Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Hacking Sonic Adventure DX on Steam - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...

Page 1 of 1

Hacking Sonic Adventure DX on Steam

#1 User is offline Laura 

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:38 AM

• Brightened Eyes
I have no idea what to do on this matter so I figured you guys would have the answer!

I got Sonic Adventure DX on Steam (part of a Sonic collection) and was wondering if it is possible to mod it. I'm not talking huge mods here, just simple character swaps (say play as Tails in Sonic's levels).

I've become aware that the trainers, such as MainMemory's, don't work with the Steam version. Is there any patch that fixes this? I downloaded a patch that reverts the game back to the original pc version (which should be moddable) but I can't run in in windowed mode so I can't use the trainers.

Is there any way to fix this, or does Steam SADX and mods simply not mix.

Here's the patch I used:

https://www.youtube....h?v=xd4dKWIarbI

https://www.youtube....h?v=y48vEj0p4jI

#2 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:23 PM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
As I've said before, I am unwilling to do any research into the Steam version. As for your fullscreen problem, it should be as simple as setting "screen" to 0 in sonicDX.ini, or using the SADX Mod Manager's config editor.

#3 User is offline Laura 

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:47 PM

• Brightened Eyes
I need a US Sonic Adventure DX exe to use your lovely little Mod Loader programme.

Any idea where that is D:

Sorry, found it in one of your old posts on this thread: http://forums.sonicr...showtopic=31836 (first page for anyone possibly reading this). Everything is fixed and working now, I can hack SADX Steam!

MainMemory, you are a true hero of the Sonic fandom!
This post has been edited by Laura: 17 April 2014 - 04:53 PM

#4 User is offline iGamr 

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:53 PM

View PostMainMemory, on 17 April 2014 - 04:23 PM, said:

As I've said before, I am unwilling to do any research into the Steam version.

A bit of a shame, given that the Steam version somehow manages to be the one in more dire need of fixing up.

#5 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:02 PM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
That's... kind of the reason why I'm not touching it? Aside from the tediousness of doing all the research over again.

#6 User is offline Trunks 

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:14 PM

• AGAIN TRY
  • Project:Sure to be Ban'd, The Bancast, Trunks & Soto, iLove
  • Wiki edits:30
It'd be great if there were a little utility that compares the files from the Steam version to the old PC version, then just converts the whole thing over to the old PC version. I wonder how big a content patch that'd be.

#7 User is offline muteKi 

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:01 PM

• Fuck it
  • Wiki edits:91

View PostiGamr, on 21 April 2014 - 03:53 PM, said:

View PostMainMemory, on 17 April 2014 - 04:23 PM, said:

As I've said before, I am unwilling to do any research into the Steam version.

A bit of a shame, given that the Steam version somehow manages to be the one in more dire need of fixing up.

I disagree -- the biggest flaw unique the Steam version are mostly along the lines of resolution -- the music is all ADX (finally) and some of the shaders that were missing in the older version have made it in (the cave in Lost World is sufficiently dark!). Furthermore, it renders in windowed mode correctly without hacks and doesn't crash when switched away from in fullscreen. Sure, there seems to be some missing chao data, too, but is this really that much of an issue?

Sure, the lack of support for controllers that aren't XInput is disappointing, but using x360ce is not a much more inelegant solution than the workarounds necessary to use an XInput controller in the older version (which didn't even implement the x-axis camera control outside of the keyboard controls).
This post has been edited by muteKi: 22 April 2014 - 10:01 PM

#8 User is offline Laura 

Posted Today, 06:45 AM

• Brightened Eyes
There's quite a simple patch you can get online that essentially turns the Steam SADX into the old PC version.

Since it's so easy to convert the Steam version I don't really think that it's worth MainMemory's time to start from scratch hacking the Steam version.

It's annoying with the music, but, oh well.

Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users