Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic CD You Say! - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Sonic CD You Say!

#16 User is offline Master Emerald 

Posted 27 September 2018 - 05:33 AM

• Project:-
  • Wiki edits:22
That 'you say' thing is the end of level signpost. I'm searching through the wiki and there are other shots of this build (around February 93) and they show smaller signposts with Future, Past and Present written on them, like the final.

#17 User is offline High Fidelity 

Posted 27 September 2018 - 06:01 AM

Nice find!

Could have been a case of the mag thinking 'well need to show time travel somehow' and messing with colours. But still, this is great, that signpost. Hopefully more will be uncovered!

#18 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 27 September 2018 - 02:50 PM

• It's sometimes the real thing™
  • Project:New Coke wasn't sold in the UK
  • Wiki edits:20,569

View PostDark Sonic, on 24 September 2018 - 01:19 PM, said:

But also, blue arms Toei Sonic and that time transition screen looks very different from what we ended up seeing.

And then I ruined it:

Posted Image

:specialed:/>

The next frame has blue arms too. But here's a fun fact - they're correct in the original version seen in Sonic Jam and later ports.

#19 User is offline Shalpp 

Posted 27 September 2018 - 09:32 PM

• WHAT A HIT -- HE'LL REMEMBER THAT NUMBER
  • Project:some sonic cd video for a channel that's not gonna kick off lmfao
Those scans look like they come from the build with a more consistent Palmtree Panic present (the one with the level layout that resembles the other time zones).
God I hope for a miracle find of that build sometime.

#20 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 30 September 2018 - 10:10 AM

The clearest screenshot found yet:
Posted Image

https://retrocdn.net...-02.pdf&page=82

It was a bit difficult to tell before, but I think this confirms that once upon a time, there were wobbly sticks sticking out of Palmtree Panic.

This is a really early build - this is the February 1993 issue of Mega Drive Fan. At more than seven months before release, we're talking similar timespans to the Sonic 2 Nick Arcade build and final game.
This post has been edited by Black Squirrel: 30 September 2018 - 10:11 AM

#21 User is offline Master Emerald 

Posted 30 September 2018 - 02:48 PM

• Project:-
  • Wiki edits:22
These are still on Final PPz, just on the past version.

#22 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 30 September 2018 - 03:36 PM

View PostMaster Emerald, on 30 September 2018 - 02:48 PM, said:

Better than that - they're in every time zone except the present. And there's only like, three(?) of them on act 2 and extremely easy to miss. Case in point: I had missed them.

Gut instinct is Sega must have programmed these in early (they're one of the first objects selectable in debug mode), realised they're a bit pointless when you have springs, and began removing them when the layout was changed. The final game forces Sonic into a ball when they're used - that screenshot is consistent with the 510 prototype, which doesn't. There's also no sound attached, which seems a bit of an oversight.

#23 User is offline Diablohead 

Posted 30 September 2018 - 04:04 PM

• Indie dev
  • Project:games
  • Wiki edits:16
Are those bouncy sticks in the 2011 version? I feel like I've been told of them long ago but yeah, it's an object I never run across when I play CD, ever.

#24 User is offline SonicGenesis89 

Posted 30 September 2018 - 04:40 PM

• Cool! Sweet! And Catchy!

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 30 September 2018 - 10:10 AM, said:

The clearest screenshot found yet:
Posted Image

https://retrocdn.net...-02.pdf&page=82

It was a bit difficult to tell before, but I think this confirms that once upon a time, there were wobbly sticks sticking out of Palmtree Panic.

This is a really early build - this is the February 1993 issue of Mega Drive Fan. At more than seven months before release, we're talking similar timespans to the Sonic 2 Nick Arcade build and final game.

Those "wobbly sticks" are still in the final build of the original game but are only found in the Past, Good Future, and Bad Future versions of Palmtree Panic and are more prevalent in Act 2. :) This is the build of Sonic CD that I am the most interested in and really wish that we can find. This may be the build that still has R2 in it as well. I think that this is the same build that also has the Palmtree Panic enemies in Collision Chaos, the weird different sparkles around Sonic when he's about to travel through time, the different color palette for Collision Chaos Bad Future, and possibly even the early removed Pinball Special Stage! I think that this build is possibly 2 or 3 months earlier than the 510 Beta that we currently have and it's filled with all kinds of great stuff! I really hope that we can find even more interesting things about this build of Sonic CD or even better yet actually find and obtain the actual build itself! :) I wonder if there was ever any mock up screenshots or prototype screenshots of R2 published in any early magazine coverage? I'd do anything just to see what the stage actually looked like. Even if it is just some concept art or a mock up screenshot of it I'll be happy.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

EDIT: Whoops! I had this tab open for a while and didn't realize that people had already responded! XD

View PostDiablohead, on 30 September 2018 - 04:04 PM, said:

Are those bouncy sticks in the 2011 version? I feel like I've been told of them long ago but yeah, it's an object I never run across when I play CD, ever.

They are found in the original vanilla Mega CD version of the game as well as the 2011 port version of the game. I'm really surprised that nobody has ever really noticed these things. I always come across them in my playthroughs. Then again, I do play Sonic CD a lot so that could also be why lol. They kind of act like springs do but are a little different. When you first bounce on them your bounce is low but the longer you jump on them the higher you will start to go. They can actually propel you really high into the air if you bounce on them long enough.

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 30 September 2018 - 03:36 PM, said:

View PostMaster Emerald, on 30 September 2018 - 02:48 PM, said:

Better than that - they're in every time zone except the present. And there's only like, three(?) of them on act 2 and extremely easy to miss. Case in point: I had missed them.

Gut instinct is Sega must have programmed these in early (they're one of the first objects selectable in debug mode), realised they're a bit pointless when you have springs, and began removing them when the layout was changed. The final game forces Sonic into a ball when they're used - that screenshot is consistent with the 510 prototype, which doesn't. There's also no sound attached, which seems a bit of an oversight.

I don't think that they are completely pointless since they don't act exactly the same as springs do. I like them and think that they are an interesting gimmick even if they are kind of similar to how springs work.
This post has been edited by SonicGenesis89: 30 September 2018 - 05:14 PM

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users