Hey, remember this?
after releasing the Casual Editions, I was still looking for something to do and figured I might as well go work on Cz some more.
Two days later and this is the result:
Basically my plan of action was to make the entire game playable as Amy, and now it is.
If you're wondering why I'd release something that's clearly unfinished, do note, I want to work on more bugfixes and features while anyone who wants to play it in its current state, can. If I waited til everything was done, I'd never release it at all. Actually releasing something motivates me to do more work on it, I guess. Besides, my name's Hayate, since when did Hayate not release things that were ridiculously glitchy messes?
Full changelog of what I've done in this little hacking spree:
* Amy now has a dash hammer attack, which you can use by building up speed, then holding down. It uses up your inertia though, can only be used on fairly level ground, and doesn't last long! Release Down to cancel the attack early.
* Amy can now break AIZ/LRZ top-breakable rocks and LBZ pipe plugs with her hammer.
* Amy can still enter tunnels that force her to spin, but will now automatically stop spinning and go back to running when she leaves them.
* Amy can now break SOZ rising sand walls and corks, allowing her to complete the zone. She can also hit the act 2 boss properly without being invincible/Super/Hyper, but it's difficult to hit without getting hit yourself as it sucks the player character in assuming they'll jump into a ball and rebound.
* Amy can now break LRZ projectile shooting door opening enemies.
* Amy can't move LRZ dash elevators, but she CAN break them with her hammer! This allows her to complete the zone (act 1 boss requires Super/Hyper).
* Hyper Amy's afterimages now appear properly.
* Amy can now hit the DEZ3 post-final-boss Eggpod (the one that you're not allowed to be Super/Hyper for).
* Beating DEZ3 as Amy no longer crashes the game (beating DEZ3 as Knuckles still does, though).
I must admit I haven't tested the hammer responses for things in SSZ and DEZ, as I kinda just flew through them in hyper mode... so you may need to do the same. But I'm sure everyone on here can collect 7 emeralds
In addition to these changes, there were a ton of changes I made between the previous release and now, which I'd totally forgot even doing. I'll summarize what I can remember:
* You can now only enter the Special Stages from climbing all the way up to the top of the Magnet Ball Bonus Stage. And to enter that bonus stage, you have to get 80 rings and hit a checkpoint (20-49 gives you the slot machine and 50-79 gives you the gumball machine, neither of which have tops).
* While transforming still requires 50 rings (I may change this in future), transformation drains your score which has been renamed to Power, instead of your rings.
* You have infinite lives, anything that would get you an extra life gets you 10000 points instead. The life counter is no longer displayed. If you die, you lose 10000 points or all your points if you have less than that, but you don't game over even if you don't have enough points.
* Giant rings always give 5000 points (and don't give rings, and don't lead to special stages or HPZ).
* In Doomsday Zone, you start with 5000 points, and you gain 10000 points every 50 rings (instead of every 100 rings as elsewhere in the game).
Bugs worth drawing attention to:
* Do not fight Knuckles' boss at the end of LBZ2. If you do, the cutscene where you fall into Mushroom Hill never ends, just like if you manage to fight Knuckles' boss as Sonic/Tails in the original game.
* In the LRZ1 cylinders and the SSZ cutscene tower that you run around, the game will lag a lot and may glitch up the graphics, but there will be no other unwanted effects, and the lag will stop once you leave the cylinder. If you're impatient, just hold TAB (or whatever your speedup button might be).
Oh, and for those who were wondering what Cz stands for? I've retconned it to stand for nothing. Yes the hack used to be called Customizable, but I don't really care to maintain that as Tiddles has steadily improved his customizable version which is far better. I've been thinking of what else to call it - called it Amy in Sonic 3 for a while because that's the main concept going on here, but then Psi came along with a far more fitting hack for that name once again. So because nobody else would ever have any good reason to use the name "Sonic 3 Cz", let's just use that and stick with it.
Now after this enormous post, guess I have a wiki page to renovate...!