Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: New CPU Fan? - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

New CPU Fan?

#1 User is offline Jay T. 

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:24 PM

• Mark Nutt~!
So recently, my CPU fan (Hyper Cooler 212 Evo) stopped working. From what I gathered, it might just need some lubrication in the axle, so I'll probably buy some super lube machine oil in the morning. The good news though is that I found an old CPU case fan as a replacement and it's doing it's job, surprisingly. However, just in case I need to buy a new fan, I want to be sure on what kind to get. I have heard good things with ones such as Noctua NF-F12, but I want to hear your opinion on which fan do you think I should consider buying.
This post has been edited by Jay T.: 10 September 2014 - 11:43 PM

#2 User is offline winterhell 

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:02 AM

Funny, this is exactly my setup. Noctua fan slapped onto Cooler Master 212. Works ok I guess. Was able to OC i5 2500K to 5.0GHz stable.

#3 User is offline Jay T. 

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:45 AM

• Mark Nutt~!

View Postwinterhell, on 11 September 2014 - 01:02 AM, said:

Funny, this is exactly my setup. Noctua fan slapped onto Cooler Master 212. Works ok I guess. Was able to OC i5 2500K to 5.0GHz stable.

Doing a Google search, it seems like Noctua fans are the go-to fan for replacing or adding on the Hyper Cooler 212. People are saying that Noctua fans are good, and looking on Newegg, the fan and heatsink combination are expensive, but the fans are easy to afford. I don't think I'll be overclocking anytime soon though. Have no reason to at the moment. Good to hear though that the combination is working.
This post has been edited by Jay T.: 11 September 2014 - 07:21 AM

#4 User is offline winterhell 

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:42 AM

The Noctua fans are also super silent, I have couple of them. They also draw less power for the same air flow/pressure than many other fans, which is possibly explained due to lower air turbulence and bearing friction.

#5 User is offline Jay T. 

Posted 11 September 2014 - 02:40 PM

• Mark Nutt~!

View Postwinterhell, on 11 September 2014 - 08:42 AM, said:

The Noctua fans are also super silent, I have couple of them. They also draw less power for the same air flow/pressure than many other fans, which is possibly explained due to lower air turbulence and bearing friction.

Maybe I should consider getting one then. I still need to get the machine oil, but even if I get my Cooler Master fan working again, no harm in getting a new fan. In fact, what I probably could do is put the Noctua on the heatsink and place the Cooler Master on the side (I have a NZXT Apollo Case). If anyone has any other fan suggestions rather than the linked above, let me know. I might try ordering the fan either today or tomorrow.
This post has been edited by Jay T.: 11 September 2014 - 03:10 PM

#6 User is offline Lobotomy 

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:49 PM

• 35% Cognac
  • Project:Project: Matter/Energy
  • Wiki edits:94
I have a Corsair H80i. Cost me $70 and keeps my CPU at 40C at 4.5ghz. (Core i7 920)

#7 User is offline Meat Miracle 

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:34 PM

• Wiki edits:2
Noctua fans are awesome, but extremely expensive. Also, remember that they have three different 12cm fans, one optimized for airflow (for case fans), one optimized for pressure (for heatsinks), and one jack of all trades, which is good for both purposes but not great for either.

I'm kind of leaning towards using those fixed waterblocks nowadays, since cpu coolers started becoming ridiculously oversized blocks of metal (I'm also using the 212 evo).
If only those waterblock coolers weren't so expensive.

#8 User is offline Jay T. 

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:49 PM

• Mark Nutt~!
I forgot about this topic. I went ahead and bought the Noctua NF-F12, and it's doing its job pretty well. I was surprised to get my CPU (Phenom II X4 955 BE) temperatures below 40C (Even now), and sometimes lower than 35C, depending on the air in the room. Water cooling does sound neat, but as Meat Miracle says, it's pretty expensive. I'd probably wait until I upgrade my computer again. Probably gonna get a new Motherboard, RAM, and maybe a case. Not sure yet.

Thanks!
This post has been edited by Jay T.: 06 October 2014 - 03:50 PM

Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users