Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: General Art - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

General Art Discussion & submission of non zone specific art

#16 User is offline Vincent 

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:57 AM

• Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Character Artist
  • Project:Sonic 2 HD
  • Wiki edits:6
At the moment we still need to complete shades testing on items before streamlining any TV animation process. (and so update the Community Project Targets with it)
In the meantime, if you wish to provide further conceptual animations, you're welcome to make those here. wink.png

#17 User is offline Flare 

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:36 AM

• 'Here I come Sonic!'
Maybe it would look better without any glare?

#18 User is offline Vincent 

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:34 AM

A faint glare is a nice HD touch, so even if subtle it should definitely stay.
There will be some instances where the glaring isn't supposed to be present, but if you keep that as a separate layer it will be tested zone by zone. wink.png

#19 User is offline Lapper 

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:18 AM

• Project:Sonic 2 HD, Sonic Maker
  • Wiki edits:111
Lovley, but it needs the glare. With it it looks more like a tv, with the rounded glass.

#20 User is offline Flare 

Posted 08 April 2010 - 03:08 PM

• 'Here I come Sonic!'
I can not get onto the database would you like me to upload things and just send a link to you through PM? I can send a double the 400% psd, and the normal size (400%) as I tend to clean up some of the AA issues with photoshop.

#21 User is offline Vincent 

Posted 08 April 2010 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE (Flare @ Apr 8 2010, 10:08 PM)
I can not get onto the database would you like me to upload things and just send a link to you through PM? I can send a double the 400% psd, and the normal size (400%) as I tend to clean up some of the AA issues with photoshop.
That will be good Flare, waiting for your PM. wink.png

#22 User is offline steveswede 

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:14 PM

• Project:Saerching for Google alternatives
Is there going to be a 2 player mode in the alpha for testing? Also would there be a duel screens for 2 player competition?

#23 User is offline Gambit 

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:14 PM

• Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist
Well we're only shooting to have Sonic, and his extended animations, finished for the alpha, so I'm not sure if we'll have multiplayer available just yet.

#24 User is offline steveswede 

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:20 PM

• Project:Saerching for Google alternatives
QUOTE (Gambit @ Apr 30 2010, 03:14 AM)
Well we're only shooting to have Sonic, and his extended animations, finished for the alpha, so I'm not sure if we'll have multiplayer available just yet.

I'm aware that it's only Sonic. But I'm on about both players to be able to play as Sonic in 2 player.

#25 User is offline Gambit 

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:02 PM

• Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist
Hmm, that is a possibility. It's something we can certainly look into.

#26 User is offline Hamneggs 

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:47 PM

• Official Breakfast of S2HD
  • Project:Networked lighting
As long as it doesn't delay the Alpha.

#27 User is offline wangle 

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:24 AM

the broken monitor could have electric sparks and smoke. (hi btw, still around, you guys seen sonic 4 yet? looks like you may have influenced them after all)

#28 User is offline ancara 

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:34 PM

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2mewehw&s=6

I went and tried my hand at this platform from Mystic Cave Zone. I know it's not likely gonna be used as the final thing, but I guess I was thinking ahead to when this zone's stuff will need to be done, and also wanted to do something to show how I think it could likely go.

I figured that the purple-ish stuff is like mortar(if that's the right word for it), which is that stuff that briclayers use to help keep bricks together nicely with. The stuff near the top is probably excess mortar that's covering part of area under the top bricks. Those green thingies could either be tiny little foliage growing on the platform, or little green bugs(or something like that) that are all over it. Finally, I tried to make the top brick thingy have a sort-of design showing on the side you see(since those pixels made it look like it kinda was a design thingy on it). It makes it look like one of those designer brick things ya can find at Home Club Depot(maybe).

But that's just how I think something like this could work. I am pretty certain that somebody else will likely easily out-do my attempt, but I figure for now that while there's still time, might as well show an idea, a concept(sort-of) of a possible way to do the look of the platform here.

Hopefully you guys appreciate my try at this thing, and I hope that you like my idea for how this particular platform could be made to look.

(and yes, I do like to type out big long posts, thank you very much. v.png )

#29 User is offline MaximusDM 

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:49 PM

• Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist
I think you are being way to precise for something like that. With the dots and grain. Its supposed to be moss growing on bricks and some kind of marble/textured stone. And both of those things have little to no pattern. What you have kind of produced here is rocks with chicken pox. I don't at ALL think that it was supposed to be some kind of design on the top rock slab.
The purple checkers under the slab is shadow. It isn't actual purple lines. In the case of this zone, purple is darkness/shadow.

I don't think you actually got anywhere, it seems you have literally taken pixel squares and made them HD squares.

#30 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:02 PM

• Wiki edits:18
Also, the vertical lines on the sides are not supposed to look like vertical lines, but rather like small gradients. You can take a look at those graphics with an NTSC filter, to see what they were designed to look like.

Perhaps this trick should be noted somewhere, so people will always take it into account? I mean, since all the classic Sonic games used this technique (not as much as the Vectorman games, but still...).
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 20 May 2010 - 01:04 PM

• 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users