Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Forces Thread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 423 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sonic Forces Thread

#6331 User is offline JRokujuushi 

Posted 21 June 2018 - 01:40 PM

• I'm give up your appellation's technical monkey
Sonic Forces is on sale on the Switch eShop. 40% off, bringing it down to $23.99.

...why do I feel so tempted to get it? I already have it on Steam! I've already played it! It's not great!

#6332 User is offline 360 

Posted 21 June 2018 - 02:45 PM

• Light Vision Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon
Sonic Forces is 50% off on Steam too via the Steam Summer sale. £34.99 discounted to £17.49.

Also though everyone in the universe almost definitely has it by now Sonic Generations is a massive 75% off too. £14.99 discounted to the absolute steal of £3.74. Kicking myself because I bought it at full price a couple of months back. Sonic games across the board also have deep discounts (almost every Sonic game) outside of Sumo's racing games which sadly aren't discounted - so have a look!

Only question now is, do I pull the trigger on Forces given it's a mainline Sonic game and is kind of "okay" or hold off because it's truly not any good. I'll think about it.
This post has been edited by 360: 21 June 2018 - 02:47 PM

#6333 User is offline Shaddy the guy 

Posted 21 June 2018 - 04:19 PM

• Zaphod's just some guy, you know?
  • Project:Completely remaking my fanedit because I messed up
I think PC is certainly the best console to buy it on, if for modding content alone. I think the physics alterations mods really improve a lot gameplay-wise and I'm kicking myself for only having gone for the switch version (though my PC does suck dick so I mightn't've been able to run it anyway).

I'd still really say it's not an awful game or anything. I think people's disappointment is justified, but it's a perfectly functional and sorta-fun game, it's just not comparable to any of the other good modern games.
This post has been edited by Shaddy the guy: 22 June 2018 - 02:52 AM

#6334 User is offline big smile 

Posted 22 June 2018 - 02:03 AM

View Post360, on 21 June 2018 - 02:45 PM, said:

Only question now is, do I pull the trigger on Forces given it's a mainline Sonic game and is kind of "okay" or hold off because it's truly not any good. I'll think about it.

There's a lot of fun to be had with Forces, especially once you beat story mode and do the missions. There's some pretty neat examples of level design hidden away in the classic stages (although sadly only a very small amount).

Forces main problem is that it's such a step back from Generations and Colours. It reminds me of how 8-bit Sonic 1 was a striped down version of the original, but Forces is even more so.
I am not sure if it's worth £17. Might be worth getting when it hits £9.99.

#6335 User is offline Zephyr 

Posted 22 June 2018 - 03:09 AM

• Wiki edits:2
I can't say I'd even pay $5 for it.

#6336 User is offline dot.kh 

Posted 22 June 2018 - 04:18 PM

• gNaRZ!1
Forces has some neat next-gen stuff going on, but Infinite and the Death Egg Robots (<- lame) are just not as cool as fighting the god of destruction himself, an ancient water creature from the past (<- awesome). Or playing through Generations again. Or Mania.

#6337 User is offline Jimmy Hedgehog 

Posted 22 June 2018 - 04:27 PM

• Project:RAoSTH (Sprite Comic), Sawnik (Still need a better name)
  • Wiki edits:2
So I was looking on the Sonic Forces page on SteamDB and came across this
Posted Image
Is this game going to be getting more DLC?

#6338 User is offline Sir_mihael 

Posted 22 June 2018 - 06:19 PM

• DON'T TRUST THIS MAN
Okay, I'm definitely interested. Regardless of opinions on Forces itself, the DLC has made things a lot more enjoyable (Episode Shadow, Super Sonic, Sanic T-Shirts, mofo'ing PUYO HAT)

#6339 User is offline BlazeHedgehog 

Posted 22 June 2018 - 07:01 PM

• A "Community Enigma"?
  • Wiki edits:51
Sonic Forces on PC is good for mods, but the PC version is also a sub-par port on a lot of levels

I get horrible frame pacing stuttering in the game and from what I've been able to gather it's because I chose Nvidia over AMD. Hardlight, the Sega Studio that ported the game to PC, partnered with AMD, and Sonic Forces on PC has Radeon-specific extensions to make it run better on those graphics cards versus Nvidia.

What this ultimately means is that, at least to my eyes, Sonic Forces goes from a locked 60fps but will suddenly appear to drop well below that marker for a few seconds, only to eventually level back out again. I'm not one of those anal-retentive "60fps or nothing" weirdos, but having it be so inconsistent is really annoying. It's not as though any specific effect or section of level causes the framerate to drop in Sonic Forces, it just happens at random. It's even happened while sitting on the menu, sometimes.

https://www.youtube....h?v=6g1-sp1BpjY

The PC version also doesn't let you use the d-pad at the same time as the analog stick. It's one or the other. The console versions let you use both at the same time, like in Sonic Generations.

Plus, the modding scene in Sonic Forces seems to be kind of slow going, from what I've seen. By the time there's something truly worth it released, I'm sure the game will be even cheaper. I'd go for a console version, if you can find it.

#6340 User is offline SuperSonicRider 

Posted 22 June 2018 - 07:10 PM

• Sonic Colors DS enthusiast
  • Wiki edits:101

View PostJimmy Hedgehog, on 22 June 2018 - 04:27 PM, said:

So I was looking on the Sonic Forces page on SteamDB and came across this
Posted Image
Is this game going to be getting more DLC?

Earlier this week (IIRC) there was an issue with the Super Sonic DLC that was causing it to show as priced. It got fixed though. That's probably what the update is.

#6341 User is offline Shaddy the guy 

Posted 22 June 2018 - 08:20 PM

• Zaphod's just some guy, you know?
  • Project:Completely remaking my fanedit because I messed up
Actually, IIRC I think that had been there a long time, with people speculating what it was, even though we never really got an answer

#6342 User is offline Saturnine Sable 

Posted 23 June 2018 - 04:12 AM

• Nectar Hime
  • Project:SEGA Carnival
Probably a small expansion or story DLC to launch in lieu of Mania Plus.

#6343 User is offline Ashram 

Posted 05 September 2018 - 12:59 AM

• Wiki edits:13
Hate to bump this, but booklet scans for the Sonic Forces OST have finally gone up and the pertinent artist info is down in the notes section of the VGMdb page: https://vgmdb.net/album/72210

#6344 User is online Prototype 

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:41 PM

I'm sorry if this is a pointless post, hate to bump a dead thread, and I know I'm pretty late to the game... but I finally played Sonic Forces.

Hoo boy. I knew it'd be bad based on what my preferences for gameplay are, and the reputation the game has garnered, but damn. I didn't think the actual gameplay would be so awful that I had to quit before finishing the create-a-character screen. Like, that first Green Hill Zone stage... it was the most unresponsive fun-draining thing I have EVER played. Usually I can find some merit in most types of gameplay no matter the genre, but this was just awful. The graphics are nice I suppose, but I'm not playing a game based on polygon count or texture quality. This was just horrible.

EDIT: I tried to play it once more, just to see if Classic Sonic handles any better. My god, the levels are bland, the music is horrible and the physics are absolutely dreadful. I realise that I'm just re-confirming what everyone already knows, and that I'm sure nobody here actually wants to discuss Forces anymore, but it was so strikingly bad that I just had to comment.

Also, what the heck is up with Sonic's sarcastic quips at everything? When the fuck did Sonic turn into Bubsy? Poor controls, cheap deaths and endless quipping. Bubsy was the cheap attempt to cash in on the "mascot with 'tude!" craze popularized by Sonic, but now it's like Sonic Team are unironically trying to ape that. It's utterly baffling.
This post has been edited by Prototype: 14 October 2018 - 04:35 AM

• 423 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users