Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic 1 prototype Video (FAKE) - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 26 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic 1 prototype Video (FAKE) This one had some of us going for awhile....

#136 User is offline Dan Lioneye 

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:56 AM

Well as awesome as it looks, the level layout doesn't look "SEGA" to me, looks like it's homemade.

#137 User is offline ashthedragon 

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:05 AM

• Dragon Team
  • Project:Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
Ok, a friend of mine who studies japanese translated what Naka said to me:

"This is a early in development Sonic 1 version, in which I worked on making the multiple scrolls.I Wonder if the rocks and the palmtrees were in those locations. Where did this ROM come from? Ah, the good old days..."

So, naka doubts about this....
This post has been edited by ashthedragon: 07 February 2012 - 11:17 AM

#138 User is offline cornholio857 

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:14 AM

• The Great Cornholio
  • Project:In search of TP

View Postashthedragon, on 07 February 2012 - 11:05 AM, said:

Ok, a friend of mine who knows japanese translated what Naka said to me:

"This is a early in development Sonic 1 version, in which I worked on making the multiple scrolls.I Wonder if the rocks and the palmtrees were in those locations. Where did this ROM come from? Ah, the good days..."

So, naka doubts about this....

Makes sense. I also don't question Naka's response about the rock and palm tree locations. I know it would be hard for me to remember locations of objects from a tech demo made 20+ years ago. Not to mention it has been lost since the early 90's which was when Naka last saw it IIRC.

I also gotta go with Sik on this one. ROM dump will verify if it's legit. A picture of a cart won't prove anything as I can go buy a cheap Genesis game, rip the label off and scribble "Sonic Proto" on it and claim it's legit.

#139 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:30 AM

• Technical Artist
  • Project:Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
I also just spoke with Kazuyuki Hoshino, He says that Naka thinks its the real deal.

#140 User is offline Eduardo Knuckles 

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:30 AM

• Not a loved one, but the most hated person.
  • Project:Sonic Harder Levels
  • Wiki edits:66

View PostEndri, on 06 February 2012 - 07:15 PM, said:

At this point, I'm now actually more interested in how much long does this debate about this hoax being real or not lives on! :v:
Don't call this as hoax, because no one of us are completely sure of if this is or no in fact a hoax or a real video.

#141 User is offline Arique 

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:47 AM

• How do I Sonic?

View PostAndrew75, on 07 February 2012 - 11:30 AM, said:

I also just spoke with Kazuyuki Hoshino, He says that Naka thinks its the real deal.

If this ends up being a hoax then this is gonna go down as being one of the biggest trollfests of the century. But yeah, I really, REALLY hope that this is real. Only way to find out is with a rom dump!

#142 User is offline Sik 

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:49 AM

• Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick".
  • Project:being an asshole =P
  • Wiki edits:11

View PostArique, on 07 February 2012 - 11:47 AM, said:

If this ends up being a hoax then this is gonna go down as being one of the biggest trollfests of the century.
Considering how everybody here thought it was a hoax since the beginning, doubt so. Now, if it's real (doubt so), then it's one of the biggest reverse trollfests of the century instead =S

#143 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:53 AM

• Wiki edits:18
Great, now this shit is corrupting the memories of the original devs. We might as well accept it as real even if it's not, let's change history.

This really sickens me...

#144 User is offline Master Emerald 

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:10 PM

• Project:-
  • Wiki edits:22
Shit you truly think "the original betass more important than the game" srsly, when making a game, what gets scrapped is what's bad! Seeing a beta is interesting. Only interesting, the most important version we already have, Sonic 1 Final!

#145 User is offline Aerosol 

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:16 PM

• FML and FU2
  • Project:Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
You must be new here :v:.

But seriously. Betas give us insight into how things could have been, which to alot of us here, is more interesting than what we have. I mean, we can look at what we have any time we want!

#146 User is offline Sik 

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:17 PM

• Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick".
  • Project:being an asshole =P
  • Wiki edits:11

View PostICEknight, on 07 February 2012 - 11:53 AM, said:

Great, now this shit is corrupting the memories of the original devs. We might as well accept it as real even if it's not, let's change history.

May as well realize that anything you do with the developers at this point will eventually "corrupt" their memory (hint: if it's like that then most likely they already forgot about it for starters so it's already lost).

View PostMaster Emerald, on 07 February 2012 - 12:10 PM, said:

Shit you truly think "the original betass more important than the game" srsly, when making a game, what gets scrapped is what's bad!
Or what started being implemented but took too much time to meet the deadlines so was scrapped, or what was originally implemented that later had to be removed because it interfered with whatever was done later from a technical standpoint, or something the game designers thought was good but the marketing department didn't like...

#147 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:18 PM

• Technical Artist
  • Project:Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
I think enough has been said on the "it could be real or it could be fake side of the topic"
I hope we can keep the topic clean and ready for if real news appears on the subject.
or for if anyone wants to take the time to dissect this and post visual results.

#148 User is offline David The Lurker 

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:01 PM

• For some mysterious reason...
  • Wiki edits:1,239

View PostICEknight, on 07 February 2012 - 11:53 AM, said:

Right..ok. Let's all calm down for a second. Sit down. Take a breath. Everyone ok? Then let's go over this in a very calm and gentle manner.

First off, for anyone who was saying "it's fake!!1!" not because of the content of the video, but because it was a new YouTube account...um...I don't see how that means anything either way? Anyone can make an account at YouTube at any time, why would it have to be from someone established? I mean, yes, you need a healthy dose of skepticism when you hit these waters, but you're going way beyond that level when you question the material for the most arbitrary of reasons.

Now, for me personally, I have doubts about the video for very simple reasons. I don't know the technical ins and outs like Taxman, but I do know what Yuji Naka has said about this previously, and what we have available. At Summer of Sonic, he explained that these images of the Green Hill Zone were from a build that was created for the Tokyo Toy Show in 1990. Now, to me, that says that they really wanted to push certain things, even though they were still way early on in development. For instance, I can see there not being any loops, since we don't know when they finally got that right, and they wouldn't showcase something broken. But the video leaves out some very important things. We don't get to see the title screen. We don't get to see the welcome sign anywhere. If you had not just a prerelease version of Sonic, but THE prerelease, wouldn't you want to start the video from the beginning, and not randomly in the middle of the level? Of course, we're all assuming its the middle, but it could very well be the beginning if it is fake. I also find the fact the level just...ends...rather unsettling.

Unfortunately, we don't know what capacity the game was shown off at within the Tokyo Toy Show. We don't know if it was just being shown on a screen, if people were able to play it, or...what. We have no proper report on it since the only scans we have come from Electronic Gaming Monthly. We don't have any Japanese magazines from the same era, sadly.

...in trying to find the actual article, I just realized that the first image of Sonic just standing about came from issue 13 of EGM, while the one with the sign came from issues 15 or 16. Though when shown both, Naka implied they were from the same build...at the same time, he could have just been telling a story without going specifically off both. Yet both use the same art style, and...well, apparently it was just a case where EGM just showed off that shot with the sign and nothing else? See, we don't know what they were doing in Japan. EGM could have just been "oh we didn't show off this shot we had three months ago." It is frustrating knowing that there are all these uncertainties floating about.

Either way, I'm not going to lie: I don't like the fact that when this topic was put up, everyone's first thought was "contact Yuji Naka!!" Have we all forgotten that the last time Naka looked at any of this was over 20 years ago? Tell me, if I were to show you grainy footage of something you worked on 20 years ago and asked you "hey is this real," what would you say? I have no doubt that if he were to actually play it, he would know instantly if it was his work or not. But Naka wasn't the art guy, he was the programmer. In that tweet, he is questioning placement. He is questioning technical issues. Ohshima might be the better person to ask if the art is authentic, but you know what? We shouldn't bother him. These people have better things to do than deal with a million questions from a bunch of random people. At the very least, it should not be everyone's first course action. Can you imagine if they were as readily available when the Simon Wai beta came out? None of them would be talking right now to us.

View PostMaster Emerald, on 07 February 2012 - 12:10 PM, said:

Shit you truly think "the original betass more important than the game" srsly, when making a game, what gets scrapped is what's bad! Seeing a beta is interesting. Only interesting, the most important version we already have, Sonic 1 Final!

lol do u know where u r

So what you're saying is that you have no interest in the development of the original Sonic the Hedgehog. This isn't as simple as "they took out the bad stuff lol." The reason people get excited about this beta more than any other is because of the primordial nature of it. The earliest, rawest form of Sonic the Hedgehog. Besides, people don't always remove things from the final product because it's "bad." It could be because they ran out of time to work on something. It wasn't working as well as it should have been. They got excited about other ideas and put those concepts on the backburner. It's like a deleted scene in a film. Early versions of games offer a view into the development process. Scrapped level design, early graphics, unused ideas. The final product is only one half of the story. If you like Sonic the Hedgehog enough to post on a message board about it, wouldn't you want to know how your favorite character came to be?

#149 User is offline RGX 

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:21 PM

• Animator
  • Project:Freelance artist for hire.
  • Wiki edits:3
Posted Image

Hey guys. I'm no expert of the specs or limitations of the genesis but do graphics usually cut off when playing? For example, sprites will sometimes be sliced in half? It happens to the trees a few times in the videos.

#150 User is offline SpeedStarTMQ 

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:27 PM

• Wiki edits:5
Still awaiting someone to just out and say that it's blatently obvious that it's a fake and that it's a silly joke, moreso so I can say to everyone "I told you so".

On the topic of the proto version of Sonic 1, surely there must be some video of the game in some format somewhere in the friggin' world- I mean, japanese people at these gameshows surely would have had interviews, and press Q&A's. Somewhere in japan some unsuspecting person has some footage of the actual rom, and it would be amazing to see it.

I honestly doubt that Sonic 1's rom will ever surface. I don't think it exists anymore, I honestly don't. It's a little tiny cartridge in a huge world and 22 years old, something which wasn't even well documented at the time, let alone now. All remnants of it are probably destroyed, and some game companies are known to throw out what they don't need anymore. The fact that Sonic The Hedgehog was such a tightly created game with much less outside view or input than the sequels just diminishes any hope we have. It was probably filed away somewhere and then some huge clearout happened.

It's because of this why bullshit looking fan games like this become so popular in days. People want to believe it's real, despite there being no evidence to suggest so, and evidence strongly showing otherwise.

Even poor Yuji Naka has taken an interest, though at least he doubts the object placement. Yji probably barely remembers anything about it- I hadn't played a Sonic game for a period of 5 years, and I totally forgot myself some major details about the world of Sonic up until I rejoined the scene in 2004, imagine what Yuji's brain is like- what he's looking at probably looks familiar, but at the same time, he probably has no idea of the extent of the Sonic fanbase and the games we've created, so he's probably quite dubious about openly questioning whether it's actually real or fake.

• 26 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users