Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Adventure 2 Hacking - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 62 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sonic Adventure 2 Hacking Now a general SA2 Hax thread

#916 User is online MainMemory 

Posted 07 June 2017 - 01:45 AM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339

View PostSven Cakemann, on 07 June 2017 - 12:28 AM, said:

View PostShaddy the guy, on 02 June 2017 - 01:31 PM, said:

I mean to say that Sonic's animations were designed around his SA2 Trial shoes, not the clunky giant Soap shoes, so I placed the model files for Trial Sonic in the DC models folder, replacing the DC Sonic that had soap shoes.

And then all the cutscenes crashed, but whatever

Sorry if this is retreading old ground, but what causes the Trial model to crash the cutscenes? I know the PC version has more elegant solutions to the problem but would splicing the two together (so that the trial model has the same bones/animations/etc., whatever it's lacking to cause the crashes) be doable? Most Youtube videos (all... 3 or 4 of them ha) I've seen with the original shoes are all running it through a modloader but is there a more direct approach?

Using the mod loader's file replacement functionality is no different than replacing the files in the main data folder, it's just more convenient. As for "splicing the two together", that is highly unlikely due to the interconnected nature of SA2 character models.
This post has been edited by MainMemory: 07 June 2017 - 01:47 AM

#917 User is offline ultima espio 

Posted 07 June 2017 - 04:38 PM

I think it's because there's not the same amount of textures for the trial model, so the cutscene heads are trying to load a texture that doesn't exist and crashes.

#918 User is online MainMemory 

Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:37 PM

Since I made a Disable Upgrade Models mod for SADX, I decided to re-make the SA2 Disable Upgrade Models mod with the ability to configure which models you want to disable. So here it is.
This post has been edited by MainMemory: 15 June 2017 - 03:37 PM

#919 User is offline Hamzawesome 

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:03 PM

Hello, guys.

In Sonic Adventure 2, I've always hated how the spindash, somersault, light speed dash, and bounce attack were all mapped to a single button, so I'm wondering if it's possible to change that?

Like for example (let's say we're using a 360 controller), X is only for the spindash, B is for the somersault while on the ground and bounce attack while in the air, and Y would be for the light speed dash. A control scheme that is fairly similar to Sonic Generations in a way.

The reason why this mod would be cool is that sometimes while I want to perform the light speed dash in front of a trail of rings, I end up doing the somersault which really messes up my run. It's just something to make the game easier to play.

Also, it would be cool if the same thing could be done in the Chao Garden; a button for holding the Chao, another for petting, and another for whistling. Sonic Adventure 1 did the same thing, not sure why SA2 didn't.

#920 User is offline Hamzawesome 

Posted 30 June 2017 - 11:04 AM

Sorry for double post, but I wanted to ask: Is a 2 player Chao Garden possible?

#921 User is online MainMemory 

Posted 30 June 2017 - 11:18 AM

View PostHamzawesome, on 27 June 2017 - 01:03 PM, said:

Hello, guys.

In Sonic Adventure 2, I've always hated how the spindash, somersault, light speed dash, and bounce attack were all mapped to a single button, so I'm wondering if it's possible to change that?

Like for example (let's say we're using a 360 controller), X is only for the spindash, B is for the somersault while on the ground and bounce attack while in the air, and Y would be for the light speed dash. A control scheme that is fairly similar to Sonic Generations in a way.

The reason why this mod would be cool is that sometimes while I want to perform the light speed dash in front of a trail of rings, I end up doing the somersault which really messes up my run. It's just something to make the game easier to play.

Also, it would be cool if the same thing could be done in the Chao Garden; a button for holding the Chao, another for petting, and another for whistling. Sonic Adventure 1 did the same thing, not sure why SA2 didn't.

What an original concept that nobody else has ever thought of. The problem with this is, with the Y button reserved for the Light Speed Dash, how do you handle the Magic Hands? And what about the various context-sensitive actions, like whistling, Mystic Melody, pick up, put down, throw, grab? And what about characters who aren't Sonic and clones?

View PostHamzawesome, on 30 June 2017 - 11:04 AM, said:

Yes.

#922 User is offline Hamzawesome 

Posted 30 June 2017 - 11:36 AM

View PostMainMemory, on 30 June 2017 - 11:18 AM, said:

View PostHamzawesome, on 27 June 2017 - 01:03 PM, said:

Hello, guys.

What an original concept that nobody else has ever thought of. The problem with this is, with the Y button reserved for the Light Speed Dash, how do you handle the Magic Hands? And what about the various context-sensitive actions, like whistling, Mystic Melody, pick up, put down, throw, grab? And what about characters who aren't Sonic and clones?

View PostHamzawesome, on 30 June 2017 - 11:04 AM, said:

Yes.

Thank you for replying. Now that you mention it, my former post does make things a lot more complicated than they need to be so I'll just forget it.

As for the Chao Garden thing, could you please point me to how I can do that on the Steam version? Again, thanks a lot for your help.

#923 User is online MainMemory 

Posted 30 June 2017 - 01:00 PM

Presently there are two ways to do it, use Cheat Engine (or add a code to Codes.xml) to freeze the current level value to whichever level you want and use the 2P battle menu to start a 2P match; or use the character select mod and hold Start on P2's controller to force P2 to spawn.

#924 User is offline Irixion 

Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:51 PM

• Project:Life
  • Wiki edits:152

View PostMainMemory, on 30 June 2017 - 11:18 AM, said:

Do what 06 did. up and X held down was light dash, just tapping X was ground action, and holding X was spin dash.

#925 User is offline Shaddy the guy 

Posted 01 July 2017 - 08:01 PM

• Head chef at the crap cafe
  • Project:One Piece English filler-free cut
Except that was a terrible control system

Just don't change anything about the Y button. Context sensitive actions usually don't cause misfire problems anyway.

Just, like,
Posted Image

#926 User is offline Sid Starkiller 

Posted 01 July 2017 - 11:22 PM

I always thought Light Dash should be moved to X, but everything else could stay B. The ONLY time I ever had context issues playing SA2 was Light Dash-related.

#927 User is offline Turbohog 

Posted 01 July 2017 - 11:54 PM

• Wiki edits:22
I agree. I think the only action that should be mapped differently is the light dash. I don't think it should share a button with the somersault though. Half the time when I've wanted to light dash Sonic has just done a somersault instead. The ligh dash should either have its own button or share a button with uncommon context actions like the whistle.

I don't think Hamzawesome's question was stupid. Yes, it wasn't an original thought, but I'm not aware of anyone actually making a mod that allows the button mapping to be altered.

Also I hate when the light dash is mapped to the xbox y button. Way too awkward to press quickly for me.

#928 User is offline Morph 

Posted 02 July 2017 - 12:10 AM

• AKA SonicFreak94.
  • Project:SA1/2 hax
  • Wiki edits:11
https://github.com/S...a2-action-remap

Light dash on Y.

#929 User is offline Herm the Germ 

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:16 AM

• Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor!
  • Project:MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
  • Wiki edits:5
And there comes the Saviorph, cool. : 0

Funny thing, though, I never had an issue with expecting Light Dash but getting Sommersault - now Bounce Attacking into a bottomless pit instead of Light Dashing, however…?

#930 User is offline Turbohog 

Posted 02 July 2017 - 06:49 PM

• Wiki edits:22
I can't believe I didn't know about that mod! Thanks Morph. Thanks especially for making it open source; if I find some time, I might try to expand that mod's functionality.

Edit: For those of you who don't know how to build mods, here is a ready to-do download of Morph's light-dash on Y mod.
This post has been edited by Turbohog: 08 July 2017 - 05:11 PM

• 62 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users