Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC) - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 730 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC) Developed by Christian Whitehead, Headcannon and PagodaWest

#10876 User is offline Drex 

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:44 PM

• Lazy perfectionist
"Sonic Mania Gems"
I'd buy it a couple times if only for Toxic Caves and a Chaotix stage.

#10877 User is offline Sir_mihael 

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:20 PM

• DON'T TRUST THIS MAN
I got it. Like a eureka bathtub moment: SONIC MANIA GEAR

Bridge Zone
Sleeping Egg Zone
Sunset Park Zone
Mecha Green Hill Zone
Meta Junglira Zone
Robotnik Winter Zone
Red Volcano Zone (Sonic Blast rep whoo)
Crystal Egg Zone
Sky Base Zone

Yuzo Koshiro and Tee Lopes team up for the OST. It's too good for this world. Pretend you never read this post.

#10878 User is offline Yeow 

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:58 PM

• Official moneylender for the Coalition of Muslim Drug Dealers
  • Project:college courses and holding crusades against anime trash
Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom will be getting a physical release for NA. Both for PS4 and Switch.

Why am I bringing this up here? Because the game's publisher, FDG Games, announced that they made a partnership with (who else?) to bring this game to retail for that region...

...funny how that works.
This post has been edited by Yeow: 13 February 2018 - 08:05 PM

#10879 User is offline Sir_mihael 

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:04 PM

• DON'T TRUST THIS MAN
I'm so glad that in the space of less than 12 months I'll be able to own two new physical Wonder Boy games, but I do feel like the lack of a Mania Physical release at this point, especially with the above news, is bordering on taking the piss now.
Is Mania just in that awkward place of "too small for a full price big release / too big a reputation for a small publisher release" maybe?

#10880 User is offline Chris Highwind 

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:49 PM

• Project:Slacking
  • Wiki edits:13
Welp, Sonic Mania just turned Caddicarus into a Sonic fan

#10881 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:06 PM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10

View PostSir_mihael, on 14 February 2018 - 06:04 PM, said:

Is Mania just in that awkward place of "too small for a full price big release / too big a reputation for a small publisher release" maybe?

Certainly feels that way. Maybe a Plus version would justify a physical copy but idk how many $20 games are distributed physically from the get go these days?

#10882 User is offline 360 

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:27 PM

• Light Vision Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon
I'm sticking to my assertion that Mania's lack of a physical release was due to the short-sighted extreme doubt and caution that Sonic Team exercised with the whole "We don't know how Sonic Mania is going to be received" which I'd translate as "This game might bomb in reviews and sales" hence the lack of a physical release because Sega had concern that such a release would lose them money.

Hopefully with Mania's insane success and the prospect of a potential "Sonic Mania Plus" being unveiled soon they'll reconsider. Monster Boy getting one is a good sign.

#10883 User is offline Pengi 

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:57 PM

The other thing to consider is that if Sonic Mania got a physical release, it would have cost more, and the digital version would almost certainly have been priced to match the physical version. Sonic Mania's price point seems to have been a sweet spot that got a lot of impulse buys.

It does seem like they were being very cautious about it though. Iizuka was confident enough to get the project rolling, but said he was unsure how the fans would react to an old fashioned looking pixel art Sonic game. Then in interviews he said that as long as older Sonic fans enjoyed it he would consider it a success, which sounded a little bit like preemptively saving face. Shun Nakamura said it was "very interesting" that Mania got high scores and that Sonic Team sat down and discussed what they could learn from Mania to put in their 3D games.

The fact that it turned out to be the story of the plucky underdog making good might have been for the best in the long run, especially if it means we get a "Plus" version with extra/cut content.

#10884 User is offline KingOfBunnies 

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:29 PM

View PostChris Highwind, on 14 February 2018 - 06:49 PM, said:

Welp, Sonic Mania just turned Caddicarus into a Sonic fan

Too bad his bits still aren't very funny and he still shills for Sony more than anyone I've ever seen before.

#10885 User is offline Yeow 

Posted 15 February 2018 - 03:35 AM

• Official moneylender for the Coalition of Muslim Drug Dealers
  • Project:college courses and holding crusades against anime trash

View PostDark Sonic, on 14 February 2018 - 07:06 PM, said:

View PostSir_mihael, on 14 February 2018 - 06:04 PM, said:

Certainly feels that way. Maybe a Plus version would justify a physical copy but idk how many $20 games are distributed physically from the get go these days?

I don't think these are questions that really something to be considered when we're talking about the release of a Sonic game. That has been the crux of my complaints about how I see the ball being in Sega's court on this whole issue for some time now.

But I digress. Besides, it's fucking hilarious to see Mania be considered a risky venture that should be questioned on whether more coin should be put into it to give it a retail release.

While not even four years ago, we saw this shit put out there on the market at fucking full price.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

(Nevermind a third Boom game being greenlit and released after the first two Boom games failed miserably in reviews and sales.)

#10886 User is offline Laughingcow 

Posted 15 February 2018 - 05:01 AM

It occurs to me that one of the probably reasons for the rejection of Mania by Sonic team wasn't just Sonic 4 but their more recent failure with Sonic Runners.

If you recall when it was announced, they exploited the classics & Sonic 4 in the trailer. Could it be the totally justified backlash & ensuing failure played into the decision as well? I believe so

Another though, them being "surprised" about how well it does only tells me they played Sonic Mania and though it was shit. Was anyone here surprised after playing Mania to find out it did exceptionally well? I don't believe so.

#10887 User is online SuperSnoopy 

Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:23 AM

• I prefer Sonic Advance to Sonic 2
  • Project:Learning how to fucking draw

View PostLaughingcow, on 15 February 2018 - 05:01 AM, said:

Another though, them being "surprised" about how well it does only tells me they played Sonic Mania and though it was shit. Was anyone here surprised after playing Mania to find out it did exceptionally well? I don't believe so.

I would agree that they were a bit shortsighted on the matter, but I think you're reaching a little bit too much here.
What they meant by "being surprised" is that they didn't know if people would like a 2d retro-styled Sonic game in this day and age.

I don't know why so many people here are convinced that Sonic Team is a bunch of bitter assholes that hate Team Mania because they made a better Sonic game that the one they were working on.
Are they completely clueless ? Probably. Are they mean spirited ? I don't think so.
This post has been edited by SuperSnoopy: 15 February 2018 - 06:24 AM

#10888 User is offline Laughingcow 

Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:43 AM

View PostSuperSnoopy, on 15 February 2018 - 06:23 AM, said:

I would agree that they were a bit shortsighted on the matter, but I think you're reaching a little bit too much here.
What they meant by "being surprised" is that they didn't know if people would like a 2d retro-styled Sonic game in this day and age.

In an age where small 2d pixel games exist side by side with their large ass 3d counterparts on both physical and digital storefronts, you start the think, "Nobody can be this stupid". The sad part being that if it were purely stupidity, that would be worst then attempted maliciousness in my opinion. There's a reason the parody of Sonic Team doing cocaine exist, we cannot believe anyone can be this incompetent without some logical explanation. Nobody should consider Sonic 4, Sonic Runners, and Sonic Mania in the same league.

And then there is stating the obvious: We as consumers suffer because they suck. I don't know about you but for myself and others, that's malicious even if Sonic Team doesn't mean it.

#10889 User is online SuperSnoopy 

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:48 AM

• I prefer Sonic Advance to Sonic 2
  • Project:Learning how to fucking draw
Well, I have to agree with you on that one. It's true that we end up suffering because of the decisions they make, but I can find it in myself to resent them for that. At the end of the day, they're just a bunch of people trying to do something good, and I know of hard that can be sometimes.

But yeah, if I ever have the chance to have a wish granted, my absolute priority will be to see what the fuck is going on at Sonic Team's HQ. Sometimes I wonder if they even have an Internet connection.

That, or the cure to cancer.

#10890 User is offline The KKM 

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:19 AM

• Welcome to the nExt level
  • Project:Taking control of my life
  • Wiki edits:6
How popular is something like Shovel Knight in Japan? From our perspective here it's obviously naive to have doubts whether Sonic Mania would sell, but imagine just 10 years ago? In an industry where games keep pushing for higher graphical fidelity and elaborate gameplay, and simpler art styles and gameplay gets mostly relegated to mobile, it's really not a stretch, if you're mostly working in a completely different language and culture, to think that a game that amounts to a release of 1995 would crash and burn for being too niche for a modern market.

• 730 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users