Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Yakuza General - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 6 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Yakuza General 0, Kiwami, and 6 all coming west

#76 User is offline mentski 

Posted 23 March 2018 - 07:54 AM

• Pfff.
  • Project:Being a mysterious face.

View PostJaxTH, on 19 March 2018 - 12:33 AM, said:

I personally want a Kiwami 3 then a 4 & 5 collection. 3 needs a remake as well I believe.

3, 4, and 5 all run on the same engine (The same one used in Zero and Kiwami 1). I think it's more likely we'll see a 3/4/5 port bundle similar to 1&2 HD Edition.

Although 3 almost certainly needs all it's removed content added back in for the west. And a new translation to make it consistent with the later releases and clear up the Fuma/Kazama naming issues.
This post has been edited by mentski: 23 March 2018 - 07:56 AM

#77 User is offline witapepsi 

Posted 17 April 2018 - 03:32 AM

• Meseta Stealer
  • Project:Just discovering!

View Postmentski, on 23 March 2018 - 07:54 AM, said:

3, 4, and 5 all run on the same engine

Actually, Kenzan, 3, and 4 share the same engine. While 5, Ishin, Zero, Kiwami, and Hokuto Ga Gotoku share the same engine.
4 and 5 do look very similar, but it's mostly the direction of the cutscenes. It's pretty interesting stuff! I'm not sure if the different engines have names, besides the Dragon Engine, which is currently for the PS4 only games.

#78 User is offline TimmiT 

Posted 17 April 2018 - 03:47 PM

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Project:Big screenshots
  • Wiki edits:8
Sega put out a survey about Yakuza 6 for those who have played the game: http://yakuza.sega.c...SSchL1vnH8FPls/

At the end it asks if you would buy the Fist of the North Star Yakuza game if it was localized.

#79 User is offline mentski 

Posted 18 April 2018 - 12:02 PM

• Pfff.
  • Project:Being a mysterious face.

View PostTimmiT, on 17 April 2018 - 03:47 PM, said:

Sega put out a survey about Yakuza 6 for those who have played the game: http://yakuza.sega.c...SSchL1vnH8FPls/

At the end it asks if you would buy the Fist of the North Star Yakuza game if it was localized.

Some sites considering this survey an all-but-confirmation that we'll get a Hokuto translation, despite the fact exactly the same question was asked in the survey they released just after the announcement of the game last year,

I think it'll happen, I hope it'll happen, but I bought it last month, anyway, and if it does come out in English next year... sure, I'll double dip.

#80 User is offline Aesculapius Piranha 

Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:04 PM

• つづく
  • Project:Diva
  • Wiki edits:6

View Postwitapepsi, on 17 April 2018 - 03:32 AM, said:

View Postmentski, on 23 March 2018 - 07:54 AM, said:

3, 4, and 5 all run on the same engine

Actually, Kenzan, 3, and 4 share the same engine. While 5, Ishin, Zero, Kiwami, and Hokuto Ga Gotoku share the same engine.
4 and 5 do look very similar, but it's mostly the direction of the cutscenes. It's pretty interesting stuff! I'm not sure if the different engines have names, besides the Dragon Engine, which is currently for the PS4 only games.

Hokuto Ga Gotoku runs on 5's engine? Really? I'm definitely surprised to hear that since it was announced late enough to where I would have thought it would use 6's like Kiwami 2.

#81 User is offline TimmiT 

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:21 AM

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

View PostAesculapius Piranha, on 19 April 2018 - 07:04 PM, said:

Hokuto Ga Gotoku runs on 5's engine? Really? I'm definitely surprised to hear that since it was announced late enough to where I would have thought it would use 6's like Kiwami 2.

Yup, iirc it's because Yakuza 6's engine is hard to work with, and since the Fist of the North Star game's art style is unrealistic and cel shaded it's easier to have it look good in Yakuza 5/0's engine anyway. Also means it runs at 60fps, rather than it struggling to run at 30fps like Yakuza 6 does.
This post has been edited by TimmiT: 24 April 2018 - 09:23 AM

#82 User is offline Caniad Bach 

Posted 08 May 2018 - 05:55 PM

• is a peanut
So I just beat Yakuza 0, and thought it was great!

Should I pick up Kiwami next or go straight to 6?

#83 User is offline steveswede 

Posted 08 May 2018 - 06:31 PM

• Project:Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
  • Wiki edits:6
Most likely best to go with Kiwami. I've not played 6 because I actually want to play the games chronologically but it's up to you if you want to do that. As for Kiwami it's story isn't as good as Y0, it really shows how far the writing has come along since the first game but it's still enjoyable.

#84 User is offline TimmiT 

Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:36 PM

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

View PostCaniad Bach, on 08 May 2018 - 05:55 PM, said:

So I just beat Yakuza 0, and thought it was great!

Should I pick up Kiwami next or go straight to 6?

6 is the end of Kiryu's arc, and while it does a pretty good job of catching you up on the plot, I feel like if you have a PS3 or PlayStation Now that you should at least play 4 and 5 before 6.

Also Kiwami follows up on a lot of the characters in 0 so if you want to see what happens to them it's probably better to play that game. Just don't expect the writing to be as good as in 0.

• 6 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users