Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Time Twisted Released - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 7 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sonic Time Twisted Released A Big Complete Classic Sonic Fan Game : )

#91 User is offline Hez 

Posted 21 August 2017 - 02:12 PM

• Asshole
  • Project:Your mother
  • Wiki edits:27

View PostEpsilonsama, on 21 August 2017 - 01:43 AM, said:

View PostOverbound, on 23 July 2017 - 10:39 AM, said:

Thank you both. Its really great to here you placing the game along side the Genesis games. While I don't think its quite as good for many reasons, I really hoped that some fans would place the game along side the classes. Apparently I have succeeded and I am very grateful to the community for their acceptance of the game.

In other news, I've gotten several comments mentioning that the Time Twisted special stages seemed similar to Mania. Unless they made the Special Stages after March its probably just a coincidence though, being based off the same games. But I will still take the opportunity to show off some Special Stage Beta Footage as they went through a lot of changes.

I certainly don't think anyone copy anyone here, this is just the case of independent individuals taking inspiration from the same source.

Not to bash anybody's creativity, but I think this style of special stage is extremely common. I have a similar one in Classic 2, that keeps morphing. Its almost like the natural progression is basically close to Mania's.

#92 User is online winterhell 

Posted 21 August 2017 - 03:01 PM

To me it looks inspired by CD's and perhaps Chaotix's special stages.
This post has been edited by winterhell: 21 August 2017 - 03:02 PM

#93 User is offline logandoggo 

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:10 PM

This game is like the love child of Sonic CD and Sonic 3. The art and music gives off a funky Sonic CD vibe, and the whole time travel mechanic is really nice too. I always liked it in Sonic CD so to see a fan game use it is awesome.
The level design, as well as the sprites and a few other things reminds me of Sonic 3 too.
Good job, guys.

#94 User is offline Aerosol 

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:17 AM

• FML and FU2
  • Project:Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?

View PostHez, on 21 August 2017 - 02:12 PM, said:

View PostEpsilonsama, on 21 August 2017 - 01:43 AM, said:

View PostOverbound, on 23 July 2017 - 10:39 AM, said:

Thank you both. Its really great to here you placing the game along side the Genesis games. While I don't think its quite as good for many reasons, I really hoped that some fans would place the game along side the classes. Apparently I have succeeded and I am very grateful to the community for their acceptance of the game.

In other news, I've gotten several comments mentioning that the Time Twisted special stages seemed similar to Mania. Unless they made the Special Stages after March its probably just a coincidence though, being based off the same games. But I will still take the opportunity to show off some Special Stage Beta Footage as they went through a lot of changes.

I certainly don't think anyone copy anyone here, this is just the case of independent individuals taking inspiration from the same source.

Not to bash anybody's creativity, but I think this style of special stage is extremely common. I have a similar one in Classic 2, that keeps morphing. Its almost like the natural progression is basically close to Mania's.

Yea, it's not a big deal. Sonic CD's special stages kinda have a few different ways you can play with the formula for slightly different challenges. I've always been partial to Sonic Advance 2's special stage though, with an imaginary version of Sonic Heroes' special stages that aren't broken fucks being a close second.

#95 User is offline NeonZephyr 

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:35 AM

I'm having trouble getting the game to launch on my laptop. It loaded and ran fine when I tested on my desktop, but I tend to use my laptop for fangames. I checked the DirectX installer, and it said that I have the indicated version or newer.

I don't get any particular error, just a generic windows one.

http://imgur.com/a/7NMT7

Am I doing something thickheaded?

Both computers are Win10. My laptop has 16GB RAM so I doubt that its a memory issue.

(What I saw when testing it on my desktop looked great though!! Very nice pixel work, controls felt good so far too.)

#96 User is offline Arcaden 

Posted 24 August 2017 - 12:52 PM

• Project:Sonic AMV: Boss - Big Arms
You've really done a fantastic job with this fangame, Overbound. It's been awhile since I played it but I don't remember encountering many bugs and the whole experience was really great. I love that you incorporated the CD style time travelling but made it much easier to time travel, I always hated keeping speed up long enough to time travel in Sonic CD to the point where I didn't even bother doing it. I know personally that it can be hard to dedicate yourself to one project and actually finish it so congratulations for completing the project and making it so enjoyable!

#97 User is offline 360 

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:15 PM

• Daft Punk Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon
I've posted some lengthy impressions but just to reiterate this is one of the best Sonic fangames of all-time. Thousands of hours of love and work.

Everyone check it out if you're yet to play it. It's in the upper echelon of Sonic fangames along with Sonic Axiom, Sonic ATS, Sonic XG and so on. Game is awesome.

#98 User is offline The Game Collector 

Posted 25 August 2017 - 01:18 AM

• Project:Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
I have 100% completed the game with all three characters now. I thought Sonic was the easiest to use and Knuckles was the hardest to use due to his limited jump height. It made the final boss a real pain for him. It wasn't impossible though so I recommend him for players seeking more of a challenge. He is able to get stuck in places in walls if he climbs up the wrong ones. Tails flies up very high very fast if you press two jump buttons at once from a standing position. Oh and I found a cool easter egg using Tails in the last level. It is hidden in a wall with a 1up. Try flying into walls when you can and you might stumble upon it.

One thing I do wish would have happened was the Special stage rings would respawn in all places after completing the game like they do in Sonic 3. I don't know if getting them all and still not succeeding makes them all reappear or what triggers that. So if you find the special stages difficult you should wait until you stock up on plenty of lives before using up the big rings because I don't know if there is any way to make them come back.

Even after trying Sonic Mania, I applaud this game for using all original zones instead of reusing old ones. In Mania I think the re-used levels are cool from the gradual transition to new sections of the zones, but I feel that if it ever gets a sequel hopefully it will have a higher percentage of new zones or be completely made of new zones.

Graphically, Sonic Time Twisted is closer to Sonic CD while Sonic Mania looks like a newer generation game.

Sonic Time Twisted does not run smoothly on my 1GHz laptop with Radeon HD Graphics and 4GB RAM, but it works well on my other one with 2.70GHz, Radeon HD Graphics and 6GB RAM. The alternate gamepad method does work with a Logitech gamepad, but it won't allow mapping to the buttons where start and select would normally go so I use space bar to start/pause my game and use the game pad for everything else.

#99 User is offline Whimsicott 

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:39 AM

While I find the plot to be rather dark for the normally lighthearted Classic Sonic, the gameplay is fantastic and I loved the blend of mechanics between Sonic CD and Sonic 3 & Knuckles. I do wish there was more of a purpose for the time travel mechanic (even though there are different gimmicks for past and present), but it was still well implemented and fun to play around with. Finally, the zone ideas are all original and the colors are very vibrant. I LOVED Viridian Valley's aesthetics, both past and present especially, and their level gimmicks were basic but very fun. Then again, even the scrapped zones from older versions were intriguing, Deport Drive and its industrial park feel especially.

Overall, wonderful experience the whole way through

#100 User is offline Master Emerald 

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:59 PM

• Project:College
  • Wiki edits:22
Just played this and I feel the game has a lot of Edges to trim design and sound-wise, but it feels really original. Frigid Fortress song, for example. is like a Mania-level composition for me! The rest are really catchy but they're really badly mixed for my taste (seriously, why apply a harsh compression on the drums?).
This post has been edited by Master Emerald: 27 August 2017 - 11:59 PM

#101 User is offline Hinchy 

Posted 29 August 2017 - 01:18 PM

• Up And Down And All Around
  • Project:high quality video game rips
  • Wiki edits:32

View PostMaster Emerald, on 27 August 2017 - 11:59 PM, said:

The rest are really catchy but they're really badly mixed for my taste (seriously, why apply a harsh compression on the drums?).

I can assure you none of it's mixed poorly on purpose. I'm shit at mixing though. It's what I'm going to work on improving next.

• 7 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users