Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Dreamcast mods for SADX - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 14 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Dreamcast mods for SADX DC Branding, textures, level ports, lighting research, etc.

#196 User is offline PkR 

Posted 06 November 2017 - 05:45 PM

• Project:SADX Dreamcast Conversion, The Emeralds' Awakening
I've launched the SADX Sins blog, a comprehensive guide on changes in SADX that can be considered downgrades from the original Dreamcast version. At the moment all Action Stages and Adventure Fields are covered, as well as character models and some general aspects of the game such as lighting, texture and sound quality, transparency problems etc.
Sections on bosses, sub games and the Chao Gardens will be up sometime soon.
The blog posts are written for a general audience. You don't have to be a hacker to understand this stuff, and many of you won't learn anything new from this blog, but at least I hope you find it entertaining. There are also some (easy) technical explanations on what I think happened with transparency, lighting and textures in SADX.
Let me know what you think, especially if you have any corrections or want to add something to what's already there!

#197 User is offline itsstillthinking 

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:30 PM

• Project:Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 Dreamcast Website, Sega Saturn Netlink Voip
Very nice! i myself will always prefer the original Dreamcast release but this is really cool

#198 User is offline Blue Spikeball 

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:15 PM

View PostPkR, on 06 November 2017 - 05:45 PM, said:

I've launched the SADX Sins blog, a comprehensive guide on changes in SADX that can be considered downgrades from the original Dreamcast version. At the moment all Action Stages and Adventure Fields are covered, as well as character models and some general aspects of the game such as lighting, texture and sound quality, transparency problems etc.
Sections on bosses, sub games and the Chao Gardens will be up sometime soon.
The blog posts are written for a general audience. You don't have to be a hacker to understand this stuff, and many of you won't learn anything new from this blog, but at least I hope you find it entertaining. There are also some (easy) technical explanations on what I think happened with transparency, lighting and textures in SADX.
Let me know what you think, especially if you have any corrections or want to add something to what's already there!

Nice. Learning about the many downgrades brought by SADX that I've missed should make me appreciate the Dreamcast version and the conversion mods even more. Plus it should be an interesting read.

#199 User is offline Strife 

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:54 PM

• Project:Freedom Planet 2
Cool stuff! Definitely more comprehensive than the article on The Cutting Room Floor comparing port differences.

I always preferred the DX models but I'm surprised at how many visual effects got borked or removed during the upgrade process. Perhaps modding in some edited DX models can restore some of the lost effects?

• 14 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users