Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: I've ported the Sonic Mania CRT shaders to ReShade - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

I've ported the Sonic Mania CRT shaders to ReShade

#16 User is offline luluco 

Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:01 AM

The difference is striking, checkout the waterfalls and clouds in the background:
Spoiler

#17 User is offline Blue Spikeball 

Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:46 AM

Thank you for the advice and the sample pics. And yes, that filter makes the transparent waterfall and water in those pics look fantastic. Unfortunately, I've noticed a few issues with the dithering when using it. For instance, the colors of waterfalls, tubes and other stuff that uses vertical dithering for transparency get warped when the screen scrolls:
Posted Image

And dithered colors tend to become horizontal lines:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Anyway. Just to clarify, I'm not trying to make the graphics look as close to CRT as possible (though I can see the appeal in such filters). I was just interested in a filter that would blend pixels in order to "fix" the dithering and transparencies in games, without causing too much blurring.

#18 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 04 September 2017 - 10:36 AM

• NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev
  • Wiki edits:9

View PostBlue Spikeball, on 04 September 2017 - 09:46 AM, said:

And dithered colors tend to become horizontal lines:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Anyway. Just to clarify, I'm not trying to make the graphics look as close to CRT as possible (though I can see the appeal in such filters). I was just interested in a filter that would blend pixels in order to "fix" the dithering and transparencies in games, without causing too much blurring.

You're looking for something more akin to a bilinear filter, one that samples from 2 directions. This is actually closer to how a real CRT would behave, because the bleed from the phosphor isn't only horizontal.
This post has been edited by Cooljerk: 04 September 2017 - 10:36 AM

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users