Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: New Sonic 2 beta! - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Jump to content

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 5 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • Last ►
    Locked
    Locked Forum

New Sonic 2 beta!

#16 User is offline Varion Icaria 

Posted 14 February 2019 - 04:09 PM

  • He's waiting....
  • Posts: 1010
  • Joined: 26-August 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:S4: Cybernetic Outbreak
  • Wiki edits:1
Well well this is wonderful news. Hopefully we can find something fun inside.

#17 User is offline GerbilSoft 

Posted 14 February 2019 - 04:28 PM

  • RickRotate'd.
  • Posts: 2846
  • Joined: 11-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:USA
  • Project:Gens/GS
  • Wiki edits:5,000 + one spin

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 14 February 2019 - 03:41 PM, said:

View PostHez, on 14 February 2019 - 02:28 PM, said:

So where in the timeline of betas is this? Somewhere between the betas that were closer to the final DRX released a few years back? Or is it before those?

Nick Arcade
Simon Wai
This
Betas 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Final

And there's at least two public builds out there between the Simon Wai prototype and this new one, because they were featured in magazines.

In between Simon Wai and the CENSOR prototype is one with the final title card format that shows "Neo Green H*** Zone" for Aquatic Ruin:

Posted Image

The CENSOR prototype has "Aquatic Ruin" as the title card.

#18 User is offline BSonirachi 

Posted 14 February 2019 - 04:34 PM

  • Opa-Opa takes flight!
  • Posts: 153
  • Joined: 18-December 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Wiki edits:17

View PostGerbilSoft, on 14 February 2019 - 04:28 PM, said:

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 14 February 2019 - 03:41 PM, said:

View PostHez, on 14 February 2019 - 02:28 PM, said:

So where in the timeline of betas is this? Somewhere between the betas that were closer to the final DRX released a few years back? Or is it before those?

Nick Arcade
Simon Wai
This
Betas 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Final

And there's at least two public builds out there between the Simon Wai prototype and this new one, because they were featured in magazines.

In between Simon Wai and the CENSOR prototype is one with the final title card format that shows "Neo Green H*** Zone" for Aquatic Ruin:

Posted Image

The CENSOR prototype has "Aquatic Ruin" as the title card.

And what might come at the same time as or before the build in that screenshot is the one in Gamesmaster's preview:


#19 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 14 February 2019 - 04:51 PM

  • match up tails to the cards
  • Posts: 4702
  • Joined: 27-December 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northumberland, England
  • Project:you just can't catch 'em, wiggly worms
  • Wiki edits:20,569

View PostGerbilSoft, on 14 February 2019 - 04:28 PM, said:

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 14 February 2019 - 03:41 PM, said:

View PostHez, on 14 February 2019 - 02:28 PM, said:

So where in the timeline of betas is this? Somewhere between the betas that were closer to the final DRX released a few years back? Or is it before those?

Nick Arcade
Simon Wai
This
Betas 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Final

And there's at least two public builds out there between the Simon Wai prototype and this new one, because they were featured in magazines.

In between Simon Wai and the CENSOR prototype is one with the final title card format that shows "Neo Green H*** Zone" for Aquatic Ruin:

The CENSOR prototype has "Aquatic Ruin" as the title card.


Not that I'm surprised that drx is still finding builds, but I think there are two of interest:

Posted Image Posted Image

a.k.a. "what does Tails' life icon look like". This CENSOR build doesn't match either of these.

#20 User is offline SparkX 

Posted 14 February 2019 - 05:16 PM

  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: 14-June 16
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Press Garden Zone
  • Project:Sonic Reborn
I remember looking at the Beta 4 topic a few years ago, because of all the stuff that was found in it, makes me wonder if anything from earlier than this build can be dug up in this version, perhaps there's more unused enemy sprites leftover in this build
This post has been edited by SparkX: 14 February 2019 - 05:17 PM

#21 User is offline GerbilSoft 

Posted 14 February 2019 - 05:57 PM

  • RickRotate'd.
  • Posts: 2846
  • Joined: 11-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:USA
  • Project:Gens/GS
  • Wiki edits:5,000 + one spin

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 14 February 2019 - 04:51 PM, said:

Not that I'm surprised that drx is still finding builds, but I think there are two of interest:

Posted Image Posted Image

a.k.a. "what does Tails' life icon look like". This CENSOR build doesn't match either of these.

These both have SCORE in the top part of the HUD (similar to the Simon Wai build), and Tails' life icon says "Sonic" on both; but one has Tails and the other has Sonic...

#22 User is offline Grind Monkee 

Posted 14 February 2019 - 06:31 PM

  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: 01-February 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North East of England
If this happened 13 years ago when I joined this forum, we'd be at 20something pages by now.
Love all of your work though Drx. Always have. Keep fighting the fight for preservation rather than hoarding.

Curious to see what all of the differences are between this and the other betas, although at face level it doesn't seem to be much.

#23 User is offline GoldS 

Posted 14 February 2019 - 06:42 PM

  • Posts: 199
  • Joined: 18-August 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:USA
  • Wiki edits:35
The layouts (Stage and object) from Emerald Hill to Metropolis Zone seem to be identical to Beta 4 (Minus the Chemical Plant Zone loops, of course). Sky Chase Zone has a minor change; after the Wing Fortress flyby, there's two string of four rings each followed by another string of four rings before reaching the stack of Nebulas (Nebulae?) which were all removed before Beta 4.Wing Fortress Zone has a bunch of changes mentioned on the Hidden Palace Zone article, and Death Egg is identical but for graphical glitches.
This post has been edited by GoldS: 14 February 2019 - 06:42 PM

#24 User is offline grap3fruitman 

Posted 14 February 2019 - 06:50 PM

  • Posts: 3116
  • Joined: 19-February 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:5

View PostSuper Egg, on 14 February 2019 - 03:56 AM, said:

Got this bitch open in IDA, looking at the watermark bits, found this gem.

Posted Image

I wonder if there's a way to get this screen to load?
https://www.youtube....h?v=cJyqLbwNcMs

#25 User is offline Flygon 

Posted 14 February 2019 - 07:47 PM

  • Dem Melons
  • Posts: 3069
  • Joined: 10-February 06
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Victoria, Australia
  • Project:SMSRPG
  • Wiki edits:10
I can't believe yet another prototype has been found! Exciting news.

#26 User is offline Super Egg 

Posted 14 February 2019 - 07:56 PM

  • Master of MS Paint.
  • Posts: 288
  • Joined: 01-July 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tomball, TEXAS
  • Project:Sonic 2 beta 3 hoax
  • Wiki edits:46

View Postgrap3fruitman, on 14 February 2019 - 06:50 PM, said:

View PostSuper Egg, on 14 February 2019 - 03:56 AM, said:

Got this bitch open in IDA, looking at the watermark bits, found this gem.

Posted Image

I wonder if there's a way to get this screen to load?
https://www.youtube....h?v=cJyqLbwNcMs


I'd have to disassemble that ROM and nab it. I have most of the watermark screen disassembled, and I'm not seeing anything that looks like that. I guess I could disassemble it from the Lethal Enforcers and keep track of their splash screens. just for fun.

Also interesting to note, the Splash Screen isn't it's own screen mode, the splash screen is actually in the initializing table at the beginning of the ROM that defines game crashes. So, that's neat.

#27 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 15 February 2019 - 02:02 PM

  • Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Posts: 17149
  • Joined: 12-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Berkshire, England
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204

View PostGrind Monkee, on 14 February 2019 - 06:31 PM, said:

If this happened 13 years ago when I joined this forum, we'd be at 20something pages by now.
Love all of your work though Drx. Always have. Keep fighting the fight for preservation rather than hoarding.

Curious to see what all of the differences are between this and the other betas, although at face level it doesn't seem to be much.

Don't be too down on it, I think part of it is being mid-week and it being so close to Beta 4. Still a fascinating piece of S2s timeline.

#28 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 15 February 2019 - 02:37 PM

  • match up tails to the cards
  • Posts: 4702
  • Joined: 27-December 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northumberland, England
  • Project:you just can't catch 'em, wiggly worms
  • Wiki edits:20,569
The oil slides in Oil Ocean zone play the wrong sound effect.

#29 User is offline GoldS 

Posted 15 February 2019 - 02:50 PM

  • Posts: 199
  • Joined: 18-August 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:USA
  • Wiki edits:35

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 15 February 2019 - 02:37 PM, said:

The oil slides in Oil Ocean zone play the wrong sound effect.

Oh yeah, it's playing sound $D0 instead of $F0. Simple typo, I guess.

#30 User is offline NoNameAtAll 

Posted 15 February 2019 - 04:13 PM

  • MY HAT'S ON FIRE. HALP!
  • Posts: 533
  • Joined: 05-March 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:12
Just when I thought the well was dry, this pops up. :v:

Cool find!

  • 5 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • Last ►
    Locked
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users