Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: I'm running a poll about Sonic fandom - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

I'm running a poll about Sonic fandom Specifically, is the era you started with your favorite?

#1 User is offline Josh 

Posted 30 December 2018 - 09:56 PM

• TGC Warrior
  • Wiki edits:1
Here's the poll: https://www.strawpoll.me/17141313/

And yeah, I'm aware that not everyone's going to agree with these delineations of eras, and that what I'm defining as "modern" is way too long. I guess I could have gone "pre-Generations" and "post-Generations," or something, but eh.

The idea here is to see how much truth there is to the idea that most Sonic fans really just want what they grew up with, and how favored each era is among that group. Not that there's anything wrong with nostalgia, but it's something that gets bandied about a lot with Sonic, especially.

I'm posting it here because Twitter and Reddit both skew pretty young, haha. I've only gotten three votes as of now from people who started with the classic era, and one of them was me! :P

#2 User is offline 360 

Posted 30 December 2018 - 10:01 PM

• Light Vision Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon
Cool idea. Voted "Classic and it's my favourite". Looking at your results we're getting torpedoed by the Sonic Adventure massive - which at a guess is because Sonic skews young nowadays.

By the way you make awesome videos! Excited to see your new material in the other Sonic retrospective thread. Especially the Sonic 06 one.

#3 User is offline Josh 

Posted 30 December 2018 - 10:05 PM

• TGC Warrior
Yeah, it's kinda strange. My YouTube demographics tell me that a little over half of TGC viewers are around my own age, 30. But I ran an age poll on Twitter a few months back, and found that a majority of people who follow me there skew about a decade younger!

I'm guessing that's more down to the demographics of the sites themselves, though. Just about everyone's on YouTube, but "newer" social media platforms like Twitter probably have more active members that skew a bit younger, whereas us oldbies are the ones keeping these antiquated message boards going, haha.

#4 User is offline TheBdude 

Posted 30 December 2018 - 10:44 PM

• What do you mean, "your eMachine can't play Mania"?
I began with the modern era, and while I do think I'm probably more tolerant of the newer games questionable quality than most my heart is definitely with Sonic 3. I think a good follow up quiz would be "If you voted that your era wasn't your favorite, what was your favorite era?"

#5 User is offline TheKazeblade 

Posted 30 December 2018 - 11:45 PM

• "Our Life is More than a Side-Effect"
I voted "Adventure but it's not my favorite." But it was really tough, because while the Adventure era was where I got into Sonic, I read the comics and played the PC ports of the Classics and the Saturn games before I actually owned a Dreamcast (even though I DID play Adventure at Dreamcast kiosks first). But ultimately I have to be able to separate how I view the Adventure titles and the great ideas that they strive for from the actual products. And the fact that only roughly 2 of the five titles of the era are solid by any stretch.

#6 User is offline FollOw 

Posted 30 December 2018 - 11:53 PM

• Up down and all around
  • Project:My own music, ask me about it
I voted classic and its my favorite...I'm shocked its not in the lead...

#7 User is offline Skyler 

Posted 31 December 2018 - 12:07 AM

• Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール
  • Project:The next audtion
  • Wiki edits:136
Put this post in the video pls.

#8 User is offline TheInvisibleSun 

Posted 31 December 2018 - 12:56 AM

• OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST
  • Project:Sonic 1 Color Contrast
Genesis 2 Sonic 2 bundle guy here, reporting for duty. It was a present for my older brother at the time, so I was the de facto "Yeah your totally playing!" Tails kid.

#9 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 31 December 2018 - 02:26 AM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
I grew up with a Genesis with Sonic 1 and 2, but Sonic Adventure has to be my favorite.

#10 User is offline Supakitsune 

Posted 31 December 2018 - 02:50 AM

• It's TECHNOSTASY, SINCE 1987
  • Wiki edits:7
The first one I owned was Adventure (and the Smash Pack disc with Sonic 1 on it), but the first ones I actually ever got anywhere near beating were Adventure 2 Battle and Sonic and Knuckles Collection. So it's a toss-up, but I kind of consider Adventure my first anyway. My favorites are the classic era (mostly just CD, the 3 saga, and Mania), but Adventure, especially the modern polish-up done by people like MainMemory and PkR, is a very close second.
Adventure 2 Battle used to be a big favorite of mine, but the PC/PS3 port let me re-examine it and caused me to have much more negative feelings about it. I realized I mostly just enjoyed the fun I had with friends playing Battle mode, and was upset about how badly SA2 trashed the series going forward.
On that front I've mellowed out too, though; I can see how they actually did attempt to tie things together into the Sonic 3-through-Adventure mythos. It wasn't perfect, but it was the last, like, relatively consistent game in the series before it all fell off the rails. Nothing's come close in terms of story cohesion and the sense of a plot with a proper through-line between games since.
Sorry for the sudden rant, but the topic got me thinking.
Now HEROES on the other hand...Yikes.

#11 User is offline Zephyr 

Posted 31 December 2018 - 03:00 AM

• Wiki edits:2
With the "Classic era" obviously representing the antiquity of the series, and Modern being Modern, is it about time we recognize the "Adventure era" as Medieval Sonic?

#12 User is offline XRick 

Posted 31 December 2018 - 03:53 AM

• Wiki edits:2
I started with 8-Bit Sonic before having the chance to play some 16-Bit Sonic like 1, 2 & S&K, at some friends' house.
While the Classic Era marked my childhood quite a lot, the Adventures Games made me start to see Sonic as a series with a potential storyline, and also made me wanna delve deeper into the franchise.

And @Josh, while I do have a Twitter account...I don't follow yours. Sorry.
Only this past couple weeks did I see your reviews, and it was because you posted about them here.
This post has been edited by XRick: 31 December 2018 - 12:14 PM

#13 User is offline Aerosol 

Posted 31 December 2018 - 12:00 PM

• FML and FU2
  • Project:Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
I can't answer it. I don't have a favourite era. I like them all for different reasons.

#14 User is offline saintminya 

Posted 31 December 2018 - 01:06 PM

• Project:music production, mental archiving.
Very nifty idea at work here. Voted as Starting with Classic and still a major fan. It was tempting to vote for Adventure though, as that boosted by fandom to new heights. Ultimately though I started with Sonic 1 and loved the all the classics up to and including 3D Blast, and 3K has been my favorite ever since my initial playthrough as a kid.

#15 User is online Laughingcow 

Posted 31 December 2018 - 01:36 PM

I don't really have a favorite era but I loath the modern era. I started in the classics though.

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users