Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Maker - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 22 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sonic Maker

#316 User is offline winterhell 

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:11 PM

Less text and more show is better :v:

#317 User is offline Lapper 

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:14 PM

• Project:Sonic 2 HD, Sonic Studio, Kyle & Lucy: WW
  • Wiki edits:111
Right you are! Here are some cropped shots:
Posted Image
Posted Image

As you can see, polygon = solid ground. Pretty simple! The art shown isn't final as I am still changing a LOT of things. Even the editor visuals are subject to change.
This post has been edited by Lapper: 14 September 2017 - 02:25 PM

#318 User is offline Frostav 

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:52 PM

When I saw "Sonic Maker" I thought this was some Mario Maker-like fangame, but it turns out it's been worked on since 2010 :v:

Looks sick as hell though. I'd love to see a fangame focused on making levels and I'm really liking how you can actually "draw" the level!

#319 User is offline WhoWhatWhenWhale 

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:52 PM

Holy crap! This looks like the coolest thing ever! It's like Doom-Builder, except for 2D Sonic, by which I mean it looks really easy to use! I mean, it's not much yet, but it is still really nice.
This post has been edited by WhoWhatWhenWhale: 14 September 2017 - 10:54 PM

#320 User is offline Lapper 

Posted 15 September 2017 - 04:22 AM

I cant show off too much as the editor is still visually in progress, so here's a more in-depth feature list (so far):

Polygons:
- Duplicate/Flip/Rotate etc transform functionality
- Add point by dragging on line
- Delete point by right clicking point
- Polygons can not be open ended, and cannot intersect themselves.
- Edit flags such as: Jump through, layer, has grass, etc
- You will not be able to select multiple polygons at once and scale them like a vector editor or anything. It's possible to add, but going down this path will just end up making things more complex. So for nowm you can click and drag single polygons
- To create loops you will have to use 2-3 polygons and set their layers and use switcher tags. This is literally the simplest way it can be done, and you cannot have polygons intersect themselves. To combat this complexity I'm considering premade loops you can add then edit.

Objects:
- Highly customisable (fully rotate springs in 360 degrees for example)
- Each object has it's own parameters you can edit directly on screen (as you can in Mario Maker for example) So you wont be able to rotate bumpers or breakable blocks but you can rotate things like springs freely, and pull an arrow to control their strength etc.

Misc:
- There are separate modes, so you'll need to be in polygon mode to edit terrain and then switch to object mode to edit those. Prevents confusion
- You can zoom in and out with ease
This post has been edited by Lapper: 15 September 2017 - 04:26 AM

#321 User is offline ITmaster 

Posted 15 September 2017 - 04:55 AM

• Project:Sonic 06 (Total) Remake
Nice work you got there, especially with the updates you just made. It looks like it's going to be easy as Amy's pie in creating levels for sonic. Looking forward to it's results and the final product.

One question though, does it utilize Sonic's momentum physics?

#322 User is offline Lapper 

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:51 AM

Classic physics are in as exact as I can get 'em

#323 User is offline WhoWhatWhenWhale 

Posted 15 September 2017 - 03:53 PM

View PostLapper, on 15 September 2017 - 04:22 AM, said:

I cant show off too much as the editor is still visually in progress, so here's a more in-depth feature list (so far):

Polygons:
- Duplicate/Flip/Rotate etc transform functionality
- Add point by dragging on line
- Delete point by right clicking point
- Polygons can not be open ended, and cannot intersect themselves.
- Edit flags such as: Jump through, layer, has grass, etc
- You will not be able to select multiple polygons at once and scale them like a vector editor or anything. It's possible to add, but going down this path will just end up making things more complex. So for nowm you can click and drag single polygons
- To create loops you will have to use 2-3 polygons and set their layers and use switcher tags. This is literally the simplest way it can be done, and you cannot have polygons intersect themselves. To combat this complexity I'm considering premade loops you can add then edit.

Objects:
- Highly customisable (fully rotate springs in 360 degrees for example)
- Each object has it's own parameters you can edit directly on screen (as you can in Mario Maker for example) So you wont be able to rotate bumpers or breakable blocks but you can rotate things like springs freely, and pull an arrow to control their strength etc.

Misc:
- There are separate modes, so you'll need to be in polygon mode to edit terrain and then switch to object mode to edit those. Prevents confusion
- You can zoom in and out with ease

You should consider adding an option to use tiles instead of polygons, as sort of an "advanced mode". Although, that might be problematic considering how it seems like you handle drawing the polygons, as it looks like you directly render the slopes, instead of having separate images for the various slopes...

Anyway, the reason why tiles would be useful as an option is because with polygons, if you draw two of the exact same shape, they'll always look exactly the same, but with tiles, you can manually edit and tweak certain parts of the geometry that the regular polygon algorithm wouldn't allow you to do. It'd be even better if you could make the two modes compatible with eachother, as then one would be able to use polygon mode to draw the general level design, then use the tile mode, or "detail mode", as it would probably be called, to tweak and change things just incase the polygon mode did something you didn't like for whatever reason.

#324 User is offline Lapper 

Posted 16 September 2017 - 08:18 AM

View PostWhoWhatWhenWhale, on 15 September 2017 - 03:53 PM, said:

You should consider adding an option to use tiles instead of polygons, as sort of an "advanced mode". Although, that might be problematic considering how it seems like you handle drawing the polygons, as it looks like you directly render the slopes, instead of having separate images for the various slopes...

Anyway, the reason why tiles would be useful as an option is because with polygons, if you draw two of the exact same shape, they'll always look exactly the same, but with tiles, you can manually edit and tweak certain parts of the geometry that the regular polygon algorithm wouldn't allow you to do. It'd be even better if you could make the two modes compatible with eachother, as then one would be able to use polygon mode to draw the general level design, then use the tile mode, or "detail mode", as it would probably be called, to tweak and change things just incase the polygon mode did something you didn't like for whatever reason.

I could easily go down this road but it would defeat the point of making things simple to edit. That would definitely make it easier to do more complex things, but that's not the end goal with this, I have to keep things simple at least for now. Polygons are not easily translated into tiles anyway.

You can place decorations onto the stage, and their are some limited options for what graphics the polygon displays so that should suit people well enough. And nothing stops you combining many different polygons with different settings to effectively make one larger more complex shape.

#325 User is offline winterhell 

Posted 16 September 2017 - 08:48 AM

If the mask editor is made really easy and intuitive/fast, it might work. You can probably keep using the original 256 collision masks that are 16*16 pixels, and make the outline out of that.

#326 User is offline Lapper 

Posted 16 September 2017 - 08:52 AM

View Postwinterhell, on 16 September 2017 - 08:48 AM, said:

If the mask editor is made really easy and intuitive/fast, it might work. You can probably keep using the original 256 collision masks that are 16*16 pixels, and make the outline out of that.

I think if people want to use chunks/tiles they should make a fangame the legit way haha;) All this will be is a 'make shapey levels and play'.

• 22 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users