Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Mania Plus (Consoles Physical; PC Digital) - Non-Leaks Thread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 75 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Mania Plus (Consoles Physical; PC Digital) - Non-Leaks Thread Mighty and Ray Are Back In Town

#1051 User is offline SuperSnoopy 

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:40 AM

• I prefer Sonic Advance to Sonic 2
  • Project:Learning how to fucking draw
I don't think he's on the development team or anything, iirc he just gave them a hand with the new engine they're using. (but don't quote me on that)

#1052 User is offline Jason 

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:56 AM

• *Results not lab tested.
IIRC he did the initial porting of the FP1 engine to Unity, but I don't think he's full-time staff.

It'd be cool if he and the rest of the Mania team came back to Retro to chat, but they've been MIA for over a year now.

#1053 User is offline XCubed 

Posted 02 December 2018 - 09:51 PM

• Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center
  • Wiki edits:5
Sonic Mania Plus Truffles are now a thing!

https://m.facebook.c...100002615001184

#1054 User is offline iGamr 

Posted 03 December 2018 - 12:11 AM

Make one of those with the game's logo on it and you could briefly confuse it for a Switch cart. :v:

#1055 User is offline Beltway 

Posted 04 December 2018 - 06:29 PM

• Official moneylender for the Coalition of Muslim Drug Dealers
  • Project:college courses and holding crusades against anime trash
(Late) minor sales update, but bad news for Mania Plus in the UK charts.

Three weeks ago it tanked hard in the all-format charts, dropping from 26 to 38 (near bottom of the chart). Worth noting that this week was also the same week the Spyro Re-Ignited Trilogy came out (which topped the charts, and is still in the Top 10 as of this writing), so I wouldn't be surprised if Spryo stole away whatever remaining audience Mania Plus might have had.

The game didn't recover from the drop, as it disappeared from the charts last week and didn't re-appear this week. This was pretty much the last realm of visibility the game had on any retail charts (as it has long disappeared from charts of other PAL territories, died a quick death in Japan's MSC, and never appeared in the US NPD). I haven't really counted to compare the number of weeks / months both games had, but I'm pretty confident Forces had a longer (consecutive) run on the UK charts than Mania Plus did.

I still maintain that in light of the distribution approach they chose, Mania Plus was an attempt by Sega to sell the game to a general audience (rather than strictly targeting Sonic diehards and enthusiasts who wanted a retail version) and I think they failed on that front by not bothering to give Mania Plus any meaningful mainstream advertising (the Mania Adventures shorts and Sonic 1 throwback commercial, while brilliant, were restricted solely to Sega/Sonic-specific avenues, and only available on the internet).

And while it is possible that Sega was presumably planning to save their marketing dollars for Team Sonic Racing this year (which ended up being delayed to 2019....oops), it's worth noting marketing for Sonic games in general during this era seems to have been severely cut down. Mania despite its digital release seemed to ultimately get more promotion than Forces, despite that game previously being touted as the major mainline Sonic release of that year and the one that had a retail presence. In light of that I'm not expecting Sega's approach to promoting Sonic games to improve much --if at all-- when TSR finally releases.

It really says a lot as to whether Sonic can even considered a mainstream series anymore when you're more likely to see Sonic in advertisements for other products rather than advertisements for his own games. And that the last television commercial specifically about the franchise was a promo for the social media accounts that aired on the [adult swim] evening block.

This post has been edited by Yeow: 04 December 2018 - 06:39 PM

#1056 User is online ICEknight 

Posted 15 December 2018 - 11:23 AM

• Wiki edits:18
So... Do we know what this is yet?

View PostICEknight, on 01 August 2018 - 06:14 PM, said:

Posted Image
Is that supposed to be the Titanic Monarch? The fingers and, well, everything else looks kinda different.

#1057 User is offline Hitlersaurus Christ 

Posted 15 December 2018 - 01:01 PM

• Not actually a nazi, possibly the messiah, definitely a dinosaur
  • Project:SNOIC GENERATONS PLUS
It's probably just early concept art for it.

#1058 User is offline biggestsonicfan 

Posted 26 December 2018 - 04:06 PM

• Model2wannaB
  • Project:Formerly Sonic the Fighters
I finally bought this game. It's a mixed bag. Considering the second level is akin to Chemical Plant Zone, I don't expect to progress to much farther than that, as I just game over there in Sonic 2, so I have a very limited perspective on the game. I did not enjoy the strange enhancements to Green Hill Zone, and I take an exceptional distaste to the animated cutscenes. The 3D special zones felt wrong to play and I didn't like getting coins that seemingly wouldn't affect gameplay. Felt the first boss was too difficult for a GHZ boss.

I don't really plan to play it anymore. I guess that's all I have to say then.

#1059 User is online ICEknight 

Posted 26 December 2018 - 05:04 PM

• Wiki edits:18
It gets better.

#1060 User is offline Beltway 

Posted 27 December 2018 - 01:39 PM

• Official moneylender for the Coalition of Muslim Drug Dealers
  • Project:college courses and holding crusades against anime trash
After being shuffled off of the charts, Mania Plus re-surfaced on the UK charts at the near-bottom of the list (#39) three weeks ago. It has since held the #37 spot over the past two weeks.

Looks like the game will be able to hold onto the UK charts heading into the new year.

View Postbiggestsonicfan, on 26 December 2018 - 04:06 PM, said:

I finally bought this game. It's a mixed bag. Considering the second level is akin to Chemical Plant Zone, I don't expect to progress to much farther than that, as I just game over there in Sonic 2, so I have a very limited perspective on the game. I did not enjoy the strange enhancements to Green Hill Zone, and I take an exceptional distaste to the animated cutscenes. The 3D special zones felt wrong to play and I didn't like getting coins that seemingly wouldn't affect gameplay. Felt the first boss was too difficult for a GHZ boss.

Normally I'd suggest to keep playing, so you can at least give the original zones a chance (the first original zone, Studiopolis, comes after Chemical Plant)....

...but if you're going to start your post with "it's a mixed bag" and proceed to not say anything from the game you like(d) or found as a positive, then I doubt you'll like anything else the game will has to offer. :/

#1061 User is offline Fadaway 

Posted 05 January 2019 - 03:28 PM

Leave biggestsonicfan alone. It's a valid opinion. :P

He is, after all, the....bear with me....biggestsonicfan. -catches breath-

I haven't shared my opinions about Mania Plus yet. So, here goes.

I like it. Sonic Mania alone was overall fantastic, but Plus adds an extra dimension to things with the Encore Mode. I, personally, don't think the pallettes in Encore Mode are fantastic, but it gives everything a neat 1990s vibe. I also don't like some of the alt character pallettes in Super Street Fighter II Turbo, but that game rocks anyway, so I can let that type of thing slide quite a bit. Not a biggie. They don't look bad at least.

I was hoping for a lot more, though. More levels for one. Angel Island was a nice touch but felt lifeless compared to the original.

In spite of all this, this is the best Sonic game bar none. Sonic Mania went far and beyond all my expectations. The talent and passion poured into this is evident. The level designs are stellar. The game is very, very fun. At least, to me. The new special stages in Encore Mode are way past sadistic. And, as always, the music....the music....is just, uh, worth every newbie Chemical Plant death. 9.5 out of 10 bottles of sugar cane rhum.

EDIT: Oh, and Ray! Worth it.
This post has been edited by Fadaway: 09 January 2019 - 01:23 AM

#1062 User is offline XCubed 

Posted 08 January 2019 - 12:33 PM

• Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center
  • Wiki edits:5

View Postbiggestsonicfan, on 26 December 2018 - 04:06 PM, said:

Please keep playing! The Death Egg Zone robot no longer has "Touch and Die" feet. At least make it to Press Garden so you can listen to this sweet music in action!....Although FBZ's boss is a complete rule breaking bitch.

#1063 User is offline Creature SH 

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:12 PM

Wha-huh?!

Posted Image

#1064 User is offline 360 

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:21 PM

• Light Vision Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon
Wha huh indeed. Wonder what this is? Surely can't be anything major what with it being half a kilobyte.

#1065 User is offline Master Emerald 

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:25 PM

• Project:-
  • Wiki edits:22

View PostICEknight, on 26 December 2018 - 05:04 PM, said:

It gets better.

Oh come on, he didn't like Green Hill and that's one of the less 'complainable' levels in the game lol.

• 75 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users