Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Mobius Evolution - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 5 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Mobius Evolution

#1 User is offline Felik 

Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:12 AM

• Wiki edits:1
Why on Earth are we not discussing this?????

Download

Edit: Thanks DigitalDuck
This post has been edited by Felik: 08 August 2015 - 08:24 AM

#2 User is offline DigitalDuck 

Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:17 AM

• Arriving four years late.
  • Project:TurBoa, S1RL
I saw this video uploaded and wondered why there wasn't a topic.

It looks like an incredibly well-done hack.

View PostFelik, on 08 August 2015 - 08:12 AM, said:

Also I removed the goddamn "s" from my video link, why does it not work?

Because the watch code starts with t=75

Put that at the end instead:

EDIT: Although it looks like you didn't actually want it in there at all, so take it out (leave the ?, remove the & sign).
This post has been edited by DigitalDuck: 08 August 2015 - 08:20 AM

#3 User is offline Clownacy 

Posted 08 August 2015 - 09:52 AM

• Layin' the Wax and Spinnin' the Sounds
Ugh, I don't know, this seems sloppy.

You have your hardware incompatibility, springs galore, certain design choices that'll make you really regret getting Super Sonic. Add to that some poorly executed bosses, rampant Eggman monitors, and an unhealthy amount of bugs and oversights, and this just becomes uncomfortable. Also, I'm glitching through the level way more than I should be, and I'm pretty sure the last boss I fought killed me after I defeated it. No thanks, I'd rather experiment with something else. I am not sitting though another game over just to see another zone of this.

Also

Some YouTube comment said:

Uncharted Tide Act 3 is absolutely awful. First, it's stupid that you're forced to stay only a few steps ahead of the boss, due to the fixed scrolling of the level. The fact that you're meant to endure two whole minutes of this without a checkpoint is especially appalling. Second, you can't even fight the boss until you reach the arena at the end. Why? The boss doesn't have any extra shielding for the chase segment. Third, after two minutes of incredibly slow and tedious gameplay, you get into a fight where the boss gets painfully drawn-out segments of invincibility. Finally, look at the graphics used for that boss. I mean, FUCK. That hastily-upscaled Chopper is ugly as sin.

I'm with this guy. Really, I get that hacks don't have to feel authentic, but there's a point where bosses become anti-Sonic, and just don't work in a hack.

#4 User is offline amphobius 

Posted 08 August 2015 - 01:16 PM

• where are the japanese shaman girls, lintahlo?
  • Project:life
  • Wiki edits:165
Is nobody else going to question the Metallica M in Mobius or am I going insane

#5 User is offline Felik 

Posted 08 August 2015 - 01:55 PM

• Wiki edits:1

View PostClownacy, on 08 August 2015 - 09:52 AM, said:

I'm not impressed

I'd take this over a great 1-zone hack any day.
Pana and Brother trouble are great but they are demos and never gonna be released as a finished product BECAUSE they are so technically advanced.
This may be sloppy but it has so much effort and soul put in it, I can't help but adore this hack.

P.S. Those crazy frogs are the best new enemies I witnessed in a hack in a long time. Also that running animation, you can't not fall in love with it.

#6 User is offline Clownacy 

Posted 08 August 2015 - 02:08 PM

• Layin' the Wax and Spinnin' the Sounds
Well, now you're just going into quality vs quantity. I'm not looking for technically advanced-ness in hacks, I'm looking for playability.
This post has been edited by Clownacy: 08 August 2015 - 02:09 PM

#7 User is offline Phase 

Posted 08 August 2015 - 02:28 PM

• Project:Sonic Battle Hacking Suite
I think the colors are a bit weird. The first stage has that light-brown background with the green grass, it just doesn't go together. The other stages have similar backgrounds as their foregrounds, so it's harder to differentiate the two. It'd be a lot better if the background was a cold color and the foreground was a warm color, like the blues and greens in Sonic 1's first stage.

Posted Image

You can immediately tell what the background is and what the foreground is.

And SPRINGS GALORE!?!?!?!

#8 User is offline Chaud 

Posted 09 August 2015 - 12:16 AM

Oh boy, I'm conflicted on this one. It seems that for every good thing the hack needed a downside. :ohdear:

• Some good art here and there (like the first level), but some bad art coming in the package (Uncharted Tide, and the last boss).
  • There are beautiful levels in there, but also, one of the most horrendous creations ever seen in a hack - the "lights" of Neon Star, what the hell was that, dear god.
  • Some interesting bosses (I love the concept of the first boss), but others extremely underwhelming (again, Uncharted Tide, and the last boss).
  • The levels appear to have multiple paths and are even somewhat lengthy, but... Springs. Springs everywhere. Too much of Dimps in there?

Well... I can see that there was effort, creativity and dedication in the production of this hack, and it makes me want to like it. But I cannot really say that I do.
If they weren't certain not-so-small problems with it...

#9 User is offline iojnekns 

Posted 09 August 2015 - 08:12 AM

• trouble keeps you runnin' faster
  • Wiki edits:14
This is awesome. I'd rather have something rough, ready and released than something that lounges in development hell for 10 years while the creator gets gradually more disinterested in the laborious cycle of bugfixing.

#10 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 09 August 2015 - 08:59 AM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10
Well isn't this something. I'll be testing this on my Genesis later for sure.

#11 User is offline Herm the Germ 

Posted 09 August 2015 - 09:04 AM

• Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor!
  • Project:MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
  • Wiki edits:5
I at least appreciate the love Sonic Chaos' soundtrack is getting from this, so, there's that. :B Doesn't look like something I'd actually wanna play, though...

#12 User is offline Candescence 

Posted 09 August 2015 - 10:24 AM

• Project:3D Indie Stuff
Well, more Blaze is something I'm keen on, so I might check it out.

#13 User is offline Cinossu 

Posted 09 August 2015 - 11:51 AM

• inverted with love~
  • Project:Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
  • Wiki edits:474
There is a lot to be impressed about with this hack; We have overhauled levels, even though it's obvious what levels are based on what. We have new gimmicks in these levels instead of just the same ones again and again. We have new badniks or modifications of existing ones to make them something new. We have new bosses that look like they'd offer a challenge (the later ones, anyway). We have completely new sprites and ideas for moves - changing palette to show spindash charge, a new faster run animation that isn't just the same old peelout, an end pose that isn't just the Sonic CD sprite. We have a new character added that isn't just the normal Tails, Knuckles, etc. import or just a slight palette swap. We have a last level that takes gimmicks from the entire game and puts them to use one final time, to make use of your learning experience through the game itself.

Yes, it's rough around the edges. Yes, it could do with a lot of little things neatening it up. Yes, it's not perfect. But don't go criticising it because it isn't immediately perfect on showing it. Constructive criticism, guys. For example, a lot of the new gimmicks are very jumpy in their movement and use of sprites, especially when it comes to changing the player's position and making the camera jump. You should look into making the transitions between states with use of them smoother, if only to make them seem less jarring to use.

This hack looks great, and it has the potential to be one of the more memorable ones. Once you have everything in that you want start looking at neatening things up, rounding the square corners and such, and it could be amazing.

#14 User is offline Sparks 

Posted 09 August 2015 - 12:41 PM

• Project:Kyle and Lucy: Wonderworld
  • Wiki edits:21
I think the problem with this hack is simply it lacks polish. The foundation is already laid out, and I would love to see them go through the game with proper feedback and improve the game.

I think my main issue is, as said, the heavy reliance on springboards to move the player around the stage (dear God, why??). Some of the stages also lack a good contrast between the foreground and background in terms of palette (mainly Uncharted Tide and Egg Hell).

#15 User is offline MarkeyJester 

Posted 09 August 2015 - 01:35 PM

• The architect of the universe, didn't build a stairway, leading nowhere.
  • Wiki edits:16
I don't have an opinion at the moment as I have not played it yet, but:

View PostFelik, on 08 August 2015 - 01:55 PM, said:

Pana and Brother trouble are great but they are demos and never gonna be released as a finished product BECAUSE they are so technically advanced.

I would like to go on record and state; the reason is because I have to work for a living (as in physically, and not behind some desk sneaking onto IRC, like most others), the "technical" aspect (even though the hacks you refer to are more "polished" than "technical") is irrelevant, and is not the reason for their incompletion. I believe Clownacy was in fact talking about the "polished" aspected ironically enough.

• 5 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users