Act 3 but Act 1 was not as good. It was too hard for a first level and it had dickish bottomless pits. Rule of thumb on a Sonic game is to let the player know when bottomless pits are and use em sparingly.

Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users