Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Questions on Getting Into Genesis Music Creation - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

Questions on Getting Into Genesis Music Creation Hopefully this isn't bothersome

#1 User is offline SternumSteven 

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:39 PM

I've been making Genesis-like covers in FL Studio for a while, but they mainly relied on VOPM (and currently, Genny), not really being anything that can be played on real hardware. I'm trying to get into making more accurate covers but I'm a bit aimless as to where to go/ask. I tried getting into trackers but the interfaces are way too complex for me personally, but I read that people can still use FL to configure MIDI2SMPS and make chiptune that way, though I don't know how. Is there a sort of tutorial or any resources I could find in order to get into that sort of thing? (Currently I can't seem to get the MIDI2SMPS driver itself properly configured.)

Apologies if this is a dumb question in advance, would just like to get better at covers but don't know where to start.
This post has been edited by Overlord: 19 July 2017 - 01:24 PM
Reason for edit: I've removed the unecessary font/size tags - please don't do that.

#2 User is offline Spanner 

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:00 PM

• The Tool
  • Project:Sonic Hacking Contest
  • Wiki edits:2,193
There are a few videos on YouTube explaining the FL and MID2SMPS config, go look them up.

#3 User is offline Herm the Germ 

Posted 20 July 2017 - 06:18 AM

• Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor!
  • Project:MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
  • Wiki edits:5
Typically, what I'm doing is take a MIDI and, in FL Studio, prepare it for use with mid2smps, as described in the opening post of the program's topic, then utilize the actual program as instructed to get a functioning binary file that can be played by the default S1 SMPS driver, or converted to other formats.

#4 User is offline SternumSteven 

Posted 20 July 2017 - 11:19 AM

Trying to run a conversion from the steps listed, though when I convert a MIDI the drumkit doesn't play when converted to an SMPS, the MIDI itself plays the drums as they should sound in FL and playing the MIDI file has no problems either. Repeated conversions aren't doing anything and I'm fairly sure I have the channels in the correct order.

Again, apologies if any of this sounds dumb, I did read the topic but I didn't think I should clog it up just to get advice.

#5 User is offline ValleyBell 

Posted 21 July 2017 - 01:59 PM

• Project:researching SMPS sound drivers
  • Wiki edits:10
I recommend to read A-S-H's topic How to make a song with mid2smps.
It has detailed instructions on what the general process it. (One of my replies also has a small video that shows you how to set up mid2smps. But everything is in his post as well.)

#6 User is offline SternumSteven 

Posted 21 July 2017 - 05:13 PM

Thanks for the advice. Was able to do this as a test but the issue I have regarding drums still applies. (That and using the Sonic 3 DAC currently doesn't make tom sounds play in the drumkit.) I'll try to see if repeated conversions fix it.
Again, thanks.

#7 User is offline SternumSteven 

Posted 06 August 2017 - 04:36 PM

Just wanted to ask. I found out my earlier problem was because there were some samples that weren't mapped in the Sonic 3 Drumkit I was using, and I got that amended. However, Is there any way to get custom percussion samples or am I relegated to the Sonic drumkits that came packaged with MID2SMPS?

Thanks in advance.

Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users