Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: General Project Thread & Feedback - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 141 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

General Project Thread & Feedback Discuss ideas or issues not pertaining to specific threads.

#31 User is online ICEknight 

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:47 AM

• Wiki edits:18
This is pretty amazing, but the new graphics should be made based on how they were supposed to look on real TVs, not based on the plain unfiltered pixel art. For example, the leafs in those palmtrees were really supposed to look transparent and holographic-like, while the new graphics don't show that.

Also, the "painting" look is quite interesting, but somebody should try drawing graphics in the style from the manuals, with more angular and polygon-like graphics for the backgrounds.

I can't say I like those monkeys, by the way. =\
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 13 March 2008 - 09:50 AM

#32 User is offline 87th 

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:21 AM

• FOX HOUNDER
The phrase "Sonic HD" brings up images of the Sonic Screensaver sprite-sheets, personally. (I know you couldn't find much use for these in a game, but I'd love to see a game with this art style)
http://www.themysticalforestzone.com/sprit...averpics0ov.png
http://www.themysticalforestzone.com/sprit...knuckles5mv.png

#33 User is offline Sik 

Posted 13 March 2008 - 01:04 PM

• Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick".
  • Project:being an asshole =P
  • Wiki edits:11

View Post87th, on Mar 13 2008, 01:21 PM, said:

The phrase "Sonic HD" brings up images of the Sonic Screensaver sprite-sheets, personally. (I know you couldn't find much use for these in a game, but I'd love to see a game with this art style)
http://www.themysticalforestzone.com/sprit...averpics0ov.png
http://www.themysticalforestzone.com/sprit...knuckles5mv.png

Good, I wanted those sprites! (sidenote: I know there's an even bigger spritesheet of Sonic)

By the way, what's wrong with the palmtree? I know it doesn't look transparent, but I like it, in fact it looks more like a real plant that way :P Maybe we shouldn't stick so much with the original ideas and try to make things look a lot better. In fact probably backgrounds should be different. Why? Because Sega was limited by the fact they could use only one scroll. But we don't have that limit. If back then they didn't have it too, they would have choosen a different path too.

#34 User is offline PsychoSk8r 

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:20 PM

• HighKnights
  • Project:30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
  • Wiki edits:19
Good to see that people are throwing ideas into this.
Yuski, it's good but sonic looks like he has a bit of a receded chin =P
ICEknight, you're style's pretty good, IMO, a mixture of yours/yuski's would be great.

#35 User is offline Hivebrain 

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:48 AM

• Project:HivePal 2.0
  • Wiki edits:6,176
I just remembered something:

Posted Image

I made that for the Shield page. It looks nearly the same as the original when resized to 30x30 pixels.

#36 User is offline Rika Chou 

Posted 14 March 2008 - 01:44 AM

• Adopt
  • Wiki edits:4
You know, I really don't think that modding an emulator is the way to go for this. Wouldn't you still be restriced by mappings and number of art tiles?

Wouldn't it be better to use the dissasembly and port the game to windows or something? (I know that before Lost vanished that he was working on porting S1 to windows...but I don't remember how far he got.) That way you could have much more options. It's really a good idea though, I was hoping Sega would make something like this when they announced the "HD" version of Sonic for XBL.

#37 User is offline LocalH 

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:08 AM

• roxoring your soxors
  • Project:Guitar Hero II: Rhythm Games Community Edition aka Pizza Hero II: Electric Pizza
  • Wiki edits:3
One snag with that - any engine peculiarities that come from the hardware itself or the fact that the game uses 68000 ASM would have to be specialcased for a truly authentic port. On the other hand, if you mod an emulator to do this, then you're 100% exact to the original game except for the graphics.

#38 User is offline Yarharhar 

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:43 AM

View Postrika_chou, on Mar 13 2008, 11:44 PM, said:

You know, I really don't think that modding an emulator is the way to go for this. Wouldn't you still be restriced by mappings and number of art tiles?

Yes and no -
16-bit games are sort of the sweet-spot where mappings were unique enough (as opposed to the 8-bit days where mappings were abused severly).
Also, this technique bypasses the compression that games like sonic 3/sonic and knuckles used where parts of a tile were used in many tiles. This technique treats each tile it finds in vram as a unique entity.
With a tiny bit of modification, it could also treat tiles that were flipped horizontally, vertically, and both as unique tiles(I would not recommend this, it would triple the memory requirements again).

#39 User is offline JoseTB 

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:27 AM

• Wiki edits:4

View Postrika_chou, on Mar 14 2008, 07:44 AM, said:

Wouldn't it be better to use the dissasembly and port the game to windows or something? (I know that before Lost vanished that he was working on porting S1 to windows...but I don't remember how far he got.)

Something like that can easily take months... Maybe Pseudo-emulation (sonic jam style) could take less time, but I wouldn't go for that to be honest... On the other hand, I can tell you LOst wasn't the only one working on such thing ;)

View PostYarharhar, on Mar 14 2008, 10:56 AM, said:

<huge HD image>

I must say, that looks completely wonderful to say the least. I see some talent there.

#40 User is offline P.P.A. 

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:42 AM

• SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER
  • Project:Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
  • Wiki edits:21
I don't have much to add to the discussion, but here be the Sonic CD (Windows 95 version) OMAKE folder, which seems to be quite relevant.

#41 User is online ICEknight 

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:54 PM

• Wiki edits:18
By the way, if somebody is willing to make the HD graphics for Sonic 1, please make his arm detachable so the body can be used for Sonic Crackers too. =P
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 14 March 2008 - 06:54 PM

#42 User is offline Shoemanbundy 

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:46 PM

• Project:selling shoes
  • Wiki edits:1
Is this going to be specifically for Sonic 2 only? Or can it do anything through Gens?

#43 User is offline Jeztac 

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:36 PM

• Project:Sonic R-DX
  • Wiki edits:2
Well if its anything like Rice's video plugin for Project 64 It'll work on all Genesis roms.

#44 User is online Dark Sonic 

Posted 14 March 2008 - 10:16 PM

• Project:Sonic Lost World: Nonexistent Six/Fixed Edition; Sonic Genesis Adventure (Let's see how long this lasts :V)
  • Wiki edits:10

View Postjeztac, on Mar 14 2008, 06:36 PM, said:

Well if its anything like Rice's video plugin for Project 64 It'll work on all Genesis roms.

There's a plugin that makes the N64 games look better on that emulator? Any link?

#45 User is offline Delta 

Posted 14 March 2008 - 11:32 PM

• Wiki edits:47

View PostDark Sonic, on Mar 14 2008, 08:16 PM, said:

View Postjeztac, on Mar 14 2008, 06:36 PM, said:

There's a plugin that makes the N64 games look better on that emulator? Any link?

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Rice_Video
All the info you need. And it doesn't have to be PJ64; it probably also works on any reasonably modern N64 emulator (like 1964).

On-topic: Can't wait to see how well Sonic 2 HD works out. I always thought Genesis emulators were unlikely to include hi-res graphic replacement due to how the console works, since it doesn't work with individual 'textures' like in 3D graphics.

• 141 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users