Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC) - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Jump to content

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 730 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • 728
  • 729
  • 730
    Locked
    Locked Forum

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC) Developed by Christian Whitehead, Headcannon and PagodaWest

#10936 User is online Dark Sonic 

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:12 AM

  • Posts: 11336
  • Joined: 21-April 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10

View PostSlingerland, on 24 February 2018 - 02:24 AM, said:

With most of the levels in the game, I hear or read a 50/50 love/hate with them so it all becomes like... white noise to me, cuzzles.

I can only imagine, but you guys did a great job. I can't even really say I hate any of the levels, just that I like some of them less. Even with the remixed zones I can't really think of one where I preferred the original zone over the new one.

#10937 User is offline HP Zoner 

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:33 AM

  • Posts: 90
  • Joined: 19-July 14
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:127.0.0.1
  • Project:Crash Mania
Ditto. It was especially refreshing to see levels I didn't like before (Flying Battery, Metallic Madness) have such fun designs. FBZ2 is one of my favorite levels in the game, despite the wonky spider boss.

Level preferences are always going to be divisive, but you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who enjoys Sonic and doesn't like Mania. I think that's what matters most.

#10938 User is offline Blue Blood 

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:43 AM

  • Posts: 4450
  • Joined: 15-January 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:6
There are three types of levels in Mania - those that I love, those I like a lot and Mirage Saloon Act 1 Sonic/Tails. The "worst" that the game has to offer is still pretty brilliant, with the only level I dislike being MSZ1 because it's just another Sky Chase. I get that Sky Chase was iconic in S2 and MSZ1 is shorter, faster and a little more varied that it was, but honestly it's just not a particularly fun concept. I'm really glad that Knuckles' alternative version of the act is one of the more unique and enjoyable. Other than that one stage though, everything is great. While the game has it's slower levels and faster levels, it's generally a lot more balanced than any of the Classics, without big chunks of the game sticking out as less enjoyable than others. It's much more consistent within it's platforming style while still managing to keep things varied with level design and gimmicks being so well thought-out.
This post has been edited by Blue Blood: 25 February 2018 - 11:07 AM

#10939 User is online Sparks 

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:56 AM

  • Posts: 2972
  • Joined: 27-June 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Kyle and Lucy: Wonderworld
  • Wiki edits:21
I've had at least a couple of friends lament how they hated Metallic Madness in Sonic CD, but then found it to be one of their favorite levels in Sonic Mania. :v:

#10940 User is offline Sid Starkiller 

Posted 25 February 2018 - 12:21 PM

  • Posts: 129
  • Joined: 25-February 13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Virginia, USA

View PostSparks, on 25 February 2018 - 11:56 AM, said:

I've had at least a couple of friends lament how they hated Metallic Madness in Sonic CD, but then found it to be one of their favorite levels in Sonic Mania. :v:/>

I felt the same about Oil Ocean.

#10941 User is offline Blue Blood 

Posted 25 February 2018 - 12:31 PM

  • Posts: 4450
  • Joined: 15-January 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:6

View PostSparks, on 25 February 2018 - 11:56 AM, said:

I've had at least a couple of friends lament how they hated Metallic Madness in Sonic CD, but then found it to be one of their favorite levels in Sonic Mania. :v:/>/>

Can't argue with that. MMZ is fun from start to finish. Music probably has a lot to do with it it though, because it's just so bloody sexy.

This post has been edited by Blue Blood: 25 February 2018 - 12:35 PM

#10942 User is offline Crappy Blue Luigi 

Posted 25 February 2018 - 12:48 PM

  • just a blue bud
  • Posts: 674
  • Joined: 14-March 09
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Vera City
  • Wiki edits:2

View PostSid Starkiller, on 25 February 2018 - 12:21 PM, said:

View PostSparks, on 25 February 2018 - 11:56 AM, said:

I've had at least a couple of friends lament how they hated Metallic Madness in Sonic CD, but then found it to be one of their favorite levels in Sonic Mania. :v:

I felt the same about Oil Ocean.

Same on both fronts. Metallic Madness and Oil Ocean are in my top three and top five zones in this game, respectively; in the original games... Well, I didn't hate either of them, but I'd still call Metallic Madness Act 2 my least favorite part of Sonic CD, and I never cared even an ounce for Oil Ocean.

Honestly, I'd put Stardust Speedway in a similar camp as those two. I think the two CD zones in Mania fare incredibly well because they maintain the identity, aesthetics, and notable setpieces/gimmicks of both zones while giving them level design that flows better, setpiece use that's more memorable, and gimmicks that are programmed better. (Anyone remember how wonky the tube sections in the original Stardust Speedway felt? It was really... not good!!)

#10943 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 25 February 2018 - 01:13 PM

  • Posts: 10794
  • Joined: 11-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Spain
  • Wiki edits:18

View PostSlingerland, on 24 February 2018 - 02:24 AM, said:

With most of the levels in the game, I hear or read a 50/50 love/hate with them so it all becomes like... white noise to me, cuzzles.

Try to split the opinions between classic and modern Sonic fans and you may get some useful feedback.


EDIT: Just in case that whatever Plus is includes level fixes, here's a mistake that was made in Green Hill when revising the "behind waterfall" tiles:
Posted Image
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 25 February 2018 - 02:33 PM

#10944 User is offline 360 

Posted 25 February 2018 - 05:36 PM

  • Light Vision Overdrive
  • Posts: 1878
  • Joined: 22-September 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Project:Sonic Neon

View PostSparks, on 22 February 2018 - 07:52 PM, said:

Also, can't help but notice Taxman and co have been fairly quiet lately. :tinfoil:


Yeah this is notable and interesting. I've mentioned it previously in this thread, but basically both Taxman and Stealth went unusually quiet around late October time when Taxman stated (in that Rolling Stone interview) he had upcoming "discussions with Sega" scheduled for around then and Stealth seemed to be focusing on his original game (as seen via late October updates to his Patreon) and then both of them went silent and not a peep from them both since. Stealth even stopped updating his Patreon as though he was (presumably) busy working on something else. If we go with the simplest explanation it's very likely they're both working on Sonic Mania Plus and thus can't speak out about anything just yet.

SXSW is rapidly approaching (2.5 weeks away) and if the silence is going to break it'll be there where we'll hopefully get a Sonic Mania Plus announcement.

EDIT: Appreciate your appearance in the thread Slingerland! Your level design work on Mania was fucking exceptional and awesome. Excellent work man.
This post has been edited by 360: 25 February 2018 - 05:38 PM

#10945 User is offline DigitalDuck 

Posted 27 February 2018 - 05:24 PM

  • Arriving four years late.
  • Posts: 4647
  • Joined: 23-June 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lincs, UK
  • Project:TurBoa, S1RL
I thought most of the level designs were pretty mediocre personally, with only Lava Reef being a standout (but what a standout it was). I'd hope a sequel isn't as automated.

#10946 User is offline Retroman 

Posted 27 February 2018 - 10:58 PM

  • XD
  • Posts: 667
  • Joined: 18-September 09
  • Gender:Male
Has Project+ been scheduled to be officially announced? I can't wait :)

#10947 User is offline 360 

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:14 AM

  • Light Vision Overdrive
  • Posts: 1878
  • Joined: 22-September 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Project:Sonic Neon

View PostRetroman, on 27 February 2018 - 10:58 PM, said:

Has Project+ been scheduled to be officially announced? I can't wait :)


Nothing's been officially confirmed or scheduled yet - the project's existence hasn't even been acknowledged outside of the development branch leak on Steam. That said SXSW is 2 weeks away now on March 16 and we've been promised world-exclusive announcements and a look at what's next for Sonic, at a dedicated game show meaning game announcements, so if Project Plus is going to be announced anywhere it's going to be there. Taxman had those discussions with Sega in October where presumably Sonic Mania and its success were conversed about and then rather tellingly him and Stealth both went dark around late October time with not a peep since with Stealth even halting work on his own original project so everything lines up with them working on Project Plus for the last ~5 months with an announcement very probably coming at SXSW.

This is all speculation until we hear otherwise but I'd say there's a good chance Project Plus (and Sumo's Sonic racer) will be revealed at the show. Here's hoping.

#10948 User is offline LukyHRE 

Posted 28 February 2018 - 01:09 AM

  • The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar
  • Posts: 342
  • Joined: 01-November 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Project:Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
  • Wiki edits:2

View Post360, on 28 February 2018 - 12:14 AM, said:

View PostRetroman, on 27 February 2018 - 10:58 PM, said:

Has Project+ been scheduled to be officially announced? I can't wait :)/>


Nothing's been officially confirmed or scheduled yet - the project's existence hasn't even been acknowledged outside of the development branch leak on Steam. That said SXSW is 2 weeks away now on March 16 and we've been promised world-exclusive announcements and a look at what's next for Sonic, at a dedicated game show meaning game announcements, so if Project Plus is going to be announced anywhere it's going to be there. Taxman had those discussions with Sega in October where presumably Sonic Mania and its success were conversed about and then rather tellingly him and Stealth both went dark around late October time with not a peep since with Stealth even halting work on his own original project so everything lines up with them working on Project Plus for the last ~5 months with an announcement very probably coming at SXSW.

This is all speculation until we hear otherwise but I'd say there's a good chance Project Plus (and Sumo's Sonic racer) will be revealed at the show. Here's hoping.


It's worth noting that, while there wasn't any acknowledgment or confirmation, there was no denial either. And Sega (and the devs) were quick to refute any fake or hoax info in the past.

#10949 User is offline 360 

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:30 PM

  • Light Vision Overdrive
  • Posts: 1878
  • Joined: 22-September 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Project:Sonic Neon

View PostLukyHRE, on 28 February 2018 - 01:09 AM, said:

It's worth noting that, while there wasn't any acknowledgment or confirmation, there was no denial either. And Sega (and the devs) were quick to refute any fake or hoax info in the past.


Yeah this is super important and I'm glad you mentioned it. Aaron has been super quick to shoot down fake rumours and projects that don't exist - most recently the Sonic Heroes remake and a new Racing Transformed game, whilst Taxman usually speaks out (on Sonic Retro even) to say if something is fake. I remember when fake screenshots were posted of Mania before release and he was very swift and at liberty to shoot them down indicating he has the same refutation power Aaron has. So this is important - both Sega and the devs would have shot this down by now if it didn't exist - and it's really telling and promising that they haven't. To be perfectly honest, the Steam branch leak is near-confirmation that this is actually a thing and does exist. We're just in the dark as to how extensive it's going to be.

SXSW can't come soon enough. I'm really looking forward to it. An enhanced version of Mania with potentially new levels and a new Sonic Racer from the gods at Sumo sounds fucking fantastic.
This post has been edited by 360: 28 February 2018 - 03:32 PM

#10950 User is offline ApocalypticSalad 

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:04 PM

  • Posts: 247
  • Joined: 13-March 17
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Sonic Mania Hype Train

View Post360, on 28 February 2018 - 03:30 PM, said:

View PostLukyHRE, on 28 February 2018 - 01:09 AM, said:

It's worth noting that, while there wasn't any acknowledgment or confirmation, there was no denial either. And Sega (and the devs) were quick to refute any fake or hoax info in the past.


Yeah this is super important and I'm glad you mentioned it. Aaron has been super quick to shoot down fake rumours and projects that don't exist - most recently the Sonic Heroes remake and a new Racing Transformed game, whilst Taxman usually speaks out (on Sonic Retro even) to say if something is fake. I remember when fake screenshots were posted of Mania before release and he was very swift and at liberty to shoot them down indicating he has the same refutation power Aaron has. So this is important - both Sega and the devs would have shot this down by now if it didn't exist - and it's really telling and promising that they haven't.

Following on from this, something Stealth said when he initially got the Mania contract, when asked if his big secret contract project was a S3K remaster:

Stealth said:


They're not allowed to lie and deny rumours of things that are actually true, so the silence is indeed telling.

  • 730 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • 728
  • 729
  • 730
    Locked
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users