don't click here

What if Sonic was accepted as a Rabbit?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by L3AF1AM3SD, Apr 12, 2012.

1. You know I have always wondered, what if SEGA accepted the Rabbit Design of Sonic? What traits would he have? Would he still be akin the the new Sonic? Would he have been in the game? Give me your thoughts.

2. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    he would have probably ended up alot like Cream.

3. Hmm, I guess.

4. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Wasn't the gameplay idea more like Ristar then Cream?

5. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I've heard interviews... based on those, he would be much in the style of Ristar, using his ears to do what Ristars hands/arms do.

6. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    One word comes to mind. Flop.

And no, I'm not talking about it's ears.

7. He'd basically be a Super Mario bros clone, due to only being able to attack via jumping on top or throwing things. And the gameplay wouldn't have that Sonic speed which got Sonic and SEGA the popularity they had back then. I believe they did have it where he could run fast, but it wouldn't have been the main focus point. Plus, he didn't have his attitude or style as a rabbit, which basically set himself out from other platformers.

So yeah, if Sonic was a rabbit it probably would've flopped, although if the gameplay was good with the whole grabbing rings with your ears idea, then it might've gotten atleast a small following.

8. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    I think Sega was smart in choosing a hedgehog, at least for the American market. Here there probably wasn't a preconceived image of famous hedgehogs in peoples' heads of which to compare Sonic to, so they could spin him any way they wanted (no pun intended). Where as with a rabbit, you have Bugs Bunny, the Easter Bunny, etc. which aren't really badass like they wanted to make Sonic, in America.

Can't speak for Europe or Japan, of course.

9. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

God I could've made a post about someone who is no longer here. I will refrain. Must.

Well, I dunno, I suppose it'd be like Ristar wouldn't it? The reason why he was given the curling and rolling and thus momentum based physics is because he is a Hedgehog. Apart from that who knows? What would happen if I stepped back in time and controlled flight 77, could I have stopped it crashing in to the Pentagon? Who really knows.

10. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    ...Is this seriously a topic? :v: Anyway, if he was a rabbit, I'd probably still like "Sonic the Rabbit"... but even then that kind of sounds funky. Sonic the Hedgehog sounds cooler. But I doubt the gameplay would change, maybe except for the fact he'd be able to jump higher. Which gives me an idea for a hack...
    If I didn't suck at sprite art, I might make a hack replacing Sonic with a rabbit of some sort. :V
    Also you misspelled "rabbit". xP

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...I don't think the rabbit would have been called Sonic. Maybe Hoppity or Grabby. =P

12. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    And he'd be collecting eggs instead of rings.

13. Oh yeah, didn't see that one. :D

14. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    We already have a platforming game of a pretty fast rabbit; especially considering how he runs and jumps in his second game. I could imagine it might've been similar to this one -except without the gun:

*edit* oh yeah, it was for the PC - and by Epic Games of all game developers!

*edit 2* changed picture, as it seems like someone couldn't see the previous one (unless I'm misreading that post)
    [​IMG]

15. Jazz Jackrabbit?

16. Vangar

Vangar

"http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b4/Jazz_Jackrabbit.jpg" :colbert:

17. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
  18. Lambda

Lambda

The animation while he's running, and how his jump looks if he jumps while running, but the level design and gameplay style is completely different. Even though some of the gimmicks are similar. (The springs, the travel-tubes, shimmy-poles, ect.)

But the addition of the gun, and the complete lack of momentum make this game VASTLY different in almost every way.

19. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    That's because the running animation, gimmicks, etc are basically boosted directly from the Sonic games. The level design is completely different partly because it uses small tiles instead of huge ones like the Sonic games. Personally, I think it feels closer to Kid Chameleon than a Sonic game.

20. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    Sonic 4 should've had the old tubby Oswald-like Sonic with the Pac-man eyes, not this assfaced Bugs Bunny-looking motherfucker with giant droopy ears that look like parachute pants.