Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Super Nintendo CD-Rom Drive Tech documents - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

Super Nintendo CD-Rom Drive Tech documents leaked

#1 User is offline Vangar 

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:18 PM

• Wiki edits:2
Forgive me if this has already been posted on Retro, but I didn't see it.

http://www.retrocoll...ked-online.html

From the article:

Lin uploaded to Twitter countless page scans detailing the specifications of the SNES-CD add-on, along with programming guides and much much more - potentially filling in huge gaps in video game history. The entire collection seems to have been archived in PDF format, although it does leave one question... is there more than enough information within to make a homebrew effort re-creating this fabled system? We can only dream, but either way be sure to check out what we may have been playing back in the early nineties.

#2 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:48 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
Very interesting stuff. I was looking for a Mega CD reference once they started going on about other uses of CD tech, but nothing. =P

I doubt VERY much an actual unit will ever be built (moreso because there's no software for it), but nevertheless a wonderful piece of gaming history to have preserved.

#3 User is online nineko 

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:38 PM

• I am the Holy Cat
  • Project:I... don't even know anymore :U
  • Wiki edits:5,251
I wonder how many similarities it shares with the actual PlayStation 1, if they could reuse most of the ideas and most of the design, or if they simply reinvented the PlayStation 1 from scratch.

#4 User is offline Meat Miracle 

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:31 PM

• Wiki edits:2

View Postnineko, on 20 February 2014 - 12:38 PM, said:

I wonder how many similarities it shares with the actual PlayStation 1, if they could reuse most of the ideas and most of the design, or if they simply reinvented the PlayStation 1 from scratch.

The document mentions the CD-I format so I'd imagine this is the Phillips based unit, not the Sony one.

All the specs in the docs perfectly line up with the info we know out of magazine articles, of the bottom expansion unit, by the way (do we even have any specs for the SNES Playstation?).
This post has been edited by Meat Miracle: 05 March 2014 - 09:34 PM

#5 User is offline Kiddo Cabbusses 

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:42 PM

• Wiki edits:100

View PostMeat Miracle, on 05 March 2014 - 09:31 PM, said:

View Postnineko, on 20 February 2014 - 12:38 PM, said:

The document mentions the CD-I format so I'd imagine this is the Phillips based unit, not the Sony one.

All the specs in the docs perfectly line up with the info we know out of magazine articles, of the bottom expansion unit, by the way (do we even have any specs for the SNES Playstation?).

So this CD-I one... it would play Hotel Mario, right...?

Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users