Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sega Forever - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 16 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sega Forever

#1 User is offline High Fidelity 

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:53 AM

??

This post has been edited by High Fidelity: 14 June 2017 - 10:54 AM

#2 User is offline LowSeasCaroz 

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:16 AM

• Project:Desperately trying to make a Turrican clone
There's this puzzling "SEGA Forever" twitter account, it only has two tweets right now: First one was a few days ago, it was retweeted by the official SEGA twitter. All the tweet contained was a GIF of the Comix Zone SEGA logo and "Test one, two...".

An hour ago, there was this second tweet, with this picture of a SG-1000 console:

Posted Image

...and Japanese text, which translates to: "A lot of fun games! #segaforever"

Mobile ports of old Sega games, I presume?

#3 User is offline High Fidelity 

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:35 AM

View PostLowSeasCaroz, on 14 June 2017 - 11:16 AM, said:

...Mobile ports of old Sega games, I presume?

Yeah, I think so. I doubt it'll be similar to how they release mobile games currently though, might be some sort of subscription thing

#4 User is offline ccateni 

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:47 PM

View PostHigh Fidelity, on 14 June 2017 - 10:53 AM, said:

??

Speaking of that video, it had music from Genesis games, and had some writing included in that package saying that Sega forever was on mobile, but will it be on PC and consoles too? I can only hope, it would be awesome to have a subscription service where I can play any Sega game from any Sega system, anytime, anywhere, on any console.

#5 User is offline High Fidelity 

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:22 PM

View Postccateni, on 14 June 2017 - 12:47 PM, said:

View PostHigh Fidelity, on 14 June 2017 - 10:53 AM, said:

??

Speaking of that video, it had music from Genesis games, and had some writing included in that package saying that Sega forever was on mobile, but will it be on PC and consoles too? I can only hope, it would be awesome to have a subscription service where I can play any Sega game from any Sega system, anytime, anywhere, on any console.

Who knows... might not be a subscription thing. Would be cool if it was like an emulator, where you pay for a 'console app' and get classic games for that console.

#6 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:30 PM

• Wiki edits:18
I hope they're not ilegally using Libretro's Genesis Plus GX module for this as it looks like they may be doing with their new retro Mega Drive console.

#7 User is offline High Fidelity 

Posted 15 June 2017 - 04:41 AM

View PostICEknight, on 14 June 2017 - 09:30 PM, said:

I hope they're not ilegally using Libretro's Genesis Plus GX module for this as it looks like they may be doing with their new retro Mega Drive console.

Definitely. In the music production world more and more new synths are using component modelling technology to recreate classic synths down to the component level.

I know there is a nes/snes (Analogue Nt mini?) that uses this approach so hopeful we will see more of this for future emulation.

#8 User is offline Lodmot 

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:55 AM

• Project:Xtremely Sonic Engine
Sega Forever is also on Facebook now, and it's a verified account too:

https://www.facebook.com/SEGAForever/

It also provides a couple more clues. o u o

#9 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:07 AM

• NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev
  • Wiki edits:9
I've been reading that this might be a stolen version of libRetro, and that the libRetro team even pitched this to Sega themselves. If this is true, that is extremely scummy and I'll be super disappointed in sega, and won't be using this product.

EDIT: IMO, that puts them on the same scummy level as HyperKin. IMO, given the history of this community, we should support emulation efforts that endorses the GPL V2 and push back against companies who choose to ignore copyright law because they expect no recourse.
This post has been edited by Cooljerk: 15 June 2017 - 08:10 AM

#10 User is offline Lodmot 

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:17 AM

• Project:Xtremely Sonic Engine

View PostCooljerk, on 15 June 2017 - 08:07 AM, said:

I've been reading that this might be a stolen version of libRetro, and that the libRetro team even pitched this to Sega themselves. If this is true, that is extremely scummy and I'll be super disappointed in sega, and won't be using this product.

EDIT: IMO, that puts them on the same scummy level as HyperKin. IMO, given the history of this community, we should support emulation efforts that endorses the GPL V2 and push back against companies who choose to ignore copyright law because they expect no recourse.

I would find it kinda ironic that Sega stole the source code to one of the emulators that basically enables piracy of Sega Genesis games. xD
This post has been edited by Lodmot: 15 June 2017 - 09:20 AM

#11 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:23 AM

• maybe she's born with it
  • Project:maybe it's maybelline
  • Wiki edits:20,569
You have good taste in YouTube channels.

and so do I

#12 User is offline LowSeasCaroz 

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:32 AM

Uhm...

Is there any solid proof for this or are you just speculating and making assumptions?
Just saying "Oh they will steal the emulator code and we should boycott SEGA and yo fuck SEGA amiright" before we even know anything other than "You'll be able to play Comix Zone and SG-1000 games maybe" seems kinda dickish.

#13 User is offline Covarr 

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:45 AM

• Sentient Cash Register
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostLowSeasCaroz, on 15 June 2017 - 11:32 AM, said:

Is there any solid proof for this or are you just speculating and making assumptions?

More than plain speculation and assumptions, less than solid proof.

GBATemp thread
This post has been edited by Covarr: 15 June 2017 - 12:29 PM

#14 User is offline LowSeasCaroz 

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:17 PM

More than plain speculation and assumptions, less than solid proof.

https://gbatemp.net/...-4#post-7383318

But that's about the new AtGames console, and AtGames is just doing stuff under SEGA's license. Maybe I'm wrong, and this is AtG going digital with their Sega stuff, but there's no proof at all for that.

We know NOTHING about features, details on what "SEGA Forever" is even going to be, etc.

#15 User is offline Lanzer 

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:22 PM

• The saber calls for its master...
  • Project:Doing Stuff.
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostCooljerk, on 15 June 2017 - 08:07 AM, said:

Looked into this. talking about these tweets right?

https://twitter.com/...282081533087744

https://twitter.com/...282177989509120

https://twitter.com/...282901213351936

https://twitter.com/...284064012816386

https://twitter.com/...285169396486145

https://twitter.com/...289108594470914

And when responding to a retweet about this He posted a lengthy post about Atgames shitty behind the scenes stuff too:
https://gbatemp.net/...d.473709/page-4

• 16 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users