Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC) - WARNING, SPOILERS - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 661 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC) - WARNING, SPOILERS Developed by Christian Whitehead, Headcannon and PagodaWest

#3226 User is offline DigitalDuck 

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:02 PM

• Arriving four years late.
  • Project:TurBoa, S1RL
I don't see a problem with four buttons acting as a D-pad - the Razer Serval is my go-to controller and it has the same setup, and I've never had any problems playing a Sonic game with it.

#3227 User is offline 360 

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:05 PM

• Daft Punk Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon
I'm pretty confident they'll hit their Spring 2017 release date. Mania already looked quite far along during its reveal and we know that multiple zones are already completed (Studiopolis, Mirage Saloon and very probably GHZ). It wouldn't break my heart if it gets delayed especially with Sega's new quality first ethos but I'd be very surprised if such a delay is announced. It's a small game from a small team and nothing on the level of Project Sonic 2017 so I'm confident it's still on target.

Hopefully in the upcoming event TimmiT mentioned we'll get a hard release date.

#3228 User is offline Yeow 

Posted 13 February 2017 - 04:22 PM

• Official moneylender for the Coalition of Muslim Drug Dealers
  • Project:college courses and holding crusades against anime trash

View Postbig smile, on 13 February 2017 - 02:29 PM, said:

I personally hope they don't rush the game just to meet the "Spring 2017" line from the trailer. If it needs more time, then I'm happy to wait, even if it means it comes out at Xmas.

Although Stealth posted he got a contract job in Dec 15, which I'm guessing was Mania, so the game should have had a over a year and a bit of Dev time by the end of spring, which is a good sign that Sega isn't rushing things (I think, I don't really know much about development schedules).

Considering how Rise of Lyric was widely panned across the board, rushing Mania would be a big blow to their credibility when they said they wouldn't be prioritizing shipping dates over quality assurance anymore. That and Rise of Lyric was also a special mess of a game regarding its development; and they were reflected in the product's pre-release material (screenshots, footage of gameplay demos, demo impressions). Mania is nowhere near comparable.

But with that said...

View PostAshram, on 13 February 2017 - 11:02 AM, said:

Damn, they're gonna be revealing new shit for Mania in mid-March. That "Spring 2017" release date is looking further and further away.

Pretty much have the same thoughts too, and this is a main reason I consider myself in the camp that's baffled by the "no new info" comments. I partially get it in the sentiment of levels/zones (at least one more "remixed" zone would be fine to me, though I agree with tokumaru's sentiments that just having small clips/screenshots of zones wouldn't be a bad thing). But we haven't really been told much about anything else about the game. Gameplay modes/features (time attack, Bonus Stages, multiplayer, etc.)? The story/narrative (other than "there are reasons" Sonic's going through remixed levels and old levels)? Tweaks, additions, or removals to existing gameplay mechanics? Stories about the game's development?

I've heard talk that suggests that Mania's release is right around the corner ("in a few weeks" seems to be a popular assertion, presumably because it was revealed be coming to Switch I guess), but it's been almost half a year since the game's unveiling and we don't even have a tentative release month. Mania being revealed to have been delayed into later this year wouldn't surprise me.
This post has been edited by Yeow: 13 February 2017 - 04:27 PM

#3229 User is offline OcelotBot 

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:07 PM

• Scooty-Puff Jr sucks!

View PostYeow, on 13 February 2017 - 04:22 PM, said:

I personally hope they don't rush the game just to meet the "Spring 2017" line from the trailer. If it needs more time, then I'm happy to wait, even if it means it comes out at Xmas.

Although Stealth posted he got a contract job in Dec 15, which I'm guessing was Mania, so the game should have had a over a year and a bit of Dev time by the end of spring, which is a good sign that Sega isn't rushing things (I think, I don't really know much about development schedules).

Considering how Rise of Lyric was widely panned across the board, rushing Mania would be a big blow to their credibility when they said they wouldn't be prioritizing shipping dates over quality assurance anymore. That and Rise of Lyric was also a special mess of a game regarding its development; and they were reflected in the product's pre-release material (screenshots, footage of gameplay demos, demo impressions). Mania is nowhere near comparable.

But with that said...

View PostAshram, on 13 February 2017 - 11:02 AM, said:

Damn, they're gonna be revealing new shit for Mania in mid-March. That "Spring 2017" release date is looking further and further away.

But we haven't really been told much about anything else about the game. Gameplay modes/features (time attack, Bonus Stages, multiplayer, etc.)? The story/narrative (other than "there are reasons" Sonic's going through remixed levels and old levels)? Tweaks, additions, or removals to existing gameplay mechanics? Stories about the game's development?

I've heard talk that suggests that Mania's release is right around the corner ("in a few weeks" seems to be a popular assertion, presumably because it was revealed be coming to Switch I guess), but it's been almost half a year since the game's unveiling and we don't even have a tentative release month. Mania being revealed to have been delayed into later this year wouldn't surprise me.

Mania has a big release-window (March 20th to June 20th) so if they need to delay the game/push it back a few months then there's room to do this without the need to announce game has been delayed. Besides, I see no reason to suggest Mania's behind schedule. I wouldn't expect any info about modes/features until close to release and even then they'll probably want to keep most of it secret, so that there's plenty of surprises for us to discover.

For all we know Mania could be releasing in June. As frustrating as it would be to have to wait another four months, if the end result is an even more polished product, then I can be patient.

My monies on a May release.

Of course if Mania was delayed until later this year, then console ports of the Sonic 1,2 & CD remasters would keep us busy in the meantime :D

#3230 User is offline Stealth 

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:50 PM

• Project:Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
  • Wiki edits:19

That was pretty-much just my announcement that my personal projects (which I had been promoting and updating frequently for a while) would be on sort of hiatus (for good reason), and that I'd be relatively unavailable for a while. The details of sort of thing are generally a bit more complicated than what I can share, so when I say something like that, it's only ever meant to be taken in that context - me, personally, and my own projects :P

#3231 User is offline XCubed 

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:07 PM

• Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center
  • Wiki edits:5

View PostStealth, on 13 February 2017 - 10:50 PM, said:

That was pretty-much just my announcement that my personal projects (which I had been promoting and updating frequently for a while) would be on sort of hiatus (for good reason), and that I'd be relatively unavailable for a while. The details of sort of thing are generally a bit more complicated than what I can share, so when I say something like that, it's only ever meant to be taken in that context - me, personally, and my own projects :P

I love this place. I'm never leaving. I hope my laptop can handle this game. I'm going to potentially purchase either a controller or adapter to play. I'm 30 and I'm excited!

#3232 User is offline TimmiT 

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:21 PM

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Project:Big screenshots
  • Wiki edits:8

View Post360, on 13 February 2017 - 03:05 PM, said:

I'm pretty confident they'll hit their Spring 2017 release date. Mania already looked quite far along during its reveal and we know that multiple zones are already completed (Studiopolis, Mirage Saloon and very probably GHZ). It wouldn't break my heart if it gets delayed especially with Sega's new quality first ethos but I'd be very surprised if such a delay is announced. It's a small game from a small team and nothing on the level of Project Sonic 2017 so I'm confident it's still on target.

Fun fact: often with game development they make a "vertical slice" of stuff they prioritised getting finished so they would have something to show at the game's reveal or at an event.

So in case you think the zones they showed off looking finished indicated Mania being far along when it was revealed: it didn't. Same goes for any game where with the reveal the bit they show looks far along. Often it's the only thing they have that's actually presentable.
This post has been edited by TimmiT: 15 February 2017 - 02:26 PM

#3233 User is offline Sparks 

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:28 PM

• Project:Kyle and Lucy: Wonderworld
  • Wiki edits:21

View PostTimmiT, on 15 February 2017 - 02:21 PM, said:

View Post360, on 13 February 2017 - 03:05 PM, said:

Fun fact: often with game development they make a "vertical slice" of stuff they prioritised getting finished so they would have something to show at the game's reveal or at an event.

So in case you think the zones they showed off looking finished indicated Mania being far along when it was revealed: it didn't. Same goes for any game where with the reveal the bit they show looks far along. Often it's the only thing they have that's actually presentable.
Even Sonic 2 Beta is an example of that; just look how far along zones like Emerald Hill and Chemical Plant were early on compared to zones like Metropolis and Oil Ocean.

#3234 User is offline TheKazeblade 

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:55 PM

• "Our Life is More than a Side-Effect"
Nothing about the SxSW info reveal has done anything to make me presume the release date won't fall into the announced Spring release date. In fact, if anything, I believe the info we learn about Mania WILL be its release date falling either by the end of March or mid-April. Perhaps we'll see a new zone, perhaps not, it's neither here nor there. It makes a lot of sense to announce a release date within a month of it launching to ride the wave of hype. Taxman and Stealth have made it clear time and time again, what we have seen are OLD builds, even the one shown in the janky-looking screenshot of GHZ Act 2.

I have a strong hunch that Sonic 2017 will be the emphasis of the event. Mania is the drawing force to get people in the door, but with Mania's imminent release, they will coast off of its hype to springboard Project 2017's hype train. Then it will have roughly the same amount of time in the limelight before release that Mania did.

#3235 User is offline iGamr 

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:26 PM

View PostTheKazeblade, on 15 February 2017 - 05:55 PM, said:

I have a strong hunch that Sonic 2017 will be the emphasis of the event. Mania is the drawing force to get people in the door, but with Mania's imminent release, they will coast off of its hype to springboard Project 2017's hype train. Then it will have roughly the same amount of time in the limelight before release that Mania did.

I certainly wouldn't mind this (although I probably shouldn't get my hopes up), especially with people saying they've had enough Mania info and don't want to be spoiled any further. Bring on the substantial Project Sonic 2017 information, please. Preferably with gameplay footage.

#3236 User is offline High Fidelity 

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:16 AM

Anyone know a level count for Mania?

#3237 User is offline Icewarrior 

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:55 AM

• I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!!
IIRC, it was said it would be longer than Sonic Generations. Take that as you will :)

#3238 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:18 AM

• Project:Posting a lot (I have a lot of time at work)
  • Wiki edits:10
If it's a 50/50 split between Classic and original levels we're likely seeing 10 levels + some kinda end game boss level.

I think they confirmed that Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles are going to be treated as separate entities this time around, so that, plus Sonic 1, 2, and CD, would make 5 at least.

#3239 User is offline big smile 

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:27 AM

View PostDark Sonic, on 16 February 2017 - 08:18 AM, said:

If it's a 50/50 split between Classic and original levels we're likely seeing 10 levels + some kinda end game boss level.

I think Iizuka said it's not going to be a 50/50 split and there will be more classic levels. However, we've also been told it's a big game and there will be plenty of new content.
This post has been edited by big smile: 16 February 2017 - 09:28 AM

#3240 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:46 AM

• Project:Posting a lot (I have a lot of time at work)
  • Wiki edits:10

View Postbig smile, on 16 February 2017 - 09:27 AM, said:

View PostDark Sonic, on 16 February 2017 - 08:18 AM, said:

I think Iizuka said it's not going to be a 50/50 split and there will be more classic levels. However, we've also been told it's a big game and there will be plenty of new content.

I honestly don't believe a thing that man says at this point. He just says stuff just because.

• 661 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

7 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Bing