Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Concept Art & Mockups - Aquatic Ruin Mockups Needed!! - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 93 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Concept Art & Mockups - Aquatic Ruin Mockups Needed!! Share & discuss all concept art and project mockups

#16 User is offline Sik 

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:49 PM

• Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick".
  • Project:being an asshole =P
  • Wiki edits:11

View PostSik the hedgehog, on Mar 13 2008, 07:57 PM, said:

Er, I don't think it'll be needed to redraw stuff from scratch completely ignoring the old graphics... I would scale them up, and then take them as a base for the new graphics. And the problem here is that you're doing quick works. Unless somebody really puts effort in it, we won't see any good graphics.

And that Sonic proves what I was talking about.

#17 User is offline Tadashi 

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:57 PM

ICEknight, this is beatiful and suits the game style perfectly. I agree with you that the most important thing about HD versions would be to retain the original art style. Also, we need to keep the original palettes as well. For example, how are you gonna make Super Sonic with 32bit graphics? He flashes *randomly*, it's impossible to premade his every color change.

Vangar, no offense, but you don't really know what are you doing, it seems. Looks terrible, the 2xSAI filter does a better job.

#18 User is offline djdocsonic 

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:03 PM

• Testing YOUR Hacks Since 2005...
  • Project:Looking for a Rom Hack to Test.
Good work IceKnight, This will be excellent if you can pull it off.... will take some doing though id imagine.

#19 User is online Dark Sonic 

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:03 PM

• Project:Sonic Lost World: Nonexistent Six/Fixed Edition; Sonic Genesis Adventure (Let's see how long this lasts :V)
  • Wiki edits:10
QUOTE (ICEknight @ Mar 13 2008, 03:30 PM) [post="183945"]Posted Image
This Sonic was first made at 4x with the original colors, then shrunk to 2x (which makes it look better than plain 4x). Resizing it back to normal 1x size makes it look almost exactly the same as the original.[/quote]
Wow anyway you can do that with the whole game (Sonic 3 and Knuckles too)?
This post has been edited by Dark Sonic: 13 March 2008 - 07:04 PM

#20 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:34 PM

• Wiki edits:18
Guys... I was just trying to prove that it's possible to do this HD stuff while retaining the style and even the original palette, with a bit of dedication... But I didn't mean I was gonna do a whole Sonic spritesheet, sorry if that's what it seemed. =|

#21 User is offline Yarharhar 

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:38 PM

A couple notes on the emu-mod:
The sprites are sized up 4x - this means you need a good video card because I had to move the vdp to pixel-shaders (Trying to do 16x the amount of rasterization work on cpu is an insane idea).

Second - Yuski has the right idea here. Look at what capcom is doing for SSFT2HD, and use the sonic 2 concept art as a source. It is far more detailed than what pixel-art would allow for. This is the entire reason for going to these high-res sprites. You can add detail and colors and such that just weren't possible on the old hardware.

Another example is actually the large-scale logo for sonic-retro.

If you want it to look the same scaled down, just play the original game. If you want a smoothed out look, just use one of the 2xsai type filters because it's going to be far easier and run better that way.

People's jaws aren't going to drop if you just make the graphics look a little less pixely or whatever. Overhaul the hell out of them or it's not worth it.
I have a sketch at home of the sonic standing sprite HD-ified. I'll post it here when I get a chance - it's faithful to the old art style, to the concept art, and takes advantage of HD graphics.
This post has been edited by Yarharhar: 13 March 2008 - 08:27 PM

#22 User is offline Vangar 

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:17 PM

• Wiki edits:2

View PostTadashi, on Mar 14 2008, 10:57 AM, said:

ICEknight, this is beatiful and suits the game style perfectly. I agree with you that the most important thing about HD versions would be to retain the original art style. Also, we need to keep the original palettes as well. For example, how are you gonna make Super Sonic with 32bit graphics? He flashes *randomly*, it's impossible to premade his every color change.

Vangar, no offense, but you don't really know what are you doing, it seems. Looks terrible, the 2xSAI filter does a better job.

Im going to retry with cleaner tools to draw the graphics. I'd prefer you'd give me advice on how to make it better, then how terrible it is, thanks.

#23 User is offline JoseTB 

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:38 PM

• Wiki edits:4
To tell the truth,

QUOTE (Vangar @ Mar 13 2008, 01:09 PM) [post="183876"]Posted Image[/quote]

I like the palmtree there; it's not *perfect*, but it isn't a bad start either. Regarding the badnik, try not to use the the same line width you would get by direct resizing, see ICEknight example to get the idea. That alone should make an improvement, but it pretty much involves a complete redraw.

#24 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:44 PM

Eh... It seems very shoddily done to me, like you just overblurred the original images. It shows a severe lack of effort, and to a degree, skill. Redrawing the whole thing pixel-by-pixel isn't quite necessary, but you SHOULD trace and recolor each and every sprite, in a similar fashion to SFII HD Remix's sprites—the difference will really show.

#25 User is offline Jeztac 

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:58 PM

• Project:Sonic R-DX
  • Wiki edits:2
The palmtree looks pretty good, but the badnik's shading looks somewhat messy, and the grass just looks like you used the smudge tool in photoshop.
Nonetheless this is a very interesting idea and I hope it succeeds.
This post has been edited by jeztac: 13 March 2008 - 10:26 PM

#26 User is online Dark Sonic 

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:22 PM

• Project:Sonic Lost World: Nonexistent Six/Fixed Edition; Sonic Genesis Adventure (Let's see how long this lasts :V)
  • Wiki edits:10

View PostICEknight, on Mar 13 2008, 04:34 PM, said:

Guys... I was just trying to prove that it's possible to do this HD stuff while retaining the style and even the original palette, with a bit of dedication... But I didn't mean I was gonna do a whole Sonic spritesheet, sorry if that's what it seemed. =|

Ah, you see I thought that was the start of some kinda hack you were working on (Or emulator, I don't know). My mistake.

#27 User is offline Bit-Blade 

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:55 PM

• Project:Risonic
Posted Image

Erm, sorry ICEKnight, but seeing the smudge-monkey made me want to do a quick edit of the Coconuts in your example.

I'm not too happy with the result but you get where that's going. You have a large amount of work in-store for you if this is what you want to do, Vangar.

#28 User is offline Yarharhar 

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:56 AM

Summary of art in this thread:

Posted Image
Sonic Standing by Vincent

Posted Image
Sonic Running by Vincent

Posted Image
Super Sonic by Vincent

Posted Image
First Possible Tails Style by Vincent

Posted Image
Second Possible Tails Style by Vincent

Posted Image
Knuckles by SillyJonna

Posted Image
Robotnik by Vincent

Edited by Blue Streak

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First, to whoever edits graphics for these things: Do whatever style tickles your fancy. If you want a more painter like effect, go for it, I'm sure it will look cool. Just keep in mind that if you are going to do HD graphics, don't give yourself the limitation that it has to look right scaled down. If people want to play the game with scaled down graphics, they'll play the original. If they're playing in HD, they want an HD experience.

Anyways, here is my method for HDifying an image. This wasn't put into the emu engine, although I'd do something similar for that (on that note, I've changed my mind and am going to have people use the image editor of their choice to modify graphics, I have a good idea of how to implement that functionality now. I should be doing a source drop sometime on Sunday).

Posted Image
This post has been edited by Blue Streak: 28 April 2008 - 11:13 AM

#29 User is offline Vincent 

Posted 14 March 2008 - 05:20 AM

• Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Character Artist
  • Project:Sonic 2 HD
  • Wiki edits:6
I couldn't resist.

Posted Image

Great example Yarharhar.

#30 User is offline PsychoSk8r 

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:15 AM

• HighKnights
  • Project:30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
  • Wiki edits:19
Hahaha, oh wow. Vincent would be fucking awesome as a HD Sprite Artist
Seriously, I love that image, it's fucking perfect =P

EDIT: Whoops, the big-ass image by yarharhar didnt show when I posted this. Sorry =3
This post has been edited by PsychoSk8r: 14 March 2008 - 01:20 PM

• 93 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users