Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Music Remastered - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 157 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Music Remastered ***CURRENT GOAL: Hill Top Zone - Boss Theme***

#16 User is offline BlazeHedgehog 

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:08 PM

• A "Community Enigma"?
  • Wiki edits:51

View PostMoogle!, on Apr 24 2008, 06:51 PM, said:

Hey, I just IMed the guy out of the blue.

Seemed realy nice.

Yeah, that's kind of why I said "I got over it". I don't think he was really a jerk, but I was young and stupid and things got out of hand. As I said, we eventually put it aside and we parted on well enough terms.

#17 User is offline Moogle! 

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:16 PM

Bandwidth Exceeded.

#18 User is offline Athelstone 

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:24 PM

Very nice Emerald Hill Tweaker, though I think Cinossu's rendition is currently much more suitable for the project. I think the trumpets and chimes he uses really celebrates the lively nature of the zone whereas the leading instrument you are using has too much of a squishy sounding effect. I also much prefer the drums Cinossu is using as they really give the tune a sense of rapidity. I do not think the background ambience in yours (the choir-like sounds) fits as it sounds to me a little too mystical for this zone.

Thank you very much for doing your rendition though, it is greatly appreciated as I wanted to compare it with Cinossu's as I wasn't sure why it didn't sound perfectly suitable to me. This has greatly helped me get a better sense of a couple of improvements that need to be added to Cinossu's which I shall post momentarily. (Edit: Updated first post of thread with suggestions for Cinossu Emerald Hill)
This post has been edited by Athelstone: 24 April 2008 - 06:44 PM

#19 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:32 PM

Are you serious? His Emerald Hill is extremely plain, has no kick, uses extremely pitchy sounds, and has no personality. I can't get into the beat nor the melody while listening to it, because it has numerous flaws and generic sounds in comparison to the original. I used lots of synthy instruments in order the capture the upbeat feel that the original song had. One deterring flaw I can name out of his rendition right off the bat is the lack of support on the lead, where in the original it used two channels with one an octave above the other.

Shit like this is why I don't like to contribute to public projects. Whenever I capture the soul of a song, it's apparently not good enough because it doesn't have a orchestral masterpiece for a lead instrument.

#20 User is offline Athelstone 

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:36 PM

Just to clarify, Cinossu's version is the one I'm listening to that he has hosted here;
http://blazemp3.sepwich.com/sonic2remaster...rald%20Hill.mp3

Shit like this is why I don't like to contribute to public projects. Whenever I capture the soul of a song, it's apparently not good enough because it doesn't have a orchestral masterpiece for a lead instrument.

This issue needs further feedback from the community, but your services are most definitely needed and valued for this project.
This post has been edited by Athelstone: 24 April 2008 - 06:37 PM

#21 User is offline muteKi 

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:42 PM

• Fuck it
  • Wiki edits:91
Can I get a mirror of Tweaker's EHZ?

#22 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:49 PM

I'm uploading all my songs pertaining to this project to the Retro server as we speak. I'll edit this post with links when it's done.

Here they are:
http://music.sonicretro.org/Sonic%202%20H...20Hill%202P.mp3
http://music.sonicretro.org/Sonic%202%20H...rald%20Hill.mp3
http://music.sonicretro.org/Sonic%202%20H...lace%20Zone.mp3
http://music.sonicretro.org/Sonic%202%20H...0Top%20Zone.mp3
http://music.sonicretro.org/Sonic%202%20H...olis%20Zone.mp3
http://music.sonicretro.org/Sonic%202%20H...20Cave%202P.mp3
http://music.sonicretro.org/Sonic%202%20H...cean%20Zone.mp3
http://music.sonicretro.org/Sonic%202%20H...inal%20Boss.mp3
http://music.sonicretro.org/Sonic%202%20H...ress%20Zone.mp3

#23 User is offline Athelstone 

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:52 PM

Just to clarify, I am not completely dismissing your rendition Tweaker, although in my opinion there are some improvements that ought to be made for it to be truly 10 out of 10. The most important thing I think would be trumpets perhaps as the foremost sound, or something more lively and uplifting.
This post has been edited by Athelstone: 24 April 2008 - 06:59 PM

#24 User is offline Cinossu 

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:54 PM

• inverted with love~
  • Project:Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
  • Wiki edits:474

View PostTweaker, on Apr 25 2008, 12:32 AM, said:

Are you serious? His Emerald Hill is extremely plain, has no kick, uses extremely pitchy sounds, and has no personality. I can't get into the beat nor the melody while listening to it, because it has numerous flaws and generic sounds in comparison to the original. I used lots of synthy instruments in order the capture the upbeat feel that the original song had. One deterring flaw I can name out of his rendition right off the bat is the lack of support on the lead, where in the original it used two channels with one an octave above the other.

:U I love critisism on my stuff. In all serious though, I agree with it 100%, I thought it was relatively good at the time, but listening to it again after Blaze posted it, it's a load of bollocks. Don't use it.

View PostTweaker, on Apr 25 2008, 12:32 AM, said:

Do stop with the orchestral masterpieces. It's getting very annoying reading it again and again and again and again and again.. and "capture the soul of a song"? Christ man, you need to stop watching anime. *runs*

#25 User is offline Athelstone 

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:57 PM

:U I love critisism on my stuff. In all serious though, I agree with it 100%, I thought it was relatively good at the time, but listening to it again after Blaze posted it, it's a load of bollocks. Don't use it.

Very well, I shall remove your rendition Cinossu from the chosen list of music since you yourself are dismissing it.
This post has been edited by Athelstone: 24 April 2008 - 07:11 PM

#26 User is offline DarkeSword 

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:17 PM

Hi everyone. Tweaker asked me to contribute to this project. Seems pretty cool, so I figured I'd toss my hat into the ring (haha get it...ring? eh heh...heh... :( ).

Those of you that know my music know that I tend to arrange a lot more, but I'm pretty sure I can swing some more conservative arrangements.

In any case, I was wondering what the consensus was on using a modified version of my Sonic 2 special stage remix. I can add a fanfare, pull out the 2P Results theme, and generally tweak it so that it's more or less just "special stage" music.

Thoughts?

#27 User is offline BlazeHedgehog 

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:18 PM

• A "Community Enigma"?
  • Wiki edits:51
Tweaker's rendition is quite good. But I don't know... The music people are producing for this project straddle the line between remix and remastering; at the same time it sounds too new and too old. This goes for a lot of music people have produced for this project; finding the perfect balance is difficult to the point of nearly being impossible.

What you've done is good. Obviously, you are going to be more biased towards your own music, but I wonder if it can't be a little bit better - the tough part is, I don't actually know how to make it better; if anything, all I know is how to make it different.

What matters is that we do the best of our own abilities. Arguing musical preference is most likely a battle that cannot be won. What would probably be best for this project regarding music is everybody pool together their own mixes of each song in the game and then a vote taken for the cream of the crop.

Think of it like the Music Battle topic in the Fanart subforum, but we do the entire Sonic 2 OST.

#28 User is offline Moogle! 

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:33 PM

View PostDarkeSword, on Apr 24 2008, 08:17 PM, said:

Hi everyone. Tweaker asked me to contribute to this project. Seems pretty cool, so I figured I'd toss my hat into the ring (haha get it...ring? eh heh...heh... :( ).

Those of you that know my music know that I tend to arrange a lot more, but I'm pretty sure I can swing some more conservative arrangements.

In any case, I was wondering what the consensus was on using a modified version of my Sonic 2 special stage remix. I can add a fanfare, pull out the 2P Results theme, and generally tweak it so that it's more or less just "special stage" music.

Thoughts?

NO, NO OVERR----Err, I mean, sounds great. Just don't arrange it too much. :(

#29 User is offline Blue Streak 

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:43 PM

• Wiki edits:6

View PostDarkeSword, on Apr 24 2008, 08:17 PM, said:

Thoughts?

I think that sounds awesome, particularly the strings in the background and the arpeggios. You really make the interplay between the D Major and C Major chords seem magical to me. However, I think it's arranged too much for what we want here. :P

#30 User is offline muteKi 

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:45 PM

• Fuck it
  • Wiki edits:91
I'm working on a version of the EHZ 2P music now. I like that song a lot.

• 157 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users