Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Random Hack/Mini Project Thread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 48 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Random Hack/Mini Project Thread

#556 User is offline Varion Icaria 

Posted 25 December 2013 - 09:58 PM

• He's waiting....
  • Project:S4: Cybernetic Outbreak
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostKnucklez, on 25 December 2013 - 06:43 PM, said:

View PostVarion Icaria, on 25 December 2013 - 02:48 PM, said:

Posted Image

Since it's Christmas I'm feeling the time of giving a sneak peak of something long overdo for it's first release.

Nooo... how soon? :v:/>

Few more months. Maybe in time for the contest :P

#557 User is offline KingofHarts 

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:52 PM

• Project:Sonic 1 Complete
  • Wiki edits:1
Color me interested

#558 User is offline MarkeyJester 

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:55 PM

• The architect of the universe, didn't build a stairway, leading nowhere.
  • Wiki edits:16
So, we know what it's like for Sonic to be drunk on rings. We know what it's like for Sonic to be high on rings. This one was difficult to decide, so this time, you'll find out what it's like for Sonic to be filled in with lead by the rings.

Sonic 1 The Ring Ride 3

Go on, give it a go!

#559 User is offline Pigeon 

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:22 PM

• Project:Nothing really

View PostMarkeyJester, on 01 February 2014 - 05:55 PM, said:

So, we know what it's like for Sonic to be drunk on rings. We know what it's like for Sonic to be high on rings. This one was difficult to decide, so this time, you'll find out what it's like for Sonic to be filled in with lead by the rings.

Sonic 1 The Ring Ride 3

Go on, give it a go!

Well, I wasn't expecting THAT when I downloaded it! I didn't even know Sonic 1 was capable of that sort of graphical effect! How many more Ring Rides are there going to be?!

#560 User is offline MarkeyJester 

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:57 PM

• The architect of the universe, didn't build a stairway, leading nowhere.
  • Wiki edits:16
I am not really sure. You see, here's the deal.

There are some really amazing effects (both audio and graphical) that can be performed, and while I do share a sense of enjoyment for splash screens, demos, or even menus showing these effects. My real interest of respect goes to those effects working in-game. Anyone can do a variety of effects, but to get them functioning while a game is actually being playing, especially for a 2D platform game with complex physics that take up a lot of processing time, that, is where the true work of art is held, and that is what gains my ultimate respect.

These ring rides are basically tests, they are to see what effects can or cannot work while there's a complex platform game with heavy code physics running in the background. And instead of trying it and saying "oh yeah, it works alright", I turn it into a gaming feature to induce a bit of fun and some local interest in the community. It becomes more value-able that way.

So as long as there are more effects to try out, and as long as they can be made into some interesting gaming feature, the ring ride series will continue.

#561 User is offline Qtheman 

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:28 AM

• Memory Access Violation
  • Wiki edits:4
There might be a better thread for this, but eh. Something relatively simple I haven't seen done - Converted the Sonic 128 SonED2 project files to work with KingofHarts' HG S128 port (Also works if you're stubborn like me and ported over the 128x-related stuff yourself).

There are two files for each act of GHZ - One of them is set up to use a single, combined 8x8 file, the other is set up to use both (as the disassembly does by default).

Download link

EDIT: Can't believe I forgot to mention - The object definition file included assumes that 03 is the object being used for the planeswapper. If you're using KoH's HG port, the planeswapper is object 10 - to fix this in SonED2, open s1obj.lst in Notepad++ (or similar), and on line 767 and 1619, exchange 10 for 3 and vice versa (the "Object ID" line).
This post has been edited by Qtheman: 23 February 2014 - 10:55 AM

#562 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:11 AM

• Wiki edits:41
ChelseaCatGirl wanted to show you what she's been working on since her account quota ran out:

[snip]
This post has been edited by Jen: 09 April 2014 - 11:00 AM
Reason for edit: Please don't relay messages for pending members, it's against the rules to do so.

#563 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:36 PM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10

View PostE-122-Psi, on 05 April 2014 - 09:11 AM, said:

ChelseaCatGirl wanted to show you what she's been working on since her account quota ran out:

Posted Image

Lol I find it fun that that character no longer exists

#564 User is offline Xeta 

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:37 PM

• Project:something to do with dualpcm
Okay, so here's a small hack that Chaoxilla, another hacker who doesn't have an account here, made.

DOWNLOAD

He calls it "Springy Sonic". In this hack, you press and hold up to bounce and press jump upon landing to bounce higher.
This post has been edited by Xeta: 22 July 2014 - 07:54 PM

#565 User is offline Lapper 

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:07 AM

• Project:Sonic 2 HD, Sonic Maker
  • Wiki edits:111
Added a second hack to me series of Slightly Off Sonic 1 Hacks:

First we had Sonic 1 Invincible. Where he is invincible against all and any hazard sonic games throw at him. Even bottomless pits. Very fun to muck around in.
http://www.box.com/s...3yrnpz0s6gqb431

Now we have Sonic 1 Wall Editon. Where he is utterly unaffected by gravity when on the ground. You'll see what I mean. Can help speedrunning a lot and people might not even notice.
http://host-a.net/u/...lls_Edition.bin
Spoiler

Edit there's a bug where you cant accelerate on the ground sometimes... only had it in LZ, oh well.
This post has been edited by Lapper: 23 July 2014 - 04:09 AM

#566 User is offline nineko 

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:06 PM

• I am the Holy Cat
  • Project:I... don't even know anymore :U
  • Wiki edits:5,251
Those are awesome.

A little bug in the gravity one: if you try to stand still where you're not supposed to be, Sonic keeps on walking on the place.
Posted Image

Also in the invincible one: jump when you're inside a crushing pillar in MZ, and get stuck.
Posted Image

I'd play them more but I don't have much time. Still, awesome works.

#567 User is offline Lapper 

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:26 AM

• Project:Sonic 2 HD, Sonic Maker
  • Wiki edits:111
Sadly I cant fix the invincible one, though I should be able to fix up the other one at some point. Thanks for playing!

#568 User is offline SoullessSentinel 

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:12 PM

• Project:Sonic 1 32X Remix
Over the last few days, I revisited my port of Sonic 1 for 32X for the first time in a year. I threw out most of my old code, and started again using the current SVN disassembly as a base. I spent the last couple of weekends modifying the Sonic 3K SMPS driver to support PWM, and this rom is the result:

Sonic 1 32X with Chaotix Soundtrack.

There are no other changes to the game besides audio, and the playlist is probably strange, it's just a rom to show PWM support.

I still have no method of testing this on hardware, so if somebody could try it and get back to me, that would be nice.
This post has been edited by SoullessSentinel: 05 August 2014 - 03:22 PM

#569 User is offline Caverns 4 

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:24 AM

• Project:Sanik Quest: Journey To The Right
Can you guys beat Green Hill Zone?

You can?

Okay, well, what if... It was underwater, there were no objects (besides a signpost), and you had no air bubbles to grab?
Posted Image
(Yeah yeah, the title screen shot isn't from THIS build.)
Sanik Quest mini-build

I was adding a few more zone slots to the hack, and had some "Dummy" layout/object/ring layouts in place, and the water height table wasn't fully extended, but I notice that it's beatable, with a bit of trickery, and a friend thought it was cool, so you guys give it a try and have fun.
As there are NO object minus the signpost, loops DO NOT work.

Important stuff you almost certainly won't know prior to reading this:
-Sanik's spindash requires multiples revs to GOTTAGOFAST, and pays off better than the base game.
-Pressing jump in the air does a jumpdahs, functionally identical to Sonic 3k's fire shield
-Jumping or jumpdashing into a wall while holding the appropriate direction will make Sanik cling to the wall. Jumping while clinging will, as you would assume, make him perform a wall-jump.

Quick credits: Thanks to Deebs for the Sonic sprites, .Luke for a few sprite adjustments I couldn't do myself, Mercury for the wall-jumping code from ReadySonic which I modified, Clownancy and the rest for the new and improved Clone driver. The usual faces such as MarkeyJester and Mainmemory too. Also, KingofHarts and ShadowsofYesterday, for a lot of miscellaneous help.
Yes, this is part of a much larger-scale hack, that's why I need to plug so many credits.

#570 User is offline Xeta 

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:31 PM

• Project:something to do with dualpcm
Oho, inspired by Sonic UMZ, are we? Well, I have yet to beat this, but I can tell it requires heavy abuse of the Jump Dash and reset button.

• 48 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users