Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: SADX/SA1 Hacking/Modding - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 182 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

SADX/SA1 Hacking/Modding Now with more research and development!

#2716 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:47 PM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
Too bad he's done it by literally replacing the music files instead of using the mod loader's ReplaceFiles functionality to do it. He fixed it, but only because I handed him the exact data to put in mod.ini.
This post has been edited by MainMemory: 17 January 2018 - 04:59 PM

#2717 User is offline Exant 

Posted 28 January 2018 - 03:28 AM

Hello SonicRetro!
I've been making a Chao Garden expansion mod lately and I decided that this could be my first release of the modpack (with other stuff soon to come)
Download
The base mod contains: -random mouths and eyes
-character chao evolution (had a lot of fun when I was making that)
-shiny jewels are transparent
Monster evolution - same as in the SA2 CWE
Color Mixing - colors get mixed on breeding
*credit goes to DarkyBenji and ChaoGardenBuster for the original mod*

About Shiny Jewels being transparent, I just edited the transparency color. But lately a member of our community (LimitCrown) has been looking at the GameCube version and he found out that those colors are the same,
the only difference is the game reads them in a GBAR format. (here's his documentation: documentation).
I might port those colors over to the mod someday, but currently I'm taking a break from the project.

Enjoy!

Edit: turns out the monster evo and color mixing isn't working, patch coming out *soon*
Edit again: Fixed it. No more edits, I promise.
This post has been edited by Exant: 29 January 2018 - 12:05 PM

#2718 User is offline PkR 

Posted 29 January 2018 - 12:27 PM

• Project:SADX Dreamcast Conversion, The Emeralds' Awakening
I'm about to update all my mods to support new Mod Loader functionality as well as make them compatible with the integrated "Dreamcast Conversion" mod that is coming soon.

About DLC mods: since they can no longer detect which version of the level (DC or SADX) you're using, there's now a manual config option to toggle between Dreamcast and SADX object placement for the DLCs that need it. So if you're using SADX Station Square, you'd need to switch the DLC mods to the "vanilla SADX mode". All DLC mods that have configurable options have also been updated to support the Mod Loader's config editor.

In the next couple of days the rest of my mods will receive minor compatibility updates, then HD GUI 2 will receive a large update, and after that I'll start rolling out the unified Dreamcast Conversion mod. I'll post about it separately on ModDB and in the DC mods topic.

Also, I gotta say that Chao stuff is really nice! I've been hoping to see some Chao development in SADX and I'm glad it's happening. Looking forward to more of this.
This post has been edited by PkR: 29 January 2018 - 03:07 PM

#2719 User is offline PkR 

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:32 PM

• Project:SADX Dreamcast Conversion, The Emeralds' Awakening
Posting here since the DLCs mod works with and without other Dreamcast mods.

The individual DLC mods have been integrated into a unified "Dreamcast DLC" mod that adds LOTS of configuration options! Here's a list of what you can do:
  • You can make it load a single DLC every time, or load a random DLC on every startup, or even load specific DLCs on specific weeks!
  • For the Samba GP DLC you can enable the Super Sonic Racing tune for all characters and select which character goes to which track (out of 6 total).
  • This is minor, but you can force the menu narrator to be a specific character like on the Dreamcast, where you could do that with character voice packs on the VMU.
  • Unlike the separate Dreamcast Launch Party DLC mod, where you had to select the region of the event, you can select each region as a separate event. So now you can run the US Dreamcast Launch in early September and the Japanese one in late November if you use the Seasonal DLC mode.
  • There's an option to make the characters say "SEGA!" when the game starts up. It uses slightly altered code from Morph's SADXFE. If you select a specific character to voice the menus, the SEGA screen will be voiced by the same character. The voice will be randomized like in SADXFE if you don't have a specific character selected in the menu voice option. If you use Japanese voices, you need to select Japanese for the SEGA voice separately because the game doesn't know which language you're using as the save isn't loaded on the SEGA screen.

You need to remove ALL of the individual DLC mods to be able to use the updated single mod version. You no longer need the individual mods because the unified mod contains all of the DLCs.
If you don't use Dreamcast Station Square, you need to enable the "Vanilla SADX mode" in the mod's config. This isn't automatic at the moment because there's no easy way for the DLCs mod to know whether or not you have Station Square enabled in the Dreamcast Conversion mod.

Also, you probably remember that in the original game and older DLC mods certain DLCs could interfere with the story - e.g. the tree from the Christmas 1999 DLC would block the card needed to enter Speed Highway as Sonic. To avoid issues with the story, this mod does the following:

1) When playing as Sonic, one of the Christmas trees doesn't spawn if Speed Highway is not cleared
2) The Reebok DLC doesn't load if Emerald Coast isn't cleared
3) The AT&T challenge for Sonic doesn't load if Speed Highway is open but not cleared

You can get the updated mod from this direct link or by using my installer. Please report issues if you run into any.

Also I'll be adding Japanese assets (created by Jmtshaw and Windii) to HD GUI, so expect a pretty big HD GUI update sometime soon.

Have fun!

#2720 User is offline Exant 

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:20 AM

Did we ever create a Chunk Model struct exporter? (NJS_OBJECT->NJS_CNK_OBJECT I mean) Would be really useful, I tried messing around with "converting" the vertex struct from the regular NJS_OBJECT type to Sint32 but didn't really work. (I mean, that was expected but atleast I tried).
This post has been edited by Exant: 10 February 2018 - 03:30 AM

#2721 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:05 AM

Do you even know anything about how the Basic Model and Chunk Model formats work? If you did, I imagine you wouldn't have tried converting it manually, because the formats are fundamentally incompatible, you would need a conversion tool.

As to the existence of such a tool, I tried making a LevelConverter tool for LandTables a while back, but it doesn't quite work. A ModelConverter tool could be in the cards if I can figure out how to fix the conversion.

If you're thinking you can bypass the inability to import custom models to SA2 by just porting models imported for the Basic Model, it doesn't work that way. Our importer imports models as triangle lists, which are supported by the Basic Model, but the Chunk Model only supports triangle strips, so we would need to implement a conversion function, and at that point, I could write a Chunk Model importer anyway. If you just want to port SA1 models to SA2, that might work, depending on the model. Most only use triangle strips, but there are a few odd ones.
This post has been edited by MainMemory: 10 February 2018 - 10:07 AM

#2722 User is offline Exant 

Posted 10 February 2018 - 01:42 PM

I researched the SAModel project in SATools and after a lengthy analysis I thought I could trial and error with manual converting. Of course I expected it to not work but you gotta try it at least once.

#2723 User is offline Jmtshaw 

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:51 PM

There's a new mod out (by SKingBlue) that replaces the English story script with one closer to the original Japanese dialogue by implementing Windii's re-translation!

Screenshots:
Spoiler

Download
This post has been edited by Jmtshaw: 12 February 2018 - 06:52 PM

#2724 User is offline Saturnine Sable 

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:45 AM

• Yume no Izumi
  • Project:SEGA Carnival
A few questions:

1 - Is it possible to replace the font with the original Dreamcast version and/or a higher resolution version?
2 - Is it possible to restore 30 FPS functionality without the usage of outside programs such as Dxtory? (This includes switching back to 60 in menus / Twinkle Circuit / credits / etc)
3 - Finally, is it possible to restore the music stopping upon Adventure Field transitions and death?

#2725 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:58 PM

In order to properly recreate the font, we'd have to completely replace the text drawing system.
I'm not entirely sure what would be involved in such a mod, but I believe it would be possible to reduce most of the game to 30fps.
Stopping the music would just be a matter of inserting code to, well, stop the music.

#2726 User is offline Tadashi 

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:23 PM

• 3fast5u
Is there a way to remap ESC to pause/cancel/go to previous menu etc functions similar to, you know, any other game/computer program?

Yes, this seriously bugged me since 2004.

#2727 User is offline docfuture 

Posted Yesterday, 10:09 AM

I have a question about editing the text for the human NPCs in SADX. Using SADXTweaker2 to edit the cutscene text works great and I have no problems with it. But the actual message files for human NPCs don't seem to be able to output in StructConverter?

So I can go in and edit the text for human NPCs in say Station Square or Mystic Ruins and the files are edited properly. I can load them back up and see the changes.

So the problem comes in when StructConverter

A: Doesn't automatically recognize the changes when I click "check modified"
B: If I manually go in to check one of the options in this section:

Posted Image

It seems that these export settings are totally unrelated to the message files in the system folder. These are for the text files in the MISC folder that handle say, when you see one of the other player characters in the field or TV monitor messages.

So am I just totally scrolling past or missing the option for the bin files/message files?

#2728 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted Yesterday, 10:54 AM

StructConverter only deals with the data exported by the split tool, the field NPC messages are entirely separate and must be copied to your mod's system folder manually. I realize this is not ideal, but figuring out how to implement a project system that ties together all the data extracted from the EXE file, the DLL files, and the files in the system folder is not an easy task.

#2729 User is offline docfuture 

Posted Yesterday, 12:04 PM

That's cool. I can live with that. Thanks!

• 182 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users