• 12 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Music Discussion & submission of remastered audio

#31 User is offline Hamneggs 

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:12 PM

• Official Breakfast of S2HD
  • Project:Networked lighting
QUOTE (RedStripedShoes @ Apr 6 2010, 03:41 PM)
But the brass used in the final part drags it down.

In all honesty they seem to fatten up the lead quite a bit, and give it a bit of a Sam and Dave sound IMO. Plus, isn't this in the room for interpretation and enhancement?

Edit: Oh, final part, you say, not first part. If you mean the last 2 seconds or so, you have a point. That bit is just not in line with the rest of the song.
This post has been edited by Hamneggs: 06 April 2010 - 06:15 PM

#32 User is offline subsubstantive 

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:59 PM

• Wiki edits:2
QUOTE (Mesmonium @ Apr 6 2010, 10:17 AM)
Greetings. I've prepared my Hill Top Zone rendition. Sorry it took so long.

HTZ Remaster
http://www.sendspace.com/file/cz9407

Like it. Not sure what the instument is called, but at around 0:37, you can hear it quiety going "Da nu nu na-Da nu nu na", I think that should be much LOUDER! For me that noise was always a bit of relief and made it more dynamic, sorta like the music was responding to itself... if that makes any sense psyduck.png

Also, I think you could make that noise sound a little echo-y, so maybe it sounds like its coming from the background, it'll make the zone seem more atmospheric. I know these ideas sound a bit stupid, I apologize, but just give it a serious thought, I feel fairly certain about this.
This post has been edited by subsubstantive: 06 April 2010 - 07:10 PM

#33 User is offline Hamneggs 

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:06 PM

• Official Breakfast of S2HD
  • Project:Networked lighting
QUOTE (subsubstantive @ Apr 6 2010, 06:59 PM)
Like it. Not sure what the instument is called, but at around 0:37, you can hear it quiety going "Da nu nu na-Da nu nu na", I think that should be much LOUDER!

Either a banjo or sitar that is, me thinks.

#34 User is offline Drex 

Posted 07 April 2010 - 03:06 AM

• Lazy perfectionist
I believe he's referring to the organ sounding instrument. You can barely hear it in this remaster at all so if you still don't know what I'm referring to you may do better listening for the organ in the original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKUcIaGvSmw

#35 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:48 AM

That's a fantastic Hill Top Zone! Very full of personality and totally enthusiastic and peppy. I'd think a different organ might help, though—preferably one with a bit more vibrato and one that has a more consistent, fuller tone. I might try and search around to find an example of what I mean, but raising the levels and using a bit less reverb would probably help.

Also, it might help if you widened up the chords on the organ. Adding some more notes to the chord in there would definitely keep things from sounding too simple.

#36 User is offline Mesmonium 

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:59 AM

Thanx for all the great feedback! For the most part, I do agree with many of you (such as the organ needs a fuller tone, or the brass is a bit bland near the end). I'm not too sure about my instruments being panned all the way. I never pan ridiculously....probably about halfway but I cant remember. I felt the banjo (doing the da-du-du-dum at 0:37) clashed with the organ and harmonic when I turned it up originally.

To be honest, I dunno wot to change to make it better. We all agree that the brass is not so good, so I have to think of ways to change it. Getting a good list of what should be changed would be great. Im terrible at mixing, levels and all that...definetely a weak point. Couldnt I just give the parts to an audio engineer on the team? wink.png

#37 User is offline steveswede 

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:03 AM

• Project:Bowel reconstruction
  • Wiki edits:6
QUOTE (Mesmonium @ Apr 7 2010, 04:59 PM)
I felt the banjo (doing the da-du-du-dum at 0:37) clashed with the organ and harmonic when I turned it up originally.

To be honest, I dunno wot to change to make it better.

Try using a Harpsichord.

#38 User is offline Mesmonium 

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:30 AM

QUOTE (steveswede @ Apr 7 2010, 05:03 PM)
I felt the banjo (doing the da-du-du-dum at 0:37) clashed with the organ and harmonic when I turned it up originally.

Try using a Harpsichord.

Good idea in terms of texture, but it takes away from the hillbilly-ish style

#39 User is offline steveswede 

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:52 AM

• Project:Bowel reconstruction
  • Wiki edits:6
QUOTE (Mesmonium @ Apr 7 2010, 05:30 PM)
QUOTE (steveswede @ Apr 7 2010, 05:03 PM)

Try using a Harpsichord.

Good idea in terms of texture, but it takes away from the hillbilly-ish style

I had the same issue when I used a banjo on that section. The Harpsichord did give the best overall sound. But it's up to you if you want to try it out on that section. I didn't find anything else that sounded any better. So I couldn't advise on any other instruments.

#40 User is offline scubaSteve 

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:03 PM

• Sonic 2HD - Music Coordinator
I think the reason the brass parts sound unspectacular is because you're using lower brass instruments (trombone and tenor sax) coupled with somewhat soft playing. I would try just increasing the note velocities for the brass parts first, though that would likely make them too loud and obtrusive here. So maybe try replacing the tenor sax with an alto or soprano and maybe even add a trumpet to try to brighten the sound a little. You can always try raising certain parts an octave as well.

Also, regarding the brass part in the last section (where the brass is playing chords with the bass) - if you listen to the original, this part has only one lead instrument playing along with the bass, whereas your arrangement has the whole brass section playing. Making it a solo like the original might serve to add some needed variety to the brass.

Finally, I'm certain your mixing isn't half as bad as you think it is smile.png. However, there is definitely some room for improvement, and I would actually be more than happy to do the final mix if you'd like.

#41 User is offline Leonis 

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:08 AM

So it's time to show why I actually came to Sonic Retro. :X

Hill Top Zone Rendition:
YouTube Version
Downloadable Version

This wasn't really intended to be a submission for Sonic 2 HD, but I decided to submit it as I tried to get it as close as the Genesis version (while using better sound sets) as possible.

I've also done a rendition of the final boss and I am also in the middle of doing one for Mystic Cave, but I'll wait until you tell me what you think of Hill Top first.

Oh and about the format it is in; I can change that if you decide that this will do.
This post has been edited by Leonis: 16 April 2010 - 10:48 AM

#42 User is offline RedStripedShoes 

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:14 PM

• And I'm gone again.
  • Wiki edits:1
QUOTE (Leonis @ Apr 16 2010, 10:08 AM)

Hill Top Zone Rendition:
YouTube Version
Downloadable Version

This wasn't really intended to be a submission for Sonic 2 HD, but I decided to submit it as I tried to get it as close as the Genesis version (while using better sound sets) as possible.

I've also done a rendition of the final boss and I am also in the middle of doing one for Mystic Cave, but I'll wait until you tell me what you think of Hill Top first.

Oh and about the format it is in; I can change that if you decide that this will do.

The saxophone doesn't hold for long enough, the trumpets hold for too long and sound overly synthy, and it overall doesn't compare to the quality of previously approved Hill Top renditions.

EDIT: Sorry, I'm sure you were looking for a warmer greeting than that.

Welcome to Sonic Retro! thumbsup.png
This post has been edited by RedStripedShoes: 16 April 2010 - 12:16 PM

#43 User is offline Leonis 

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:51 PM

QUOTE (RedStripedShoes @ Apr 16 2010, 06:14 PM)
QUOTE (Leonis @ Apr 16 2010, 10:08 AM)

Hill Top Zone Rendition:
YouTube Version
Downloadable Version

The saxophone doesn't hold for long enough, the trumpets hold for too long and sound overly synthy, and it overall doesn't compare to the quality of previously approved Hill Top renditions.

EDIT: Sorry, I'm sure you were looking for a warmer greeting than that.

Welcome to Sonic Retro! thumbsup.png

Don't worry about it, criticsm is very welcome. smile.png

I have to be honest, I wasn't expecting a miracle when I decided to post this submission, so don't worry if you think I would be offended because this is my first post.

Thank you for your honesty.

#44 User is offline Blue Emerald 

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:00 PM

• Teleportation, yeah!
  • Project:Super Mario Bros. - Version 2.0
  • Wiki edits:4
QUOTE (Mesmonium @ Apr 6 2010, 10:17 AM)

Whoa!! You just made the Hill Top theme ten times more enjoyable to listen to (It used to be my least favorite song from Sonic 2)! That harmonica in the main part of the tune just hit the nail on the head, IMO. The percussion really gives this piece more soul, too. I think you should keep that organ, as it feels like an accurate instrument from the original theme, and I really like the wind in the beginning and that faint chime in the background; it gives the piece a sort of Sonic Adventure sound. smile.png

I agree about the brass needing some adjustment, though. When I hear that part in the original Genesis version, I think of acoustic guitar chords being strummed in that section -- try that out, perhaps?

[EDIT] Y'know, I've given it a lot of thought, and no matter how I imagine those guitars playing that brass area of the song, I just don't think guitars would be good for that part after all. Saxophones, however, might be better.
This post has been edited by Blue Emerald: 17 April 2010 - 04:39 PM

#45 User is offline Mesmonium 

Posted 21 April 2010 - 06:37 AM

Thanx a lot for the positive feedback. I will redo the changes within next week as I have a deadline this Friday. smile.png

• 12 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users