don't click here

Introduction to Hex

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Erm... You type it in, dude. You go to where "00 01 D9 78" starts and make sure it reads "00 08 00 00" afterwards, which you can do by using your keyboard to overwrite the values.

If it keeps trying to insert instead of overwrite, hit the insert button first to see if that helps anything.

2. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Actually, looking at his screenshot, it seems to me like he's trying to edit the offset, rather than the pointer. So yeah. lol.

You have to do a search for instances of the address, not go to the offset itself. Do a search for 0001D978 and replace it with 00080000. If you did add the new compressed data to 00080000, it should work.

3. Gibbo

Gibbo

Eggman, Deserving a Game since 1991. Member
    Ellesmere Port, UK
    Learning how to use Game Maker
    But I can't actually click on the text where the pointer is shown and change it. I tried changing 051B to 803A what the new art data started with but it didn't load in the emulator. Its probably very simple but I'm not seeing it right.

4. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    OH, nonononono.

Hit ctrl+F, and search for 0001D978. Click "from beginning" and "find all instances." Then, click on the results in the results menu (at the right), and, at those highlighted offsets in the main editor window, replace them with "00 08 00 00" (assuming you have the view set up like that -- in your case, I believe it would be "0800 0000.")

Seriously, I don't know how I could explain this any better. You do NOT edit the data - only the pointer.